Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Weather.. Dublin needs to "man up".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Firstly there are lot more than 26 people in Mayo, Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Donegal etc all of which have had terrible winter conditions since December 20th.

Only just. And lets be honest, between myself and yourself, these people arent 'real' people, they're mainly savages..... I'd maybe count to or three of them as a full person for the purpose of statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

drkpower wrote: »
    Only just. And lets be honest, between myself and yourself, these people arent 'real' people, they're mainly savages..... I'd maybe count to or three of them as a full person for the purpose of statistics.

Will ya ever just cop yourself on. Insulting people isnt going to prove your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

when you have almost half a milliuon people trying to get home from one area all at once and every form of transport is affected, then yes, it is news.

When I get home this evening, I'll spare a thought for all those affected worse than myself. until then, I'm looking out for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Saw a guy driving a white Honda Civic yesterday evening, very loud exhaust, he was pulling out of an estate flying it. He got his car sideways and it spun around, hit a curb and part of his bodykit came off. Funniest thing ever. Would be funny in any part of the country. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Will ya ever just cop yourself on. Insulting people isnt going to prove your point.

:DPlease tell me you didnt genuinely think I was being serious..... Surely this is a joke thread. Because a bunch of country people whining about a bunch of Dublin people whining is surely not a serious matter, is it?:D

• Advertisement

muffy wrote: »
    Snow is not the problem, it's ice on the roads which subsequent snowfall is worsening, was in Galway over New Year's, was much better than Dublin is now. Could walk on the footpaths and that without much slipping!
    Edit: Has be frozen in Dublin since before Christmas. Secondary roads and estates not safe.

Actually snow is the problem... Its formed into pack ice on the roads meaning a lot of villages are completely inaccessible. Some people have been virtually trapped in their homes for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Actually snow is the problem... Its formed into pack ice on the roads meaning a lot of villages are completely inaccessible. Some people have been virtually trapped in their homes for weeks.

We should send them some virtual help then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

....Which is what happened in Dublin yesterday, snow became pack ice, hundreds of thousands of people tried to drive and either had to crawl home or abandon and walk, yes people walked hours to get home. Dublin is not a rural village people do not expect there to be a risk of their places of work or residences becoming inaccessible. I'm sorry but that is the risk of living in a rural location, I am in a rural location and I ain't going nowhere on them roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The whole country needs to man up. You'd swear that we had the worst weather in the WORLD. All we need to do is look at other countries and how they cope with snow for 5 months of the year and be grateful we don't have it as bad as them

I wondered this too - how do these countries manage for a whole winter of this! Either they have very well built and insulated homes or their Gas/Oil/Elec is very cheap! If I had months of this I would have to sell one of the kids to pay the gas bills:eek:

Jaden wrote: »
    We should send them some virtual help then.

You still here? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wondered this too - how do these countries manage for a whole winter of this! Either they have very well built and insulated homes or their Gas/Oil/Elec is very cheap! If I had months of this I would have to sell one of the kids to pay the gas bills:eek:

As far as I know they properly insulate their houses! Its a different kind of cold I guess, Polish chap I work with (this guy is big, he does Mountain Rescue and the like) was sitting shivering in the workshop basement unable to get warm as it is so damp. I noticed in Berlin the cold gets you but you warm up if you move about as there is no penetrating dampness! I wouldn't sell the child, rather train it to fetch firewood and other fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

You know what - those who are upset by people living in Dublin (not necessarily Dubs) venting their frustration yesterday are showing yourselves up to be completely prejudiced with massive chips on your shoulders.

Its like when I child falls or gets sick and the other child gets jealous that the genuinely sick child is getting attention and pretends that they have an injury too.

There is coverage about the weather all over the country. Yesterday there was a massive crisis as thousands of people were trying to get home from one area when their normal means of transport was unreliable. We're talking about thousands of people - so naturally it's big news!!!

When the west was hit with flooding a few a weeks ago you didn't hear anyone anywhere, be it on boards or elsewhere, trying to create threads or discussion going

'ah sure it's only a bit of rain - what are they talking about'?

Most decent people would empathise with whatever challenges everybody in the country is going through at the moment, including the thousands of people in Dublin yesterday.

Why are there are so many posters on this site who are try to trivialise people's hardship based on where a person is living or where they come from?

Can you not hear yourselves? Its actually amusing to hear some of you get so worked up about this. Its like some of you are sitting in your snowed in houses with no running water or electricity shivering under a blanket and you're actually staying alive with the warmth from the anger brewing inside of you as a result of a couple of news bulletins! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dolliemix wrote: »
    You know what - those who are upset by people living in Dublin.............
    .........................................anger brewing inside of you as a result of a couple of news bulletins!

LOL.

As far as I know they properly insulate their houses! Its a different kind of cold I guess, Polish chap I work with (this guy is big, he does Mountain Rescue and the like) was sitting shivering in the workshop basement unable to get warm as it is so damp. I noticed in Berlin the cold gets you but you warm up if you move about as there is no penetrating dampness! I wouldn't sell the child, rather train it to fetch firewood and other fuel.

I was helping build a house for a Swiss man whos living here in Mayo, and yes they definitely insulate their houses a lot better than we do. He was having it built the Swiss way and even though it was snowing outside the house was relatively warm inside even with no heating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We get a different type of snow in Dublin.

You know what - those who are upset by people living in Dublin (not necessarily Dubs) venting their frustration yesterday are showing yourselves up to be completely prejudiced with massive chips on your shoulders.

Its like when I child falls or gets sick and the other child gets jealous that the genuinely sick child is getting attention and pretends that they have an injury too.

There is coverage about the weather all over the country. Yesterday there was a massive crisis as thousands of people were trying to get home from one area when their normal means of transport was unreliable. We're talking about thousands of people - so naturally it's big news!!!

When the west was hit with flooding a few a weeks ago you didn't hear anyone anywhere, be it on boards or elsewhere, trying to create threads or discussion going

'ah sure it's only a bit of rain - what are they talking about'?

Most decent people would empathise with whatever challenges everybody in the country is going through at the moment, including the thousands of people in Dublin yesterday.

Why are there are so many posters on this site who are try to trivialise people's hardship based on where a person is living or where they come from?

Can you not hear yourselves? Its actually amusing to hear some of you get so worked up about this. Its like some of you are sitting in your snowed in houses with no running water or electricity shivering under a blanket and you're actually staying alive with the warmth from the anger brewing inside of you as a result of a couple of news bulletins! :D

You're completely missing the point. I'm not denying there are problems in Dublin but there have severe weather conditions in many parts of the country for weeks which the media more or less ignored. Its only when it happened in Dublin it became an major crisis in the eyes of the media, and judging by the reaction here many people seem to agree with the media.

You're completely missing the point. I'm not denying there are problems in Dublin but there have severe weather conditions in many parts of the country for weeks which the media more or less ignored. Its only when it happened in Dublin it became an major crisis in the eyes of the media, and judging by the reaction here many people seem to agree with the media.

I didn't miss the point.

I'm well aware the road and weather conditions have been bad all over the country for weeks. And I mentioned that in my post if you read it properly. How did I know about this? - from watching the news and reading the papers.

The bad weather has been well publicised over the last few weeks - I really don't know why people are claiming otherwise.

You're missing the point by not knowing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

tis the media alright. i think we got away very lightly in dublin. the way the media are talking about it you would think it was "the day after tomorrow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

In other countries, winter tyres are mandatory for certain months of the year, the authorities have way more gritters, snow ploughs, and the like, and people are used to it.
    Still, even in places like the northern USA, the first snow of the year is generally known as Idiot day, where roads are jammed, people crash, and it takes hours to get home. If it was like this regularly here, people would get used to it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

tis the media alright. i think we got away very lightly in dublin. the way the media are talking about it you would think it was "the day after tomorrow"

Technically today is the day after tomorrow! :pac:

The media are going all tabloid on it alright.

• Advertisement

I didn't miss the point.

I'm well aware the road and weather conditions have been bad all over the country for weeks. And I mentioned that in my post if you read it properly. How did I know about this? - from watching the news and reading the papers.

The bad weather has been well publicised over the last few weeks - I really don't know why people are claiming otherwise.

You're missing the point by not knowing that!

The media only starting treating it as crisis when Dublin was hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Let me know when you figure out why this is so.....

It was worse in Dublin :confused: people taking hours to travel 2 miles? How is that not a crisis? What are conditions like in your part of the world, are there thousands of people trying to get back to their homes on your unaccessible roads? Because that is what the situation was yesterday. In Dublin. And continues today except for people are apparently a little more prepared.

It was worse in Dublin :confused: people taking hours to travel 2 miles? How is that not a crisis? What are conditions like in your part of the world, are there thousands of people trying to get back to their homes on your unaccessible roads? Because that is what the situation was yesterday. In Dublin. And continues today except for people are apparently a little more prepared.

I'd consider thousands of people being trapped in their homes a crisis, yes.

I'd consider thousands of people being trapped in their homes a crisis, yes.

Define "trapped"? Trapped as in they cannot get out as there is an 8ft snow drift against their houses? Or trapped as they are unable to drive on the roads to the nearest town or shop?
    EDIT:I'd consider a capital city ground to a halt and people not being able to get home save to walk long distances a crisis, if you don't then why don't the people who are "trapped" in their homes get out and walk? (This does not of course apply to the elderly and infirm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

It's not that the water mains in my area froze, leaving me with no water, or that the pipes to the boiler burst, leaving me without heat. I just decided to switch the mains off & sabotaged the boiler for the fun of it.

I thought it would help me man up.

Sure who needs heat when it's only minus 10 degrees?! ;)

A bit of cold?

Sure can't you snuggle up and get a little bit of heat off the cow and donkey you've got in the corner of the sitting room:D

Define "trapped"? Trapped as in they cannot get out as there is an 8ft snow drift against their houses? Or trapped as they are unable to drive on the roads to the nearest town or shop?

It was impossible to walk or drive on the roads because they were covered in a thick layer of pack ice. In some cases entire villages were impossible to reach. I know you mightnt consider that "trapped" in a literal sense but in reality it was impossible fot people in this situation to get anywhere.

It was impossible to walk or drive on the roads because they were covered in a thick layer of pack ice. In some cases entire villages were impossible to reach. I know you mightnt consider that "trapped" in a literal sense but in reality it was impossible fot people in this situation to get anywhere.

Villages? As in a group of houses, a pub a shop and a post office? Why did they need to be reached except in case of emergency? Had the not sufficient supplies between the shop and the pub or what-have-you? People in remote houses of course are trapped but one would hope they foresaw this, or aided and elderly people in this situation
    Certainly can't walk on your average Dublin footpath right now. Far to dangerous for anyone elderly, infirm, or pregnant etc, and has been for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

have to love rte news, the woman reporting from carlow ends her report with pushing a car.....

now a live interview with some councillor and his phone is ringing and hes getting flustered! clearly some pals see him on tv and getting a good laugh ringin his phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Electricity is out!!! A bit of snow and the country comes to standstill!!

Why do you care so much about the media? I really don't get this obsession some people from the country have about getting as much airtime as everyone else. You have to be realistic. There's a difference between the interest that would be generated over a community of 30 people in bally gowesht than literally tens of thousands of people trying to move around at the same time in a limited area in lethal weather conditions. C'est la Vie!

Just watching Six One news. There is no emphasis on Dublin at all. Its a nationwide campaign and the Government have taken that on now.

Weather conditions have been bad all over the country for the last few weeks - North, South , East and West.

What happened in Dublin yesterday has forced the Government to come out now and say they will be dealing with this nationally. Up until today it was seen as a local issue.

So maybe you should be thanking the Dubs for highlighting the urgency of the situation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Hey everybody,

This is a representative from the media, yes it is true that we didn't give a **** about the snow till it hit Dublin, home of the brave.

We were aware that the ice had invaded the north-west well before Christmas, but to be brutally honest Bono was busking in Grafton street and that bumped it of the line-up.

On another note we are trying to get the internet banned in every county except Dublin.

The Media

Why do you care so much about the media? I really don't get this obsession some people from the country have about getting as much airtime as everyone else. You have to be realistic. There's a difference between the interest that would be generated over a community of 30 people in bally gowesht than literally tens of thousands of people trying to move around at the same time in a limited area in lethal weather conditions. C'est la Vie!

Just watching Six One news. There is no emphasis on Dublin at all. Its a nationwide campaign and the Government have taken that on now.

Weather conditions have been bad all over the country for the last few weeks - North, South , East and West.

What happened in Dublin yesterday has forced the Government to come out now and say they will be dealing with this nationally. Up until today it was seen as a local issue.

So maybe you should be thanking the Dubs for highlighting the urgency of the situation :D

But it wasnt just a small area that was affected it was a large region of the country. This has come up a few times people saying 'Ah sure its only little villages that were hit' well it wasnt it affected entire counties.

EDIT:I'd consider a capital city ground to a halt and people not being able to get home save to walk long distances a crisis, if you don't then why don't the people who are "trapped" in their homes get out and walk? (This does not of course apply to the elderly and infirm)

I do consider whats happening in Dublin a crisis. Where did I say otherwise?
    Villages? As in a group of houses, a pub a shop and a post office? Why did they need to be reached except in case of emergency? Had the not sufficient supplies between the shop and the pub or what-have-you? People in remote houses of course are trapped but one would hope they foresaw this, or aided and elderly people in this situation
    Certainly can't walk on your average Dublin footpath right now. Far to dangerous for anyone elderly, infirm, or pregnant etc, and has been for some time.

Many small villages dont have a shop anymore. Mine doesnt but thankfully I live in an area the council managed to keep clear of ice.

• Advertisement

I do consider whats happening in Dublin a crisis. Where did I say otherwise?

Ea, you've been implying all along that it hasn't been worthy of news coverage, that it has been happening down the country for weeks, gives me the impression that you don't think much of the situation here.

Many small villages dont have a shop anymore. Mine doesnt but thankfully I live in an area the council managed to keep clear of ice.

If there is no shop it's hardly a village anymore is it? More a collection of houses? Did people in these areas not foresee this and try to stock up when they could?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

a-k-47 wrote: »
    even worse calling any bag of crisps, 'crips'. Homie

Says AK47...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭xcarriex

I get that people from the country have had bad weather longer and nobody is stealing the thunder from yis, but on christmas day i almost had a few smashes in the momo, and that was after sitting for 6 hrs in a&e with my sister in law who had a bad fall, i have heard plenty of reports about how badly affected people outside Dublin were, so we were well aware of no water, people unable to get to the shops etc, we had it in Dublin too we just didnt whinge about that! What happened yesterday was a nightmare, i got into the car and couldnt walk im 3 mths pregnant, and while there was the few idiots on the road, the majority were driving slow and making sure they got home ok and i was quite content to sit there for whatever period of time it took! Yeah it was a shambles and a disaster, but just because Dublin was on the front page of the newspapers, dont think we havent forgotten there is life outside dublin haha!

But it wasnt just a small area that was affected it was a large region of the country. This has come up a few times people saying 'Ah sure its only little villages that were hit' well it wasnt it affected entire counties.

Nobody is saying that.

You need to put things into perspective. RTE can't report on every single village and every single person who is affected.

Thats like me saying RTE didn't come to my estate. There are old people in my apartment block who can't go to the shop because of the ice. I haven't been able to drive since New Years Eve. Its not fair that RTE haven't shown the rest of the country whats happening in my estate!

The media will cover a certain sample of people. Thats the way it goes.

There was a lenghty report from Carlow on Six One tonight. THey also showed reported about conditions in Donegal, Kilkenny, Wexford and Sligo.

Tonight Prime Time is concentrating on the floods in Cork in November.

How have you missed all of this?

Ea, you've been implying all along that it hasn't been worthy of news coverage, that it has been happening down the country for weeks, gives me the impression that you don't think much of the situation here.

If there is no shop it's hardly a village anymore is it? More a collection of houses? Did people in these areas not foresee this and try to stock up when they could?

No I think its worthy of coverage, but so was whats been happening further west. And RTE and co didnt really see how important this was until Dublin was hit.

And how are people supposed to realise the roads would be this bad for so long? Its been 3 weeks now. Also the definition of a village where I'm from is exactly that-a collection of houses. Some have shops and pubs some don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

No I think its worthy of coverage, but so was whats been happening further west. And RTE and co didnt really see how important this was until Dublin was hit.

Oh really?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1229/weather1.html
    That was the 29th of Dec.
    Places named: Wicklow, Kerry, Clare, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo, and even Northern Ireland. Dublin isn't even mentioned.

Not all Dubs made a huge deal out of yesterday. Yes, it was a pain getting home for most of us, and getting out again today, but majority of us just got on with it.

This whole Dublin v everyone else lark is boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

[quote=[Deleted User];63848960]Totally agree, OP. We were without water for 4 days over Christmas. Happens almost every year. If that happened in Dublin you'd have people on the news wailing about how the world was ending.[/QUOTE]
    That's cos we haven't all got wells in our gardens like you lot.....
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

And RTE and co didnt really see how important this was until Dublin was hit.

It did. Full stop, it did. Farming reports, rural reports. It was a follow on from the massive floodings that hit the headlines for days at a time.

Look, RTE started reporting when the city got in motion. People from all over the country, including your village live in Dublin. Everyone got back to work and the iced up roads couldn't handle it, that is major news Shacklebolt. A&E is full of injured, some very seriously elderly people. I have seen this first hand. There is a serious about of pub talk and boll**** about Dublin going around lately, mainly by people who haven't a fookin clue about the city, and living there does not mean you know it. If a capital city is gridlock for a few hours, it effects BIG businesses, LOTS of emergency services, BIG hospitals treating people from all over the country, even your village, commuters (thousands of them). IT effects commerce, and all of our pockets.

That's the way it is Shackle, no two ways about it, now man up and deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I think this thread proves it's actually Irish people that like to moan.

Listen to Joe Duffy, you'll find plenty of people from outside Dublin moaning on it. Plenty of Pauline from Galways and Mary from Cork. It's not just Jacinta from Cabra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 XxTanyaxX67

clown bag wrote: »
    In fairness sligo probably doesn't have half the country living or working in it every day. Would anyone really notice if the north west fell into the Atlantic some day? Would probably be weeks before it got a 2 line snippet in the bottom corner of page 27 in the paper.
    Sligo????

It started snowing in the North West of Ireland before Christmas Eve - since then we've had more snow, extremely treacherous roads with most secondary & backroads ungritted for over 2 weeks. Parts of Sligo were without mains water for several days. Our house had no water or heat for 3 days & we couldn't get out of the house due to the roads, or even get any supllies of water, food or fuel delivered for the same reason.

While the rest of the country has had it bad for over 2 weeks, Dublin has had a relatively easy time of it. Yet, the media have little to say about it. The first time I saw TV coverage of Sligo was on yesterday's news, when guess what? Yup - part of the Sligo to Dublin road was partially snowed over.

Then, today it snowed in Dublin. And all bloomin' day, all I've heard on the radio & TV - reports of "atrocious" weather & "horrific" conditions... and why? All because people spent an hour or two extra trying to get home.

Well, try living without water, try living without heat - or try living in a rural area where you are essentially cut off - then try combining all those 3 & then start complaining.

No-one is arguing that the weather isn't bad in the capital, or that the roads aren't bad, but Dublin, you seriously need to man up.
    First of all it took most ppl 4 to 5 hrs to get home and try to drive over an inch tick of ice on roads motor ways etc with hundrets of cars around ye, you's have it alri all your fields an all, i wouldn mind drivin on ur rds all u have to worry about is hitin a cow or god forbid a hay bale!! come to Dublin for a week an ull see why its all over the news..

Have you ppl not seen the news, Dublin an Meath are hit the worst.. try drive on rds an inch tick of ice main rds/motor ways etc with cars everywere skiddin in ur direction an then ul see why we are complaning. you's are ok u dont have busy rds like us and trucks jack knifin on every rd u go on.. plus if u ask me the news are paintin a very light picture of what the roads are like in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

First of all it took most ppl 4 to 5 hrs to get home and try to drive over an inch tick of ice on roads motor ways etc with hundrets of cars around ye, you's have it alri all your fields an all, i wouldn mind drivin on ur rds all u have to worry about is hitin a cow or god forbid a hay bale!! come to Dublin for a week an ull see why its all over the news..

Yeah a cow or a hay bale is all we have to worry about. No need to ask where you're from, I can hear it in your diction an all an anyways. Venture out past Lucan some time and you will be amazed to see other towns, cars, buildings, motorways and people!!!!!!!
    A truck jack knifed in front of me last week. We're just able to grasp the concept of driving on ice without revving the shíte out of our engines and pulling wheelspins all over the road!

Grow up and stop making ignorant comments like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement