Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which mpv

• 06-01-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello new user here, We are buying a 2nd hand mpv and have narrowed it down to a renault grand scenic (7seater) opel zafira and a toyota corrola verso.,(all boring i know cash shortage and 3 young children have turned me) could anybody give me their experience of these cars good and bad greatly appreciated or is there any mpv forum web site
    thanks peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Corolla has the best seating system, the Renault has the cleverest interior and is the cheapest second hand. The Corolla is next to impossible to find in a diesel whereas the Renault is very popular in diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Corolla has the best seating system, the Renault has the cleverest interior and is the cheapest second hand. The Corolla is next to impossible to find in a diesel whereas the Renault is very popular in diesel.

There are 1 or 2 Verso diesels on Carzone at the moment...05/06 models for about €14k. My missus has been running a Verso diesel for 2 yrs and cannot fault it. My only gripe is I think the boot is not big enough compared to the Zafira which we had once for 2 weeks on holiday. Its dull to drive but she's driving it but then again they are all dull to drive.

Agree on the Verso seating system...middle row seats all move independently of each other and they all recline aswell which my lads love on long journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 peter ryan

Thanks

will try and get a test drive of verso and renault scenic hey they are all pretty dull but needs must

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

my vote goes for the renault. its fairly stylish also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd add the Mazda 5 and Ford S-Max to the list too, both are pretty spacious as they are based on cars which are bigger than those that the Verso, Zafira and Scenic are.

The most important thing with MPVs though is their practicality, not style or looks. The S-Max has plenty of room and the Mazda 5 has rear sliding doors for easy rear access.

Mazda 5
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195859310

Ford S-Max:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200950196177750

If the above are too bulky then I would also check out the 6 seater Honda FR-V, a work collegue bought one of these recently and I was impressed with how practical it was considering it doesn't look big from the outside:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200950196177568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

Im with bazz26 on this one some great motors. Toyota either but not the opel. Thats only my opinion without looking into great detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I liked the Touran because its not too big and has a massive boot.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd add the Mazda 5 and Ford S-Max to the list too, both are pretty spacious as they are based on cars which are bigger than those that the Verso, Zafira and Scenic are.
    The Corolla Verso is based on the Avensis platform. the Mazda 5 is based on the Mazda 3

BostonB wrote: »
    I liked the Touran because its not too big and has a massive boot.
    On the 7 seat version (which doesn't get a spare wheel) ??

The Corolla Verso is based on the Avensis platform. the Mazda 5 is based on the Mazda 3

The Corolla seems a lot smaller. Especially compared to the Toyota Avensis Verso. Theres a newer Corolla Verso now which looks a little bigger.

On the 7 seat version (which doesn't get a spare wheel) ??

Its the same boot space afaik. The popup seats in the 7 seater take up the space of the spare wheel in the 5 seater. Which I don't like, I'd prefer to have a wheel. But the extra seats are handly. But the boot is the same.

A lot of cars have no spare wheel now. The S-Max I think is one.

my point is all 7 seaters have enormous boots with the rear seats folded.

The Corolla Verso is actually wider than the Avensis Verso and has more middle seat room and front legroom. It isn't as tall though and has a longer bonnet.
    A lot of cars have no spare wheel now. The S-Max I think is one.
    Doesn't make it right though. Especially in a car where you could have 5 screaming kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

I went thru this process recently and happly settled on the Toyota Verso,
    and got a 2.2 diesel.

It sips fuel and goes real fast in compared to our old Estima 7 seater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

peter ryan wrote: »
    Hello new user here, We are buying a 2nd hand mpv and have narrowed it down to a renault grand scenic (7seater) opel zafira and a toyota corrola verso.,(all boring i know cash shortage and 3 young children have turned me) could anybody give me their experience of these cars good and bad greatly appreciated or is there any mpv forum web site
    thanks peter

On some of those you cannot fit 3 kiddie seats in the middle row!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doesn't make it right though. Especially in a car where you could have 5 screaming kids.

Most of the cars will be driven by people that wont be changign the wheel themselves anyway. They can handle a little compressor with a can of tyre weld though :)

Whats the story with the Verso models so? If the Corrolla Verso is based on the Avensis,Is there a reason why the corrolla Verso wasnt the one that was dropped (even if in name only) and the Avensis Verso kept?

si_guru wrote: »
    On some of those you cannot fit 3 kiddie seats in the middle row!!!!

Thats the main thing I found. A lot of MPV's have narrow middle seats. Which is useless to me. Need two kids seats and an adult to fit.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Most of the cars will be driven by people that wont be changign the wheel themselves anyway. They can handle a little compressor with a can of tyre weld though :)
    Not much good if you buckle the alloy from whacking it off a kerb or pothole.

Whats the story with the Verso models so? If the Corrolla Verso is based on the Avensis,Is there a reason why the corrolla Verso wasnt the one that was dropped (even if in name only) and the Avensis Verso kept?
    The original Corolla Verso was based on a model called the Spacio (based on the 02 Corolla) that was an early 2001 Japanese model. they ran it to compete with the Scenic, it bombed, so they pullled it after 18 months and launched the new model. AFAIK the 2001 model Spacio continues to be sold in other markets.

The Avensis Verso was also based on the Avensis but was launched in 2001 so by 2007 (It was a replacement for the smaller Toyota Picnic 7 seater both called Ipsum in Japan) it had reached the end if it's product cycle (production actually ended in 2006).
    It wasn't built to the same safety standards as the Corolla Verso and the only feature worth noting was the placement of the spare wheel under the passenger seat which freed up a load of space behind the rear seats - the boot floor actually goes down as far as the bottom of the bumper. The 03 Avensis (saloon) and 04 Corolla Verso have a design called MICS which is a bodyshell safety design which the Avensis Verso didn't have despite technically sharing a platform

The Corolla Verso met 5 star NCAP requirements (was the safest of the MPVs when scored) and had a far bigger market than the Avensis Verso, also Toyota want to get their collective emissions down so the smaller MPV was obviously the one they'd keep.

The Avensis Verso was to be replaced by a newer larger MPV that would also replace the ageing Previa. I think the 2004 model Sienna was deemedto be the most likely model that would come to Europe, but by the time they would get it homolgomated to European standards and get a European engine line-up the model would be a few years old. They probably figured they wouldn't sell enough of them to justify it.

The thing with Toyota is that they have a myriad of models to choose from, I think they have 90 models on sale in Japan. sometimes models brought to and sold in Europe overlap for whatever reason (product cycles, new types of vehicle etc).

my point is all 7 seaters have enormous boots with the rear seats folded.

The Corolla Verso is actually wider than the Avensis Verso and has more middle seat room and front legroom. It isn't as tall though and has a longer bonnet.

I thought myself the Verso has one of the smallest, even with the seats down. The rear folding seats are also very tight. Still a good sized boot though. With 5 seats I think its 607 litres vs Touran 695 litres. I quite liked the Corolla though. Quite wide in the back. But when I was looking it was quite a good bit more expensive than other MPV's.

Theres actually a lot of stubtle differences between all the MPV's you need to get in and play with all the seats go for a drive to get a feel for which one suits.

Not many have quintuplets. Well done you. :D

I don't like not having a spare wheel. Its a poor design. Though as Stekelly says most of the time the person driving the MPV is just doing local trips and is unlikely to change a wheel anyway. If I was doing a longer trip I'd propbably be using a roofbox and source a spare and jack from somewhere. But hardly do long road trips and rarely have got a roadside puncture. But then am usually near people who could come and help and the insurance has roadside assistance anyway.

If you are doing lots of long trips and get punctures then obviously you'd have to get something with a spare, even a full sized one.

You choose the compromise that suits you.

I thought myself the Verso has one of the smallest, even with the seats down. The rear folding seats are also very tight. Still a good sized boot though. With 5 seats I think its 607 litres vs Touran 695 litres. I quite liked the Corolla though. Quite wide in the back. But when I was looking it was quite a good bit more expensive than other MPV's.
    Depends on what position the sliding middle row is in. usually in its rearmost position there is way too much legroom in the middle row - the floor is very low relative to the seats.

But as you said you choose the compromise that suits you. For me the ease of use of the seats in a small MPV would be a huge factor.

Thats the main thing I found. A lot of MPV's have narrow middle seats. Which is useless to me. Need two kids seats and an adult to fit.

Or if you have 2 kiddie seats you cannot put one in the centre so you can tip the other side seat to use row 3.

Not much good if you buckle the alloy from whacking it off a kerb or pothole. ...

In over 20yrs I don't know anyone who has ever done that. I'm sure it does happen but not very often.

Or if you have 2 kiddie seats you cannot put one in the centre so you can tip the other side seat to use row 3.

Why can you not put a kiddie seat in the center? If it has a full belt and wide enough to fit. Is there some other reason? We generally don't do it seperate the kids so they don't mess with each other.

• Advertisement

Depends on what position the sliding middle row is in. usually in its rearmost position there is way too much legroom in the middle row - the floor is very low relative to the seats.....

Some just are slightly better than others. That said we rarely use the last row. It expected that to be the case its just handy if you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Please DO NOT buy a Renault Scenic. I own one and it is the worst car I have ever bought. Constantly breaking down, things going SERIOUSLY wrong with it. I bought it because I have kids, dogs etc., and needed a bigger car. It is always letting me down and spends a lot of time on the back of a breakdown truck. Renault don't want to know. A lot of my neighbours have Zafiras (00 - 09 reg) and they all work brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Peter,

I have sent a P.M. to you.

Grainne

Why can you not put a kiddie seat in the center? If it has a full belt and wide enough to fit. Is there some other reason? We generally don't do it seperate the kids so they don't mess with each other.

in some cars the side seat won't then fold for access.

in some cars the side seat won't then fold for access.

Ah good to know. Didn't realise that. Never noticed that in the MPV's I looked. which ones?

gfmason wrote: »
    Please DO NOT buy a Renault Scenic. I own one and it is the worst car I have ever bought. Constantly breaking down, things going SERIOUSLY wrong with it. I bought it because I have kids, dogs etc., and needed a bigger car. It is always letting me down and spends a lot of time on the back of a breakdown truck. Renault don't want to know. A lot of my neighbours have Zafiras (00 - 09 reg) and they all work brilliantly.

A lot of modern cars have problems and I know a good few people with Renaults with no problems. But the Scenic does have a terrible rep. I test drove one and really it ticked a lot of boxes quite nice first impression. But I was put off when I realised the windscreen seals, were popped out, and I lost all faith in the dealer when I saw that. If he had that in the show room, why would he bother fixing things after you bought it!

We've had a few problem with the local Opel dealer not being able to fix problems on some of our previous opels. The Zafira seems smaller and narrow than other MPV's 2.5 seats in the back. Which put me off.

Hate to say it put you need to go Jap, if you want reliablity. VW isn't a patch on Toyota/Honda.

gfmason wrote: »

That could also be "please do not buy a car you havnent checked over properly" . I'm guessign it was 2nd hand or else the warranty would be lookign after anything?

Ive had the opposite experience with our 00 Scenic and now our 05 Grand Scenic.

The only issue we've had was a camshaft sensor in the Grand Scenic that was covered under warranty. It did go to the garage on the back of a truck but that's only because that's the service that was offered, It was drivign fine with the issue for the few days and on the day it was collected. I priced the sensor myself and it was only €40 and a 2 min job but seeing as they were doing it for free, why bother :-)

I dont know if I've just been lucky but none of our 2nd hand sourced Renault's have been an issue (I've only the one that was bought new and that's grand too). Although for some reason people liek crashign into them. Both our Scenics have been hit (and runs) in carparks on the rear quarter panel. My Clio had a scraped wing from a motorbike in heavy traffic (that didnt stop) and a missing door trim from someone clipping it . My uncles next door neighbour has reversed into both my Safrane and my dads Laguna:rolleyes: Nobody ever hit my accord or Rover 620, they imploded all on their own :-) or either of my peugeot vans or my Xantia. Completely ot but it just seemed odd, like they are magnets for crash damage :-)

I don't think I would be put off a Renault, if it was cheap enough, and I had confidence in a dealer/warranty. Nice 2L Clio Cup would be savage. Not ideal for a family though.

But I was put off when I realised the windscreen seals, were popped out,.

Was that from being badly replaced or was it damaged or what? You'd think they'd have fixed something obvious like that.

• Advertisement

Was that from being badly replaced or was it damaged or what? You'd think they'd have fixed something obvious like that.

My thinking exactly. Just walked away and I'll never go back either.

Ah good to know. Didn't realise that. Never noticed that in the MPV's I looked. which ones?

The Zafira definitely doesn't do this. it has a bench seat in the middle row which means the whole bench has to be slid forward (and child seats unbuckled) if you want to:

Get in or out of the rearmost seats
    Fold or unfold the rear seats
    remove or fit the luggage cover

We had a Scenic... loads of Autolight-autowiper faults after the windscreen was replaced. Probably moisture in the gap between the sensor and the new screen - could happen on any make I guess.. shame as the 1.5dci was a lovely engine.

Now we have a Berlingo (5 seat) and a Grand Picasso (7 seat).. both will take 3 baby seats as they have 3 full size rear seats.. (we have twins). The kids love row 3 with can take fwd facing kiddie seats.. and you can get two (umbrella style) folded buggies behind row 3
    GP is 1.6HDI EGS (electronic gear shift).. wife loves it. We have the Exclusive model which gets you Pneumatic rear suspension - but no spare wheel... we had a puncture (Cork councils best pot holes), cost us a night in hotel.. oops.. It has a jack though! you just need to flag down a lower spec C4 or Peugeut 308! ;)

Other nice GP feature... auto hill hold!

The Zafira definitely doesn't do this. it has a bench seat in the middle row which means the whole bench has to be slid forward (and child seats unbuckled) if you want to:

Get in or out of the rearmost seats
    Fold or unfold the rear seats
    remove or fit the luggage cover

That was the reason we never bothered with the rear row in the Zafira hire cars we had.

For some reason in the Scenic the kids try to get put in the boot :) Having the ability to move individual setas back and forward, to recline them and remove one or more when needed is very handy and I'd say a lot of people buying their first MPV might overlook it . TBH I didnt put much thought into it when buying the first Scenic, but it wasnt as big an issue as it was only a 5 seater. It was a big issue wehn we were lookign at the next one though when we had had the chance to mess with the seats in the first one.

Advertisement