Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved from 1MB Eircom to 8MB Voda, speedis just the same!!

• 06-01-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Let me start by saying I'm happy the thing is working, but I'm thinking Vodafone are drawing in new customers by advertising speeds of 8MB but don't have the equipment to deliver it.

I signed up on 16 Dec, line was changed on 18 Dec and BB was changed 4 Jan. So far so good, but my download speed is exactly the same as it was on 1MB Eircom package.

My Line Stats
    Wed 6 Jan2010
    S/N 11.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation
    22 14 dB
    Anybody able to rate these line stats as good/bad?

674153290.png
    7195728.png

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY (not just gobble down!) many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

More than likely that you weren't actually changed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭dohouch

jimmycrackcorm More than likely that you weren't actually changed over.

Definitely, lost my connection monday am. Changed username and pwd in router myself to Vodafone ones, after confirming with both Eircom and Vodafone that I had been switched.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY (not just gobble down!) many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

dohouch wrote: »

My Line Stats
    Wed 6 Jan2010
    S/N 11.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation
    22 14 dB

What speed is your router synching at? The above line stats don't mention it

pizzahead77:What speed is your router synching at? The above line stats don't mention it
    Hope this is what u mean:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 11.70 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 22.50 13.00
    CRC Errors 1 0
    Copied directly from router page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yep..that shows 7meg down 384 up...
    hmm..tbh it looks like you're still on the eircom stats...if you were on vodafone that should be 8000 /384...somethign dodgy's going on...
    problem now is Eircom will say it's not their problem, Vodafone will blame Eircom and you're stuck in the middle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

You should post this issue in the talk to>vodafone section also, they will best be able to assist you there, the section is located here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1270

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I had the same problem with perlico when we (house) sighed up.The line was changed over to 3mb but for the first 2 weeks we were 1mb.In the past year or so i've noticed that most of the phone companys in this country had become dreadful in the service that they are ment provide.

Before perlico we had Eircom who riped us off compleatly because the fella that knocked on the door gave us a deal that never existited and to leave eircom we had to pay €100 + €330 for a phone bill because we never knew that we were getting charged to call any moblie when at the time we were told that it was free for us to ring any Meteor number and something like 40 minutes free to other mobiles and we were getting charged for local landlines when we thought that it was free to make calls to landlines.And if that wasn't bad enough they (Eircom) threatened us with a court action if we didn't pay the bill.

Ireand has yet to see a decent phone and broadband provider because theres none at the moment in my opinion!

JUst did a new test there seems to be some improvement,
    My Line Stats
    Wed 6 Jan2010
    S/N 11.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation
    22 14 dB
    674761814.png
    7246557.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

dohouch wrote: »
    Hope this is what u mean:
    Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 11.70 18.00
    CRC Errors 1 0
    Copied directly from router page.
    Your sync rate is fine and you are definately going through a Vodafone connnection (as per Speed Test) and your syncing on the gaming profile (7.1MB down, 384K up) so everything is grand there (you could go to 7.6MB profile but it's highly interleaved which causes higher pings).

What you do have is a very low Noise Margin, it's only 11dB. Try disconnecting everything off your line including phones, faxes, filters and especially Sky boxes and connect your router to the main telephone point in the house, doing the speed test again. Also, post up your full line stats after too.

@cpu-dude Try disconnecting everything off your line including phones, faxes, filters and especially Sky boxes and connect your router to the main telephone point in the house, doing the speed test again. Also, post up your full line stats after too.
    Will give that a go now and I'm interested to see if it improves,
    Thanks for help.

• Advertisement

14:17 07/01/2010

AND IT changes again!!!

With Direct Connection phone-socket to modem (no telephone,filters,etc)
    and Ethernet to PC

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 20.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

674792458.png
    7248679.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

your synch is fine, it looks like Voda have overloaded their network.

what happens on a large ( 200Mb+) file from ftp.heanet.ie ...what does the speed look like ( will be in Bytes not Bits so 7168/8 means max download speed would be about 900k sustained .

@Sponge Bob (:=)) what happens on a large ( 200Mb+) file from ftp.heanet.ie
    Don't know how to get to 200Mb file on ftp.heatnet.ie. Is there a well trodden path to test-file download that they keep up there for test purposes???

Try the 700mb debian live cd ( it will run linux if you boot off it and does not touch the hard drive in any way )

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ftp.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.2-live/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-502-i386-gnome-desktop.iso

@ Sponge Bob, thanks for that, don't really want wrangle with the Penguin, but will run the dwlnd for a while anyway.
    Anyway the connection is better than the last few days and for the same money, faster than it was with Eircom. As I'm no gamer, if the connection is reliable and fast some times I'll be happy enough.

Voda may have a crap route to where the speedtest is hosted and the FTP should be a different route.

The D/L should 'flatten out ' at a certain speed and that speed is what you need to note ( 10 or 15 mins in will do)

How about this, strangerrr

editedoperadwnld.jpg

After how long a download period ???

I gave it a quick crack on a 3mit line and got 250-320Kb which is consistent with a 2mbit to 2.5mbit line at full pelt.

Just tried it again for 3 mins and never got above 58KB/s, estimated time for completion 3Hrs+.
    So some routes are fast and some aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

It looks like you're running other downloads at the same time?

@karl42:It looks like you're running other downloads at the same time?
    If you're refering to
    O&O Defrag Profes
    , in the image. I had downloaded this and it was finished before I got the link for the file at heatnet.ie. I just left it in to show the difference, which I thought was interesting. I also edited the image as it was very wide, so you don't see the column with the status of the download, which would have shown this one as finished

Advertisement