Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dirt bike

• 06-01-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

hi all im thinking of tting a dirt bike for the forestry for a bit of craic,ive never drove a manual bike,only a honda 70 hahaim looking at a 2003 kawasaki kx 250, 12ooeuro,im a tall guy 6ft 2 and im heavyish 15 stone ,is it a good model bike and is it suitable for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya will get one cheaper than that bud. Proper off road bikes have mental power. First gear is more of a switch than a throttle. 6"2 is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

twincamman wrote: »
    hi all im thinking of tting a dirt bike for the forestry for a bit of craic,ive never drove a manual bike,only a honda 70 hahaim looking at a 2003 kawasaki kx 250, 12ooeuro,im a tall guy 6ft 2 and im heavyish 15 stone ,is it a good model bike and is it suitable for me

KX250 are not really are not really suitable for close tight Forestry work. They're an out and out motocross bike with seriously explosive bottom end power.

What you really want is something like a Honda XR250. They're much more forgiving and easier to ride in forestry and trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bsriverview

anyone know any good trail/forestry tracks in west waterford, got rmz 250 i want a blast on without getting hassled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

anyone know any good trail/forestry tracks in west waterford, got rmz 250 i want a blast on without getting hassled.

Unless it's private and you've asked the owners permission then you can get hassle anywhere.

AFAIK we don't have green lanes like the UK, which they are trying to close to bikes anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

if you are starting out. I can recommend any 250 4 stroke enduro bike.

For tight forest trails they are perfect . Yam WR or KTM 250exc-f . crf honda.
    21145_0_1_2_wr%20250%20f_Image%20credits%20-%20Yamaha.jpg
    250exc-f_lge.jpg

honda_crf250x_3800.jpg

KTM is the class leader but can require a little more maintainace. But not much more. They hold there value alot better with high spec parts as standard ... so be prepared to pay more for a Katoom.
    all are around 30 bhp and rev high. Light and user friendly.
    Large capacity 450 bikes are just a handful unless you are very experienced.

with lights and approved noise exhaust they are also less likely to get you into trouble with walkers and cyclists in the forest. These peeps have to be respected as much as possible as they can stir up all sorts of trouble for you in the long run .
    an enduro machine will also have softer suspension set ups to increase comfort on all day rides.

Why not go to a local event . the season is starting. H&H and Enduro races are about to kick off. Its really more fun to compete at Novice level . You will soon meet guys who will invite you to practice ride with them. Safety in numbers and again. more fun..
    www.enduro.ie
    www.dirtyhabits.ie
    www.motocross.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭madmac187

twincamman wrote: »

I know the thread is 4 months old. But any help would be great. Im the exact same man and thinking of buying the same thing. Did you buy after? What did you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

Ok, first of all DON'T BUY A FOUR STROKE. I have a TM 250f and the oil and filter change intervals make them very expensive. Get a 2 stroke, people will go mad when I say this but I would recomend a KTM or TM 300en. Very linear power for a stroker and plenty of torque so you can ride then in a higher gear to avoid loss of traction. What ever you do don't get a KTM or TM 250 stroker unless you have some experience behind you. 300's can be picked up for little money and both TM and KTM 300's are sound ,reliable, bikes, despite what some people say about TM's.

Advertisement