Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astra and Hispasat

• 06-01-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello all. About two months ago I got intalled the hispasat sat. to view spanish tv but since then aparently all the better channels are going to Astra (etc/galicia tv and now tvei). Is Astra better than Hispasat? should I redirect the sat dish to astra? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

hmm..........both hispasat 30W and astra 19E carry the Digital+ tv package from Spain along with some FTA stuff. Astra 19E has tonnes of FTA mostly German channels etc. Change if you like but put it this way - I doubt you will lose any spanish channels if you do.

Oh..........just to add that as far as I know TDT in Spain will in the near future be launched on satellite similar to Freesat in the UK. A box will be required with a card that will probably cost somewhere between €150 - €200. All the current TDT channels should be on there.

http://www.televisiondigital.es/Terrestre/Index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭maria11

Redout, thank you for your reply. Do you know if tdt is going to be in hispasat? also is tdt going to be like sky that we have to pay monthly?

maria11 wrote: »
    Redout, thank you for your reply. Do you know if tdt is going to be in hispasat? also is tdt going to be like sky that we have to pay monthly?

TDT on satellite wont require a monthly fee but rather a one off payment ie: the box w/card. As regards which sat it will be broadcast I dont know. Its going to be either 30 or 19. A call to TDT could answer this but knowing how things can work in Spain I wouldnt hold my breath. If you are Spanish then the easiest thing to do is get yourself a Digital+ subscription and set it up to pay direct debit through your bank in Spain then just take the box to Ireland and away you go.

I know..! I would love that.! so I could watch all the main channels, but is that legal? I know that a lot of people maybe doing it but i don't want to bring problems to anybody in my family for that. :o
    But muchas gracias again for your help.

• Advertisement

maria11 wrote: »
    I know..! I would love that.! so I could watch all the main channels, but is that legal? I know that a lot of people maybe doing it but i don't want to bring problems to anybody in my family for that. :o
    But muchas gracias again for your help.

Well to be honest there is absolutely no way they could know you have the box in Ireland as they have no way of tracking the box. The box can be used anywhere in Europe or the Canary Islands once it is inside the beam of the satellite. There are countless thousands of Brits and Irish in Spain who bring their Sky boxes with them and watch! I have brought my Digital+ box to Ireland before. Truth is Digital+/Sky couldnt really care where you have your box once your paying the monthly bill.

The only thing I can think of is that every maybe 3/4 years they issue a new viewing card which will be sent to the address you setup your account. So if thats family in Spain well then its no problem but as I said its only really every 3/4 years. They do not send out a bill every month as its payed direct debit. The only thing they send out is the free Digital+ magazine once a month. So basically keep paying your bill and no problem!

This is my plan:
    plan 1: I am going to wait for the new tdt "freebies" first.
    and if this doesn't work
    plan 2: I have to talk very nice to someone in spain and get the canal+ box (only e15 p/m for 40 channels).

Thanks again you give me a very good information.

Advertisement