Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any prison wardens/ppl sending letters to people in prison? Need urgent help!!

Options
  • 06-01-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Okay, so i got a letter from my friend in Limerick prison today but when i picked it up i noticed it was sealed together with sellotape. My mother used to do this after reading my letters. I'm living in a different house now though and can't help thinking my housemate read the letter.
    Can anyone tell me if I'm being paranoid or do the prison wardens seal the letters with sellotape after stamping them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

my guess would be that yes the warden prob reads the letters. cant exactly let letter be sent out of plans to escape or have crimes commited. i wouldnt worry about it. chances are if anything in the letter was against the law you wouldnt have gotten the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not to alarm the original poster, but would the prison officer not read the letter before it was sealed, rather than opening it and resealing it with tape?

Unless of course it is done without the knowledge of the inmate, but then resealing it with tape is a bit of a giveaway that the inmate is sure to find out about.

i once recieved a letter in the post that was sealed with selotape. just figured the sticky part was worn off or somethin. if whats on the letter is really really important then you should inquire from the prison. just give them a ring and tell them there was tape on the letter. im sure they would be upfront if they taped it(if its standard procedure or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whatsyourface

I just rooted out some old letters and one had tape on it. Maybe the prison wardens do put tape on them! I remember my friend telling me there were some things he couldnt write about and that the wardens do check the letters. I'm more worried about my housemate reading the letter than the prison warden to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tinsop

All post sent to the prison and received from the prison is censored,any post you receive will have tape on it to reseal it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I would always have assumed the mail would have been checked but I'm surprised there isn't an official stamp and tape or that the envelope would only be sealed after it had been checked. Oridnary sellotape (if thats was it was) sounds like a real hotch potch job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kev6319

Hi Whatsyourface,
    Examination of letters, Is covered by rule 45.(1) of the prison act,prison offers will seal the letters with sellotape after stamping them'
    You can find more info here __www.irishprisons.ie/documents/S.I.No.252of2007.doc

kev6319 wrote: »
    Hi Whatsyourface,
    Examination of letters, Is covered by rule 45.(1) of the prison act,prison offers will seal the letters with sellotape after stamping them'
    You can find more info here __www.irishprisons.ie/documents/S.I.No.252of2007.doc

good work kev

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I think if you find yourself not trusting your housemate not to read your stuff, maybe you ought to be considering moving away from said housemate.

Advertisement