Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus service in Dublin?

• 06-01-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Any suggestions for a good, honest, reliable garage in South Dublin where I can get a 2005 Ford Focus (1.4 petrol) serviced without breaking the bank?

Last year I got ripped off by Advance Pitstop - I was told a standard service would cost €180 but when I returned to pick up the car I was charged €210. The reason given was that the oil for a zetec engine is more expensive....€30 extra sounds like a lot to me!?! I think he figured he could pull a fast one on an unsuspecting female :mad:

BTW any ideas what a standard service should cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Tallaght Auto Services did my 2001 Focus for about €170, they are on Airton Road, D.24 in behind Opal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Just booked mine in with Tallaght Ford, second service quoted €170, Appleyard Sandyford quoted €290! It's really just an oil change....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Looking at www.ford.ie, would that be Tallaght Ford Airton Road?

Asking as I remember there was a ford dealer beside the n81 infront of the square. Is that still there or gone?

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

@ OP, what mileage is on it?

I ask as some engine services are small, some big which greatly influences the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP just get a Haynes manual and do it yourself, it's not difficult.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »

I got one, invaluable, and it makes DIY servicing SOOO easy. (You will also need to buy torque wrench and a simple socket set)

Leave the big jobs for the mechanics: clutchs/gearbox's/flywheels as they have all the tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Confab wrote: »

I do everything to our cars myself and we've the exact same car as OP and I get a discount at my local motorfactors. I serviced it on saturday and for 5 litres of 5w 30 semi synthetic oil, oil filter and sparkplugs it only cost €43 including Vat! And about 20 minutes of my time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hmmm??

Thanks for the suggestions! There's about 65,000 Km on the clock. Brakes definitely need sorting out, so will take it to a garage this time round. But will try the oil change myself next time.

BTW anyone familiar with Advance Automotive near Windy Arbour Luas? Somebody mentioned they might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Airton just quoted me around the €200 mark for a 2nd service? I thought their have fixed prices for standard work?

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Was in Belfast today and on the way back heard on the radio that cr morrow in newry are a new ford dealer and offering service @ 99 pounds with 1 years aa cover uk and south of ireland.
    Have mine booked in for next Wednesday when am back up and they offered me a lift into the town and back again... not bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

I do everything to our cars myself and we've the exact same car as OP and I get a discount at my local motorfactors. I serviced it on saturday and for 5 litres of 5w 30 semi synthetic oil, oil filter and sparkplugs it only cost €43 including Vat! And about 20 minutes of my time! :)

20 minutes!!!! well that might be ok to replace the parts mentioned, no pollen or fuel filters?. BUT does it include a full vehicle inspection. for example do you check the suspension, because the rear lower link arms can give some wear issues. so i guess by your reckoning every main dealer is ripping you off. you see a little knowledge is a dangerous thing haynes manual or not.

rugalo wrote: »
    20 minutes!!!! well that might be ok to replace the parts mentioned, no pollen or fuel filters?. BUT does it include a full vehicle inspection. for example do you check the suspension, because the rear lower link arms can give some wear issues. so i guess by your reckoning every main dealer is ripping you off. you see a little knowledge is a dangerous thing haynes manual or not.

Are you saying that main dealers do this too at every service?

I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

South Dublin Ford Centre?

What's there to rip you off? Not like you can make up this long list of bo**ocks, it's a Focus so they shouldn't have room for taking the piss.

I'm off out to spend over 700 quid on two bits of rubber tomorrow, I'd love to be paying for a Focus service :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

MarkN wrote: »

What's there to rip you off? Not like you can make up this long list of bo**ocks, it's a Focus so they shouldn't have room for taking the piss.

I'm off out to spend over 700 quid on two bits of rubber tomorrow, I'd love to be paying for a Focus service :)

Try Camskill instead

I've the CEO of one of the biggest fitters in the country looking after me... it's still that price sadly!

mullingar wrote: »
    Are you saying that main dealers do this too at every service?

I think not.

im sorry mullingar but yes a full vehicle inspection IS carried out at EVERY service, as far as the extra filters go they will be replaced as per the millage/year. i think youll find that most if not all dealers will work to manufacturers schedule and thats why the labour costs are high. it's all well and good doing this "simple":rolleyes:jobs yourself but when something fails or you drain from the wrong bung it's a case of "if the garages wernt so expensive this wouldnt have happened" i heard all that s**t before.put it this way if your house electrics goes t*ts up do you fix it yourself? i think not.you leave it to the people who are trained do the repair it should be the same for your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rice_crispy

MarkN wrote: »

Well why don't you buy a bloody focus then!? This **** makes me laugh. I'm
    presuming your car is either very expensive or highly customized. Either way don't buy such expensive motors then moan about maintainance costs which you clearly knew when you were buying. Moaning about it just a semantical version of twirling the keys on your finger for everyone to see what car you've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Well why don't you buy a bloody focus then!? This **** makes me laugh. I'm
    presuming your car is either very expensive or highly customized. Either way don't buy such expensive motors then moan about maintainance costs which you clearly knew when you were buying. Moaning about it just a semantical version of twirling the keys on your finger for everyone to see what car you've got.

This is your only warning rice_crispy, play nice or move on.

MarkN's an established and appreciated member of this forum with very good taste in cars. If you checked out his post history you'd see he's not the key twirler you're making him out to be.

His was a throw away comment that didn't need this kind of response.

rugalo wrote: »
    im sorry mullingar but yes a full vehicle inspection IS carried out at EVERY service, as far as the extra filters go they will be replaced as per the millage/year. i think youll find that most if not all dealers will work to manufacturers schedule and thats why the labour costs are high. it's all well and good doing this "simple":rolleyes:jobs yourself but when something fails or you drain from the wrong bung it's a case of "if the garages wernt so expensive this wouldnt have happened" i heard all that s**t before.put it this way if your house electrics goes t*ts up do you fix it yourself? i think not.you leave it to the people who are trained do the repair it should be the same for your car.

It SHOULD and MUST be done, In my experience it was never done.

You could be lucky and your dealer does it.

When I had a company cars the main dealers of the 2 cars I had (a Citroen & a Renault) BOTH skimped completely on the check-list. One left the car in a VERY dangerous condition with a blantently obvious fault. That is why I vowed to myself to avoid main dealers like the plague as I lost complete confidence in them,

(And yes, there was also a big problem with the electrics in the house and I traced it to sh1te workmanship.)

OP - I've had two Fords hence the SDFC suggestion, my mother has bought two cars from them also.

Never had any problems, any hassle with the cars I owned was quickly solved and their staff were friendly and helpful. Can't ask for much more from a main dealer really... I'd get a quote anyway at least you might be surprised that they won't be taking the piss.

• Advertisement

mullingar wrote: »
    It SHOULD and MUST be done, In my experience it was never done.

You could be lucky and your dealer does it.

When I had a company cars the main dealers of the 2 cars I had (a Citroen & a Renault) BOTH skimped completely on the check-list. One left the car in a VERY dangerous condition with a blantently obvious fault. That is why I vowed to myself to avoid main dealers like the plague as I lost complete confidence in them,

(And yes, there was also a big problem with the electrics in the house and I traced it to sh1te workmanship.)

no no im not lucky, i insist every car is done to manufacturers spec, but i must admit it has got me into some barneys with the bosses (i work in a ford main dealer). i see your point about the house electrics but you know what i mean, if there is a problem with anything that your not comfortable with taken on yourself then leave it to the experts. too many people end up worse off than when they started. but if the OP is happy doing the work themselves then by all means go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

1.4 Focus is one of the easiest cars to service that there is. The only oddity is the oil which is not the grade you'd expect, and is a bit expensive.

no1beemerfan's figure of 20 mins is about right, but last time I did a Focus the oil+filters (air/oil)+plugs came to closer to €65.

OP, it's a 5 year old car and is out of warranty. Learn to service it yourself or pay one of the "any model €99" places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

I suggest just take the Newry deal which someone mentioned. That way, you could spend all the money that you're saving on a day out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement