Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Please - candle grease on LCD panel

• 06-01-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks - this is sorta new to me so I hope I'm doing it right ...

Anyway, a candle was being taken down from a shelf over the LCD TV the other night so it could be blown out and ... Yes, you know what happened - candle grease spilled all over the place. Luckily its a wooden floor so got it off that OK and got it off the cabinet under the TV, also got it off the bezel around the panel but there are a few tiny specks on the panel itself and I'm at my wits end to know how to deal with these.

Anybody out there had a similar experience or know how I should approach this? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Oh, I have figured the one already about no more candles within a mile of the TV.

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Had a quick look on google - the advise was terrible.

First thing you should know is that the panel probably has an anti-glare coating (shows up as purple-blue under bright light) and
    can be damaged by scrapers and detergents.

Have you tried picking the worst of the wax off with your nails?
    Don't use plastic / metal objects or they will scratch the screen coating.
    Using an ice cube or ice pack might help freeze the wax so it becomes hard and brittle but make sure you don't have water running down into the bezel!
    Might be safer to place the TV in a cold room for an hour (leave a window open in the current climate!!) to freeze the wax.

Failng that you could try a soft cloth and some warm water (not boiling) to soften the wax and wiping it away.
    A hairdryer + absorbent cloth or tissue to soak up the wax might also work.

This might take a few goes to remove.

Follow up with a suitable TV screen glass cleaner to remove any residue.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HazardsOn

Thanks a mill for the welcome advice Owenw - I'll have a go this evening and will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Good advice from owenw.

Get the TV somewhere cold - garage, shed, etc. Leave it in the cold for a few hours then gently tease the wax off carefully with your nail or some other very blunt instrument (wooden ice pop stick used carefully might work). If you do decide to use ice to harden the wax then be sure to have a cloth below it to soak the melted water. Whatever you do, be sure not to rub the screen until you are sure that all the wax is gone - otherwise you might spread it around the screen.

I doubt that the wax will damage the screen but the method you use to remove it might, so go easy - don't use anything abrasive to remove the wax.

Advertisement