Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for Driving Automatic in Snow/ice please!

• 06-01-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Have avoided driving in these conditions as I'm driving an Automatic and I dont like it much these days. Out of necessity had to take the car in today, not very pleasant. Any advice on how to do it any safer, would much prefer to be driving a manual car in weather like this.... a bit worried in case, I go into a skid, all the advice I've heard is for manual cars but what do you do in an automatic when you go into a skid?:confused:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly what car is it (year, model)?

In most automatics you can select a gear to drive in, can you select 3rd gear in yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HereKitty

Hi Unkel

Its an 06 Saab 93 Linear (convertible, not that thats relevant) , bought it before Christmas.
    I have an awful feeling you're going to tell me something that I should have read in the manual....which I have to admit, I've sort of skimmed through:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Saabs were born to be driven in the snow.....

But by men presumably :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I would guess it has P N D R 1 2 3 4 then at the stick??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Take it very easy with the accelerator and you'll be fine. The amount of people I witnessed today with their manual cars, incapable of moving off gently, just spinning their wheels and going nowhere. I doubt any of them could have done worse in an automatic. Other than that, use the gear selector to hold 2nd or 3rd gear as uncle suggested and if there's a winter or ice setting on the gearbox, use it.

The-Game wrote: »

Yes it does...so I guess I should put it in 3?

Thanks Alias...yes havent had any trouble so far and have been doing as you say just real gentle accelerating, so must be doing something right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I hope opel vectra's were too then :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

automatics usually ease themselves away very slowly (in second) when you come off the brake. This is as good as most people can manage with a manual. So when starting just let the car get you moving then use the accelerator and brake very lightly. Any sign of loss of traction, ease back on the accelerator.

If you get stuck, let the car roll off the stuck bit, put it in 3 and try to let it get you going with no accelerator input. Try turning of your DSC if required.

When skidding you do nothing different in an auto than a manual. Steer into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

unkel wrote: »
    In most automatics you can select a gear to drive in, can you select 3rd gear in yours?
    That's fine for going downhill but you can't get an auto to go into a higher gear than would be normal - i.e. have the engine slightly labouring to reduce wheelspin.

My last car was a RWD auto - a nightmare going uphill in slippery conditions!

• Advertisement

The-Game wrote: »
    Should it not be PNRD4321?

That's fine for going downhill but you can't get an auto to go into a higher gear than would be normal - i.e. have the engine slightly labouring to reduce wheelspin.

You can in a lot of cars that have a manual mode, only limited by engine damage. I can drive in 3 pretty much fulltime if desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try putting it at 2 before pulling away from a stop. It should start in 2nd gear and thus reduce the chance of wheelspin. Is there a 'snow' switch near the gear lever?

Not your ornery onager

copacetic wrote: »
    You can in a lot of cars that have a manual mode, only limited by engine damage. I can drive in 3 pretty much fulltime if desired.
    If you were doing a hillstart with four adult passengers, I doubt that it would take off in 3rd?

If you were doing a hillstart with four adult passengers, I doubt that it would take off in 3rd?

It would but would prob have to use a bit of accelerator, it wouldn't ease itself away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It would!

My '94 E34 530i V8 auto went into limp mode once. 4th gear only and it would take off no bother!

esel wrote: »
    Try putting it at 2 before pulling away from a stop. It should start in 2nd gear and thus reduce the chance of wheelspin. Is there a 'snow' switch near the gear lever?

Emmm...will check that in the morning!!:o I know... anyone reading this is probably thinking.....typical!!!

By the way, thanks all for the comments, they're really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I was thinking coming home today how much more difficult it would be in an automatic. I guess the real problem with automatic is no clutch to hold the car at very slow speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ No/very little throttle = very slow speed.....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement