Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning off mains water

• 07-01-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭

A relative of mine is in hospital and there's nobody to look after his house, With the current weather I am concerned about burst pipes flooding the place. It's a very old terraced house with no insulation or central heating.

Is turning off the mains water difficult to do? Where should I look for the mains valve, in the house or outside? If I were to get a plumber for this how much is it likely to cost, is a plumber likely to scoff at a job like this if there is nobody to tell him where the relevant valve is located?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

BrianD3 wrote: »
    A relative of mine is in hospital and there's nobody to look after his house, With the current weather I am concerned about burst pipes flooding the place. It's a very old terraced house with no insulation or central heating.

Is turning off the mains water difficult to do? Where should I look for the mains valve, in the house or outside? If I were to get a plumber for this how much is it likely to cost, is a plumber likely to scoff at a job like this if there is nobody to tell him where the relevant valve is located?

Thanks

with an old terraced house - I'd first look under the kitchen sink for a shut off valve- you'll know it's off if the cold water stops flowing to the kitchen sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

To be fully sure you could also turn it off at the street. Would need a key for this, which any plumber should have.

Turning off at the kitchen sink would probably be good enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Why not set a fire for a few hours or set central heating to come on - keep house warm to prevent freezing pipes & condensation. Locked up empty property will deteriate quickly in this weather.

Your friend will need a warm house when he / she comes out of hospital.
    Leave a trap dripping - this isn't very eco friendly - but its cheaper than cleaning up the mess of a burst pipe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

BrianD3 wrote: »

Thanks

I think this is just reducing the possibility of a problem... Remember that you may have a tank full of water and pipes leading from this. These can easily freeze in a house with no heating and then you have a full tank of water coming through ceiling. You could drain the entire tank after turning of cold water supply.

My advice would be to set up a few strategically placed timed/thermostat heaters. It doesn't need to be roasting hot just a few degrees above zero.

Advertisement