Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Donegal

Options
  • 07-01-2010 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Came across this site www.donegal.citizenscape.net which has a lot of information/details on recycling in Donegal during my web search on my New Year's resolution to recycle more... It's pulling in a lot of feeds from repak.ie, youtube, RSS, County Council site etc. A lot of good info there for anyone who's interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I was very surprised when the Council closed the recycling bins in Dungloe only to open a new site where they charge for plastics, cardboard and paper. I think this will be a major disincentive to people who recycle. I think it is the same in the recycling centre in Letterkenny.
    I know there was a problem in Dungloe with people leaving bags of rubbish beside the recycling bins and I like the new facility but I think those items should be free.

p.s. your link does not work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Link should work now.
    Charging for recycling is always going to be an issue. I remember a time not that long ago where you could get a penny for every glass bottle returned. Maybe there should be some sort of incentive to recycle. Afterall who's really benefiting from us doing all the recycling except the recycling companies.
    There's also the issue of civic responsibility and taking pride in keeping thing clean and "doing your bit" for the environment. Recycling should be the most natural thing in the world, not because we're being made do to it but because we want to do and we don't want to see litter on the side of the road or rubbish bags dumped on the side of a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

In fairness, it doesn't take much to put some people off making an effort!

In our house, we recycle, compost and only put out what's left for the binman. Our bin only goes out every 6weeks-2months. The fiver/tenner for the amenity centre in Stranorlar is reasonable as it goes by how much you can physically fit into a car/van. I'd have more of a gripe about the restrictive opening hours tbh. I reckon our rubbish disposal comes in around the €100 mark (as opposed to €260 if you were putting the bin our every two weeks). People look at me like I've two heads when I say that we recycle loads of our rubbish, but they change their tone when they hear how much we're saving!

I reckon the county council needs to promote the facilities that they have. People don't know about them, how easy they are to use and how much you can save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pawla

Hello

I'm new to Letterkenny and have been trying to figure out how recycling works here... Do you have to drop your recyclable waste at a recycling facility or is it collected with the rest of your rubbish? We have two bins outside our apartment, but neither is marked with a recycling sticker, so I am slightly confused. Please could someone let me know what the correct procedure is.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I believe the charge is €10 to recycle in lk. This is quite steep imo. The local centre in Mayo charges €2 per car for recycling and the scope of what you can recycle is vast.

€10 may be manageable if you have a full car however if you have a small amount I can see how it would put people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

pawla wrote: »
    Hello

I'm new to Letterkenny and have been trying to figure out how recycling works here... Do you have to drop your recyclable waste at a recycling facility or is it collected with the rest of your rubbish? We have two bins outside our apartment, but neither is marked with a recycling sticker, so I am slightly confused. Please could someone let me know what the correct procedure is.

Thanks!

In Letterkenny, it's Ferry's refuse http://www.ferrysrefuse.com/. They lift the bins and I think you just buy tags to put on them. They do have a recycling bin-lift, but I don't know when, you'd need to contact them. Otherwise, ask your neighbours, they should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,004 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The smaller items such as paper/cardboard, bottles, tins, plastic jars etc can be disposed off in a bin for which you need to buy a ticket from one of the shops that stock them and it costs around €8 I think.

Alternatively you can take the these items together with the more bulkier stuff to the recycling centre. The fees vary but the most popular one is €10 for a car. But be careful as there are additional charges for larger items such as furniture, floor coverings etc

More details here

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

you also have DM Waste in Letterkenny. http://www.dmwaste.com/ . They provide two wheely bins , Green one normal waste, and a Blue one for recycling (some restrictions apply to what you can put in, like Milk cartons and glass). One week it the recycling collect then the next week it the normal collection.

Advertisement