Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos of Swastika hanging at Irish Nazi Party meetings in 1930's?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I posted before regarding the TV show "Ireland's Nazi's", and was curious to see the negative response it received. Since then, as part of a "German - Irish relations" module in University, I've read quite a lot on the topic, and now too see the flaws in this particular programme!

What I'd like to know is, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find some photographs of the Swastika hanging from one of the venues where the Irish branch of the party held their meetings in the 30's? I know it used to hang in both the Gresham Hotel and in the Kilcurragh hotel in Wicklow (I've seen a picture of this, in the aforementioned TV show).

I'm giving a presentation at the end of the month on the topic, and would like to use this image as part of it. If anyone could either PM me the image, or let me know where I can find it, that would be really fantastic.

Thanks, Rory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have seen such photos in books only and not online so if no one posts a link to a jpeg online it might be worth checking out the likes of hughes and hughes/easons etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Morlar wrote: »
    I have seen such photos in books only and not online so if no one posts a link to a jpeg online it might be worth checking out the likes of hughes and hughes/easons etc

Thanks a lot for the advice Morlar, I'll call into Easons tomorrow afternoon and have a check. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

sorry Nova_era cant help with your original question but have you read or seen Dublin Nazi No 1 by Gerry Mullin? its a very interesting book and has some good photos in it. i have some back issues of History Ireland and there might be one in them . i will root them out and have a look for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

there used to be a laundry service in Dublin with funny looking vans that stared using the swastika symbol before it became the symbol of the Nazi's......

... and those coal scuttle helmets worn by the Free State Army were manufactured in Britain rather than the Weimar Republic/Third Reich.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

there used to be a laundry service in Dublin with funny looking vans that stared using the swastika symbol before it became the symbol of the Nazi's......
    .The symbol of the Swastika goes back to Egyptian times and later used as a symbol by the Romans .
    I used to work on the vans delivering the laundry .The company was called Swastika Laundry , located in Ballsbridge

... and those coal scuttle helmets worn by the Free State Army were manufactured in Britain rather than the Weimar Republic/Third Reich
    Yes , until they adopted the tin pot style of the British army itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Latchy wrote: »
    .The symbol of the Swastika goes back to Egyptian times and later used as a symbol by the Romans .
    I used to work on the vans delivering the laundry .The company was called Swastika Laundry , located in Ballsbridge

Yes , until they adopted the tin pot style of the British army itself

I didn't realise it was actually called Swastika Laundry. Thanks for that.

I think the Irish Govt got a good deal from the British Govt - the Vickers helmets adopted in 1927 were poor quality and not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Swastika is used in Asia as well, you'll see it in religious artwork, as a decorative repeating fringe or border.

My Dad would go to the Swastika Laundry and bring me along.. they had a framed A3 page in the reception area for customers, explaining the origins of the swastika, in relation to the laundry and in general.

At the turn of the century you might have found a big swastika on your Christmas card..

sorry Nova_era cant help with your original question but have you read or seen Dublin Nazi No 1 by Gerry Mullin? its a very interesting book and has some good photos in it. i have some back issues of History Ireland and there might be one in them . i will root them out and have a look for you .

Yes I have Dublin Nazi No 1, it's really very interesting. Mahr is one of the most interesting characters in recent Irish history, definetly worth a read. Other books I've been using include "The Shamrock and the Swastika" by Carolle Carter, "Neutral Ireland and the Third Reich" by John Duggan, and "Ireland, Germany, and the Nazi's" by Mervyn O' Driscoll.

I actually got a picture of the Swastika outside the Kilmacurragh Hotel, so will be using that. Mullins' books has some fantastic photos, for example the ones of the Hitler Youth at Newgrange, really fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Nova_era wrote: »
    ... "The Shamrock and the Swastika" by Carolle Carter, ...
    I actually got a picture of the Swastika outside the Kilmacurragh Hotel, so will be using that. Mullins' books has some fantastic photos, for example the ones of the Hitler Youth at Newgrange, really fascinating.

havent read the Carter book , have the others . any chance you could put up the photo you got ? all the best

• Advertisement

havent read the Carter book , have the others . any chance you could put up the photo you got ? all the best

The Carter book is quite outdated, it's not as fresh as either O'Driscoll or Mullins.

I'm having some problems uploading the picture, but I'll post it tomorrow for definite. It's the exact same one as used in Ireland's Nazis, as it's an edited screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Amalgam wrote: »
    Swastika is used in Asia as well, you'll see it in religious artwork, as a decorative repeating fringe or border

There are gates around the side of the Nobel building in Oslo made up of cluttered swastikas. Its in Vika, just up from Aker Brygge and behind Slottsparken.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

1968 wrote: »
    Lots of pictures and a bit of history on the laundry here:

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/swastika-laundry-1912-1987/

I remember the chimney very well and often thought about it.

Does it still have the swastika painted on the side?

What buildings are those?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Dummy wrote: »
    I remember the chimney very well and often thought about it.

Does it still have the swastika painted on the side?

What buildings are those?

The swastika painted on the side was removed in the late 1980s.

The buildings are part of a development called The Oval. I think it's mainly commercial offices.

See for example - http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/the-oval-shelbourne-road-ballsbridge-dublin-4/162050

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Nova_era wrote: »
    Hi,

I posted before regarding the TV show "Ireland's Nazi's", and was curious to see the negative response it received. Since then, as part of a "German - Irish relations" module in University, I've read quite a lot on the topic, and now too see the flaws in this particular programme!

What I'd like to know is, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find some photographs of the Swastika hanging from one of the venues where the Irish branch of the party held their meetings in the 30's? I know it used to hang in both the Gresham Hotel and in the Kilcurragh hotel in Wicklow (I've seen a picture of this, in the aforementioned TV show).

I'm giving a presentation at the end of the month on the topic, and would like to use this image as part of it. If anyone could either PM me the image, or let me know where I can find it, that would be really fantastic.

Thanks, Rory

the problem with this is that it could well bring these establishments into disrepute.
    The swastika was the offical symbol of Germany from 1933-45.
    maybe in 70 years people will be looking for photos of Hotels in ireland that flew the american flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

... and those coal scuttle helmets worn by the Free State Army were manufactured in Britain rather than the Weimar Republic/Third Reich.......

swatika laundry was set up in 1913ish and therefore not connected to the nazis, no more than the celtic cross is connecte to the KKK.

Advertisement