Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women in high heels

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

free gaff? wrote: »
    if a girl is hot and slutty that gives me a boner. most irish girls dont suit it because they ugly lol

and idk maby the op is a fag or somethin lmfao

did you read the charter before you posted here? Do you really think that is an appropriate comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

umm high heals shoirt skirts a nice legs :eek: is there naything more sexy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Shaws

Candlegrease are you a short, short man???

My guess is that your 5 foot nothin!

Anyway, for all you grandads out there giving out about girls at the end of the night walking round in their feet, giving out about sore feet - this is a thing of the past. I'm sure some one must have noticed that thanks to Penny's and the latest fashion trends, you will see girls taking off their high heels and slipping into flat pumps, that we keep in our over-sized handbags.

Now do you want to start a thead about how you all hate seeing girls in flat shoes and how annoying over-sized bags are?? There just not sexy enough!!!

Seriously!!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

picture.php?albumid=634&pictureid=3654

Woman + heels = good!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Shaws wrote: »
    Candlegrease are you a short, short man???

My guess is that your 5 foot nothin!

Anyway, for all you grandads out there giving out about girls at the end of the night walking round in their feet, giving out about sore feet - this is a thing of the past. I'm sure some one must have noticed that thanks to Penny's and the latest fashion trends, you will see girls taking off their high heels and slipping into flat pumps, that we keep in our over-sized handbags.

Now do you want to start a thead about how you all hate seeing girls in flat shoes and how annoying over-sized bags are?? There just not sexy enough!!!

Seriously!!!!:confused:

I'm 5'11. I know the point has been raised about guys not liking it because the girl towers over them, but this is not the case with me. I just dislike the overall apperance it gives the girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

cowzerp wrote: »
    i know a few lads who wont let there girls wear heels and its because they dont want them to look sexy, there insecure with themselves..

Yeah, that's definitely an issue. I think a lot of men can be intimidated by girlfriends wearing "sexy" fashion items such as high heels because they attract attention and spur fears of infidelity, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm 5'11. I know the point has been raised about guys not liking it because the girl towers over them, but this is not the case with me. I just dislike the overall apperance it gives the girl.

Aye each to their own, I guess we all have little quirks we prefer about the opposite sex.
    I know I subconsciously pay attention to guys footwear myself.

I just was surprised to find some guys dislike any form of heels on a lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

free gaff? wrote: »
    if a girl is hot and slutty that gives me a boner. most irish girls dont suit it because they ugly lol

and idk maby the op is a fag or somethin lmfao

Youtube comment much?

Knee high leather boots: hell yeah.
    I'm 5'5" and they should be my natural enemy, but they're just too damn sexy. Especially with jeans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

sexy is always good.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

hey i'm a girl and am being nosy reading this discussion but thought a bit of honesty is required.

as a high heel wearer i own many heels most of which after 1 hour of contant wear really hurt and i agree that even flats are painful sometimes but heels are made to
    1) make a girl's bum stick out
    2) elongate the legs
    3) make feet look smaller

overall to feminise a womens body and i look hotter in heels as well every women for those reasons as these are all ques for fertility.

I only wear heels on occasions such as dinner/drink with boyfriend/party/nightclub event as i can't walk far in most of heels.
    I wear heels to look more attractive to my boyf and before i was with him to every male nearby so i thought i would be honest as some others are claiming they endure such pain/blisters for their self if that was the case girls would wear stilletos at sleepovers and around the house.

And another thing is i do think some heels do look 'slutty' like the very very high narrow ones that are in for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't understand how other girls wear heels. Just don't it's worth it! They are so painful. And awkward. I have tried wearing them a few times but now I've given up. Plus they make me feel like a giant.

Pity because I do think heels look nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I love high heels on the ladies, i can see how certain ones can look trashy, e.g. thigh high boots, but overall im a fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I the only one who doesn't like it? I just think girls look slightly trashy/slutty in high heels. Yes, I know they all wear them, nut I don't like it. Anyone with me?

Nothing sexier then seeing hot girl in heels.

Comon man ya now it too;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't see anything trashy about heels. Ok, maybe if they're bright pink with diamond studs on them, then they may be considered OTT. But normal heels? no they're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

amacachi wrote: »
    Obviously there are exceptions, some women do like wearing heels, I've not met any that I know of. :P.

Well hello there, I'm one of em.:D

I love wearing heels. I'll wear them to work as well as the pub, night club etc

I'm not talking thigh high boots or six inch stilettos (there's a time and place!) but for example, at the moment it's winter so I'm generally wearing leather boots with a 4-inch heel, black ankle boots or simple office heels to work.The only time I'm not wearing them is when I'm exercising or lounging around the house.

I don't cake myself in makeup or fake tan or any of those generalisations that seem to be thrown about; nor am I wearing heels to attract male attention - I couldn't give a crap, I just genuinely love wearing heels.

However I am picky about my shoes and wouldn't dream of buying a pair that caused me pain - I'd just be limping around the place thinking of nothing but how uncomfortable they are and dying to take them off anyway, which to me sort of defeats my purpose for wearing them - they make me feel good.

I think it's the confidence rather than the heels themselves that make heels a hit with a lot of men (except the OP obviously) although I do agree that there's nothing more unattractive than a woman plodding along in a pair of hideously high heels that she's clearly just wearing to make an impression

• Advertisement

Interesting article on high heels apparently catherine de medici wore them in 1533 .

http://www.apparelsearch.com/Definitions/Footwear/high_heeled_shoes.htm

I'm going to invent super comfortable high heels for Ladies ,and every girl in the world will love me ,yeah !!!!.Onward and upward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Heels can lead to a woman feeling sexier,this leads to the woman feeling more confident,confidence (not arrogance) is hugely desireable.

Therefore heels = good.

However heels that result in her walking around like Bambi on ice = bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

beks101 wrote: »
    I think it's the confidence rather than the heels themselves that make heels a hit with a lot of men
    nedtheshed wrote: »
    Heels can lead to a woman feeling sexier,this leads to the woman feeling more confident,confidence (not arrogance) is hugely desireable.

Therefore heels = good.

Agree with both of these statements.

If a woman feels sexy and confident in what she's wearing, that's often very attractive to men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

beks101 wrote: »
    Well hello there, I'm one of em.:D

I love wearing heels. I'll wear them to work as well as the pub, night club etc

I'm not talking thigh high boots or six inch stilettos (there's a time and place!) but for example, at the moment it's winter so I'm generally wearing leather boots with a 4-inch heel, black ankle boots or simple office heels to work.The only time I'm not wearing them is when I'm exercising or lounging around the house.

I don't cake myself in makeup or fake tan or any of those generalisations that seem to be thrown about; nor am I wearing heels to attract male attention - I couldn't give a crap, I just genuinely love wearing heels.

However I am picky about my shoes and wouldn't dream of buying a pair that caused me pain - I'd just be limping around the place thinking of nothing but how uncomfortable they are and dying to take them off anyway, which to me sort of defeats my purpose for wearing them - they make me feel good.

I think it's the confidence rather than the heels themselves that make heels a hit with a lot of men (except the OP obviously) although I do agree that there's nothing more unattractive than a woman plodding along in a pair of hideously high heels that she's clearly just wearing to make an impression

Ah yeah that's totally fair enough but in my experience you are an exception. I'm probably over-rationalising my point of view, like heels wouldn't directly put me off a woman but the lack of them, along with a lack of the other stuff just appeals to me.

If a woman gets confidence from wearing them and that makes them feel good, fair enough. If they do that while putting up with pain then I doubt I'd like them very much. For someone to be willing to put up with pain to "look good" and feel confident then I don't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Ah yeah that's totally fair enough but in my experience you are an exception. I'm probably over-rationalising my point of view, like heels wouldn't directly put me off a woman but the lack of them, along with a lack of the other stuff just appeals to me.

If a woman gets confidence from wearing them and that makes them feel good, fair enough. If they do that while putting up with pain then I doubt I'd like them very much. For someone to be willing to put up with pain to "look good" and feel confident then I don't like that.

While I respect your views and opinions, I do not share them.

I like it when a woman has gone to the effort to look good.

I also put in a bit of effort - clean shaven, appropriately dresses, etc.
    When I look good, I feel good about myself.

I know the argument that you don't need to dress up to feel good about yourself, or be confident - and while that is correct, I do think looking good helps you feel good.

If a girl woman feels good in a hoodie top, baggie jeans and no makeup, good for her, but the girl woman in heels with make up, wearing pretty clothes will get my attention.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well, some of us girls are just too short :o and in order to see over the bar, we need heels :D

And when on a night out, a nice pair of heels make us feel incredibly sexy. And at the end of the day, it's how we feel about ourselves not how everyone else feels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I love women in heels, they look sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

serenacat wrote: »
    hey i'm a girl and am being nosy reading this discussion but thought a bit of honesty is required.

as a high heel wearer i own many heels most of which after 1 hour of contant wear really hurt and i agree that even flats are painful sometimes but heels are made to
    1) make a girl's bum stick out
    2) elongate the legs
    3) make feet look smaller

overall to feminise a womens body and i look hotter in heels as well every women for those reasons as these are all ques for fertility.

I only wear heels on occasions such as dinner/drink with boyfriend/party/nightclub event as i can't walk far in most of heels.
    I wear heels to look more attractive to my boyf and before i was with him to every male nearby so i thought i would be honest as some others are claiming they endure such pain/blisters for their self if that was the case girls would wear stilletos at sleepovers and around the house.

And another thing is i do think some heels do look 'slutty' like the very very high narrow ones that are in for awhile.

Finally some honesty! I believe that this (from my experience) would be the norm...
    Its great that some people think that heels may make a woman feel/look sexier but we can agree to disagree on what turns people on.

However the fact that women wear heels to increase their confidence.... is it just me who thinks that to endure the aforementioned pain to increase your confidence seems wrong and perhaps you should examine what is causing your lack of confidence???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

I must be weird.
    I think shorter girls look better without to be honest, I think a girl who can confidenty wear a dress with a pair of old white trainers is my type of girl :D
    I dont see the point in them apart from as already mentioned about elongating the legs etc
    But then I prefer the natural look on a girl.
    If anything heels make a girl look sexy but if they feel they need to wear them then its a big turn off for me, girls who dont buy into the usual **** and have they're own ideas about things get me going.
    Yeah they can have they're own ideas and wear heels but thats not the message I get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

thethedev wrote: »
    I must be weird.
    I think shorter girls look better without to be honest,.

I prefer short girls too but high heels still look sexy, :)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Agree with both of these statements.

If a woman feels sexy and confident in what she's wearing, that's often very attractive to men.

sexy and confident what a combo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Shinyboots

more of a boot lover myself now, nothing beats a great pair boots with a great pair of heels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Theres nothing worse than a woman who is trying too hard to impress, they stand out a mile. They are the ones who wear 6 inches of make-up, short skirts and low tops at the same time (apparently a no-no!) and heels they cant stand in. And they all seem to take themselves way too seriously. The host of a certain Sunday Night Talent show and the Posh wife of a very famous English footballer would be prime examples, far too high maintenance for me, can't see the attraction at all!

I love seeing women in heels but if they look like they can't sit in them let alone stand in them I steer clear.

I'd much rather see a girl who looked like she just fell out of bed with no make up, hair scraped back, wearing trackie bottoms and a hoodie if she looked comfortable in them than someone who pours herself into the latest fashion because she thinks thats what men like. Sense of humour is more important to me than what any girl looks like. Once knew a girl who refused to wear anything but Doc Martens on her feet and she was one of the sexiest women I ever met!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

I can only wear high heels! I have been wearing high heels for almost 15 years, and whenever I wear flat shoes for a few hours I get sore feet! Its a good thing at the moment, as long as I don't end up with a bad back in years to come!

P.C. wrote: »
    While I respect your views and opinions, I do not share them.

I like it when a woman has gone to the effort to look good.

I also put in a bit of effort - clean shaven, appropriately dresses, etc.
    When I look good, I feel good about myself.

I know the argument that you don't need to dress up to feel good about yourself, or be confident - and while that is correct, I do think looking good helps you feel good.

If a girl woman feels good in a hoodie top, baggie jeans and no makeup, good for her, but the girl woman in heels with make up, wearing pretty clothes will get my attention.

As I said, I prefer when confidence comes from within, rather than from how one feels as a result of their physical appearance. Different strokes and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Not really sure I buy that amacachi. If you took a girl out to dinner at a nice restaurant and she showed up in jeans and a hoody, would you be ok with that?

It's all very well to say confidence comes from within, but you can have inner confidence and still like to dress up for a night out. I personally think that it means a lot to make an effort for a guy - even more so if you're the kind of girl who'd look good in a binbag.

Heels are part of that for many women, I know they are for me. They make me feel sexier; or rather they make me feel like I look sexy, if that makes sense. I'd still feel sexy in flats.

shellyboo wrote: »
    Not really sure I buy that amacachi. If you took a girl out to dinner at a nice restaurant and she showed up in jeans and a hoody, would you be ok with that?

It's all very well to say confidence comes from within, but you can have inner confidence and still like to dress up for a night out. I personally think that it means a lot to make an effort for a guy - even more so if you're the kind of girl who'd look good in a binbag.

Heels are part of that for many women, I know they are for me. They make me feel sexier; or rather they make me feel like I look sexy, if that makes sense. I'd still feel sexy in flats.

Obviously if there's a dress code whether stated or implied then I would meet it and expect anyone else to meet it. I'm talking about day-to-day stuff, or even week-to-week pubbing/clubbing. Obviously I would expect effort and make effort myself in certain situations but they're limited.
    I dunno, if I wanted to spend a few paragraphs rationalizing it from my perspective and acknowledging things about myself I'm sure I could, but I don't really feel like doing that right about now.
    Whether you believe me or not is another thing, of girls I've been with/liked, none of them I've ever seen wearing heels more than twice, all at debs/21sts/weddings, so it seems that in practice what I'm saying holds true for me.

No, you're kind of implying that women who DO wear heels and DO dress up are somehow lesser in confidence or value than women who don't - which is kind of offensive, really.

I respect your right to have a preference, we all do - but you come across as looking down at women who prefer to be dressed up than dressed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

No, you're kind of implying that women who DO wear heels and DO dress up are somehow lesser in confidence or value than women who don't - which is kind of offensive, really.

I don't believe he is. He is saying some women feel more confident in heels, and some women don't require heels to feel confident.

Would you disagree with this?

He certainly has not insinuated a woman who wears heels is of a lesser "value", rather she is just not as attractive to him as someone who does not wear heels.

I personally would share a similar opinion. I find heels to be somewhat of a social convention for women. I find it a lot more attractive a women who ignores social conventions for their own individuality. My OH hardly ever wears heels (outside of formal gatherings) and ignores fashion trends. It was these qualities that attracted me to her.

I respect your right to have a preference, we all do - but you come across as looking down at women who prefer to be dressed up than dressed down.

No, as I said it's a different type and source of confidence.

I don't look down on women who like to be dressed up, I just know which I prefer.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I don't believe he is. He is saying some women feel more confident in heels, and some women don't require heels to feel confident.

Would you disagree with this?
    No, as I said it's a different type and source of confidence.

Some women don't require heels to feel confident but wear them anyway... that's the point I'm making. Just because a woman decides to wear heels doesn't make her a sheep, or lacking in confidence - which seems to be what you're both implying.

Some women don't require heels to feel confident but wear them anyway... that's the point I'm making. Just because a woman decides to wear heels doesn't make her a sheep, or lacking in confidence - which seems to be what you're both implying.

haha, it's all kicking off now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

I find it kind of weird that you think girls endure "pain" to wear heels? :confused:

Some high heel shoes are painful to wear. Some low shoes are painful to wear.

I try to avoid the painful ones - low or high. As do most girls I know.

Believe me, we do not walk around in agony all day, in some effort to please you guys :rolleyes:

Personally, I usually wear 4-5 inch heels - because I like them, because they look good on me, because they're comfortable to walk in, because they keep my feet dry in the snow!

My boyfriend is the other side of the country, so it's not to please him - nor to please any other man, before you suggest it!

High heels are what I'm comfy in. In my opinion, nice heels worn with a fitted skirt suit are in no way "trashy" or "slutty" - in fact, I think it's quite a polished professional look.

You don't think so? I don't care.
    here here, i remember when heels were out and big clumpy platform type shoes wre the in thing, its one of tye few time that i was glad that fashion is cyclical and it was just a matter of paitance until heels came back

Just because a woman decides to wear heels doesn't make her a sheep, or lacking in confidence - which seems to be what you're both implying.

Would you agree that some women feel more confident when they wear heels?

• Advertisement

I believe I just said that myself...

yea Id agree with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Of course high heels can look sexy and sophisticated if it's the right pair of shoes and on the right woman.

http://www.mobilisdirect.com/neen/cms/library-media/images/high-heels-250x250.jpg

Fairly inoffesnive and pretty I'd say..

I've never worn heels myself I'm 5ft10 so don't need them and they're just not my style anyway (I also like dancing way to much to let a pair of shoes impede me on the dancefloor!) so I too am a bit mystified by the whole high heel obsession.

The problem as I see it is the obsession with the really manky trashy looking shoes to match equally trashy manky handbags and bad hairdo's that I'll never understand. Also imo the higher the heel the trashier they're likely to look.

for example: http://www.misshighheel.com/boots-del3005.html
    http://www.elegantheels.co.uk/high_heels.jpg

Hideous right!?

I think a lot of girls like them cos they make you look a damn site skinnier than you really are which is always a bonus on a night out I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

No they're not. You're completely and utterly twisting their words in order to find offense

amacachi is not attracted to girls who derive confidence from wearing heels/other items of clothing.

He's entitled to be attracted to whoever he likes.

He has not in any way implied that every girl who wears heels does so in order to derive confidence or that they are necessarily lacking in confidence in any way.

Of course high heels can look sexy and sophisticated if it's the right pair of shoes and on the right woman.

http://www.mobilisdirect.com/neen/cms/library-media/images/high-heels-250x250.jpg

Fairly inoffesnive and pretty I'd say..

I've never worn heels myself I'm 5ft10 so don't need them and they're just not my style anyway (I also like dancing way to much to let a pair of shoes impede me on the dancefloor!) so I too am a bit mystified by the whole high heel obsession.

The problem as I see it is the obsession with the really manky trashy looking shoes to match equally trashy manky handbags and bad hairdo's that I'll never understand. Also imo the higher the heel the trashier they're likely to look.

for example: http://www.misshighheel.com/boots-del3005.html
    http://www.elegantheels.co.uk/high_heels.jpg

Hideous right!?

I think a lot of girls like them cos they make you look a damn site skinnier than you really are which is always a bonus on a night out I suppose.

no way, i dont have a problem with them at all!

I believe I just said that myself...

Correct. So you in turn agree that some women feel less confident when they aren't wearing heels.

This is amacachi's and my point, that women who derive confidence from wearing heels are not as attractive to us as women who have this confidence already without heels.

You can't argue our point since you have admitted you agree with it.

• Advertisement

This is amacachi's and my point, that women who derive confidence from wearing heels are not as attractive to us as women who have this confidence already without heels.

So (just wondering) where do ye stand on women who wear heels because they want to/goes with outfit, i.e. nothing to do with confidence boosting.
    They have confidence in whatever footwear their choose.

I for example, don't wear footwear to boost my confidence, I wear what I want and what I'm in the mood for.
    Oh and I don't do 'fashion trends', I couldn't care less, I know what I like and I go with that.

star-pants wrote: »
    So (just wondering) where do ye stand on women who wear heels because they want to/goes with outfit, i.e. nothing to do with confidence boosting.

Well I already said, my OH wears heels to formal events, etc

I think the point here is perspective. Heels are neither attractive or unattractive to me. They get bunched in with excessive makeup, fake tan, pushup bras and other aids some women use to change their visual appearance to alter the perception of them by others.

I find the lack of these aids more appealing. A woman who does not need to alter or conceal their true appearance from others is a lot more attractive to me than an individual who does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well I already said, my OH wears heels to formal events, etc

I think the point here is perspective. Heels are neither attractive or unattractive to me. They get bunched in with excessive makeup, fake tan, pushup bras and other aids some women use to change their visual appearance to alter the perception of them by others.

I find the lack of these aids more appealing. A woman who does not need to alter or conceal their true appearance from others is a lot more attractive to me than an individual who does.

I don't know about this. I think the things you mention are arbitrary. Sure, I accept that you wouldn't find these things attractive, but there's very little that people can do that wouldn't alter their true appearance. What about brushing/cutting/colouring your hair? Almost every item of clothing that a woman choses to wear is an aid to alter the perception of them by others.

Malari wrote: »
    Almost every item of clothing that a woman choses to wear is an aid to alter the perception of them by others.

They are arbitrary, yes :confused: did I insinuate they weren't?

It comes down to form over function I guess. As soon as the function becomes redundant in favour of form solely I no longer find that attractive.

I accept that women do alter their appearance by their clothing, hair... etc. But these serve a function out of necessity. Superfluous visual alterations that serve no function other than attempting to alter how an individual is perceived are not attractive to me.

That's grand, I guess I meant more that those who find heels an aid to boosting confidence, how do they separate those that are using them as an aid, to those that aren't?
    Purely curiosity, because I fully understand people are attracted to different things. I myself have odd quirks regarding whether a guy is attractive or not to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement