Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought in UK return in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Bought a pair of boots in London at a well known shoe chain shop. A few weeks later the heel breaks and sole is coming off.

Can I return them to a Dublin branch of the same shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Bought a pair of boots in London at a well known shoe chain shop. A few weeks later the heel breaks and sole is coming off.

Can I return them to a Dublin branch of the same shop?

Depends, the Irish branch might be a separate/different company

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ring a branch of the store in Ireland,speak to a manager and ask them. If they say they're unwilling to help you'll have no choice but to accept that.

You can call the UK store you bought from and explain the situation to them. If you bought your boots in a bricks and mortar shop and they say that they will fix or exchange your boots,you will be responsible for payment of all postage involved in the arrangement. They may be sticky about returns made my post but be firm and explain that consumer rights are standardised across the EU and that you are entitled to a return,replacement or a repair.If you have trouble call the head office of the company in the UK and they might arrange a postal return for you.

If all reason fails you could take them to the European Small Claims Court and get your money back.Probably just threatening to do this would light a fire under them however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Thanks for the replies.
    Will try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

My mum recently bought an item in M&S in Birmingham, it broke, and I returned it for her, without any hassle, to M&S in Cork.

I'd be surprised if you were refused an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Clarks will definitly return if it's them, we used to process about one a month either exchanges or damaged goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

grenache wrote: »
    My mum recently bought an item in M&S in Birmingham, it broke, and I returned it for her, without any hassle, to M&S in Cork.

I'd be surprised if you were refused an exchange.

Sometimes this can be done because the companys operate of the same computer system and will allow them do the exchange rate. I know a few electrical retailers that operate in the uk and Ireland, but are different companys that trade under the same name. They are linked, however their computer systems are different.

Advertisement