Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been out hiking in the snow?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How are the roads around there Cookie Monster?

roads are fine, no ice expect the odd chunk of snow here and there. a lot of water both sitting on roads and flowing accross / down them in places. surface has gotten rough in places. its grand though, easily accessable, snow only very high up, maybe 350m plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

roads are fine, no ice expect the odd chunk of snow here and there. a lot of water both sitting on roads and flowing accross / down them in places. surface has gotten rough in places. its grand though, easily accessable, snow only very high up, maybe 350m plus

Thanks CM. (I don’t seem to have a thumbs-up button for this yet, apparently because I haven’t posted enough yet to be trusted to use it responsibly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

A fabulous day today weather wise. Did Cruagh - Prince Williams Seat - Fairy Castle - Tibraddin.

Hard going from Cruagh - Knocknagun, snow in places maybe 2/3 feet deep but it can largely be avoided (pic). Won't last long though, temperatures were quite high. Less snow heading towards Prince Williams Seat although you do have to be careful as there are some extremely deep pools of water (at least the height of a walking stick) covered with snow and brittle ice in this area. Fairy Castle to Tibraddin some spots with bad ice (took a hop myself) but not much snow.

Wicklow/Dublin mountains in Kippure direction look like they have patchy snow also (pic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tom Bombadil

Hi
    Snow has passed away :(
    9 days ago on Clohernagh (Glenmalure):
    0DSC_9480.jpg

Yesterday:
    0_DSC9948.jpg

More photos: http://gallery.arklow.pl/categories.php?cat_id=10

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

so sad to see the snow go...it was fun while it lasted:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Was out on Muckish (Donegal) yesterday. Only got half way up the miner's track as the snow was too deep. Check out some photos @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/donegal_daragh/sets/72157623212648305/

Errigal Photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/donegal_daragh/sets/72157623208479112/

Hope to get out again tomorrow and try Muckish from the Grotto side. Snow conditions have been amazing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

jenius wrote: »
    Maybe im crazy, but was hoping to hike djouce this Saturday. Is the big problem the roads, the hike itself, or both?
    Walked up Djouce a few weeks ago from Crone car park - snow close to summit but no problem
    Did a circuit around Seehan/Seefin on sunday morning- covered in snow and very foggy. Compass and map essential.
    75547820.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, I did a circuit of Camenabologue, Table, 3 Lakes, Conavalla from Baravore on Sunday. Heavy snowfall above about 500m around midday and visibility of less than 50m in places. Hardly a soul to be seen either except for a large group that appeared out of the murk as we got to 3 Lakes. There's a surprising amount of snow still hanging around the south and west of the Wicklow Mountains .. more than there is in the area closer to Dublin by the look of it.

By the way, there are parts of the road from the Glenmalure Inn to Baravore that are in complete tatters, with some serious potholes, so be careful. It looks like there had been some serious water and rock slides coming of the hillside at the peak of the melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

Seefingan last Sunday - felt like another planet

yRlhz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

micawber wrote: »
    Seefingan last Sunday - felt like another planet

yRlhz.jpg

Superb photo that!

Was up Slieve Bearnagh in the Mournes on Sunday last. Large amount of snow above Hare's Gap. Got quite a good bit of the way up but my mate got a bit iffy when the mist moved in and the wind picked up so we came back down.

Personally, my first experience of a decent amount of snow and the hills really are a different challenge in those conditions. Bearnagh is quite steep from Hare's Gap and was like a ski-slope in places! Good fun and something of a learning experience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

4404085863_6bdc127ce4_b.jpg

4404865578_61b33668b4_b.jpg

Slieve League feb 28

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Did the circuit of the Glen of Imaal on Sunday...
    Heavy snow underfoot in some places.. mostly white-out conditions (especially on Lug)...
    I did the same route two weeks ago and it took 7.5 hrs... it took us 10 hours on Sunday.. as we got lost twice (once in response to what we thought was an emergency call) and (once because we did not trust the compass) - always trust the compass!!!

Heading to camp in the Mournes next week and then off to discover Donegal in the coming weeks.

Oh.. btw.. we came across a guy near Fraughen Glen on Sunday who didn't have a map/compass.. this gentleman was 'experienced.'
    He had to rely on us to reach the path to Fraughan Glen exit... three of us had maps and offered him one (just in case), but his male pride would not let him accept the map.
    Moral of the story.. do not go into the mountains without a compass/map regardless of what you perceive your experience to be.
    Pride = hypothermia.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

There was a mountain rescue call out to Fraughan Rock Glen the other day.. an older gentleman needed assistance. Just shows you you can never be too prepared.

Yeah... when I heard I thought it was the same guy... but it stated that he was alone..
    The guy we met had a female partner w/him...

When we started out (having check met/acuweather forecast the day before) w/anticipated a fine day w/no snow/hail.
    We got the exact opposite.
    I kid you not - later in the day we had to have out tea in a storm shelter.. and because of the conditions we did the last 1.5hrs in the dark.
    But because we were well prepared... I didn't really matter.

It was hard not to force the map on the guy.. we even said we'd give him the map..!!
    Be safe - be prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 moylaghshergar

Does anyone know if there's much snow on Lugnaquilla? Also would it be safe to hike without crap-ons? And if there is snow how much time would this add to ones hike?

Cheers

Not sure if conditions have changed from Sunday (snowfall or thaw/freeze).. if they haven't then crampons are not necessary...
    I don't think there has been a thaw/freeze cycle of any significance...
    Simple rule here is... if you find that you need crampons on the way up then either put them on (if you have them) or turn back... and do another route.
    Keep in mind the trouble that a few guys got into on Carrantouhil in early Jan.. they (I think) went up the Devil's ladder and kept going regardless even thought they required crampons... result = they required rescue as they could not get down and I think one of the guys took a nasty spill and was shook up.
    Unless we get more snowfall and a thaw/freeze cycle.. then I think crampons may be in the closet for the rest of the year...
    Unless your a sickening fecker like me and you hitting Scotland this weekend.. .yeah I know .. I make myself sick sometimes :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone know if there's much snow on Lugnaquilla? Also would it be safe to hike without
    crap-ons? And if there is snow how much time would this add to ones hike?

Cheers
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Was up Mt Leinster yesterday from the Kiltealy side, plenty of snow near the summit, from about 500m onwards. No need for crampons the normally boggy ground was frozen solid in most parts, will post up a pic tomorrow.

Plenty of sleet and snow was falling on the upper stretches!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Does anyone know if there's much snow on Lugnaquilla? Also would it be safe to hike without crap-ons? And if there is snow how much time would this add to ones hike?

Cheers

regardless on how much snow is there I wouldn't of though crampons would ever be required. No-where steep enough really in my experience (from Glenmalure side only)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

CLimbed the Great Gully on Muckish yesterday. Superb conditions. Ice axe and crampons definitely required. Who needs to go to Scotland when you have these conditions at home!
    4408607712_58706dd3a6_o.jpg
    4407834853_f2e0c15af6_o.jpg

more photos here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Looks great Muckish - must try and make my way up there sometime

Here's a shot from Mt Leinster in the Sunny South East taken on Wednesday

4410874006_71ef0e7ae4.jpg

Advertisement