Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kinds of Shooting You've Never Tried, But Would Like To

Options
  • 07-01-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about this earlier, and it seems as though it'd be nearly as fitting in Target Shooting, since a lot of it would be discipline-specific, but I'd like to give hunters the opportunity to talk about the target shooting type stuff they'd like to do, and vice versa, and everything in between. So the idea is to think of the sort of shooting you've never done, for whatever reason - money, no opportunity, preoccupation with other stuff, or anything else - but would like to. Obviously if it's stuff you intend to do, but haven't gotten around to yet, that'd be included. I'm young, and have plenty of shooting time left to try things, so will probably get to try all the stuff on my list with any luck.

Imperial Fullbore/Palma Rifle - This is prone rifle, shot from 300 to 1000 yards mostly. .308 only. Looks like this

Will need to have a rifle built for that. Also considering a lightweight .300 Win Mag in a mountain rifle style for driven shooting and hunting abroad, be it elk in Scandinavia or plains game in Africa, as I'd love to try those.

So what would you guys try if you had more time, or money, or the opportunity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Daytime calling of coyotes and bobcats in the good ole US of A or Canada (do they have bobcats in Canada?). Armed with a nice .50 cal muzzle loader.

Some day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fairly short list, 'cos I do the stuff I like right now :)

ISSF 300m 3P maybe, and Palma, but not until after I win the lotto. I'd like to get back to some 50m 3P at some stage, but not until I'm close enough to an actual 50m range that I could train a few times a week - nothing more fustrating than knowing you could be better, if only you could train more often, but also knowing that that's impossible for stupid logistical reasons.

To be honest, I'm just not done with ISSF 10m rifle yet. Still haven't broken 570 (569's the current PB) and so long as a "recreational" shooter in the rest of the world is someone who puts in 580s, I don't think I'm going to be done with what I'm doing for a while yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wouldn't mind the ISSF 300m stuff either actually, though shooting a lot more prone these days than anything else, and the imperial stuff seems like a more interesting prone variant than 300m prone to me. If I start shooting more standing and 3P, I'll probably do something in that line, but I'd probably go for the standard rifle in that case, for something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Practical Pistol, Deer Stalking, Driven Boar Hunt, F-Class and Gallery Rifle. Wouldn't mind tryin a bit of that ISSF Air Rifle and Pistol? Not sure what disciplines there are?

murph226 wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind tryin a bit of that ISSF Air Rifle and Pistol? Not sure what disciplines there are?

In ISSF?

25m Smallbore Pistol (Standard, Sport, Rapid Fire)
    25m Centrefire Pistol
    10m Air Pistol
    50m Free Pistol
    10m Air Rifle
    50m Prone Smallbore Rifle
    50m Three Positions Rifle
    300m Rifle (Standard Rifle, Prone, Three Positions)

Think that's it, but any others can be filled in handily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

An excuse to pull atrigger if I could afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

id like to have a go at the deer stalking (without politics involved)

primarily just to get another rifle:)

Wouldn't mind the ISSF 300m stuff either actually, though shooting a lot more prone these days than anything else, and the imperial stuff seems like a more interesting prone variant than 300m prone to me. If I start shooting more standing and 3P, I'll probably do something in that line, but I'd probably go for the standard rifle in that case, for something a bit different.
    See, I keep looking at traditional fullbore target shooting and thinking that if you're not shooting a 120-shot match, you're not really trying ;):D Hence 300m 3P :D
    I can see the point about the standard rifle though - and they sure are pretty :)

Bleiker_std_300mWEB.jpg

Sparks wrote: »
    See, I keep looking at traditional fullbore target shooting and thinking that if you're not shooting a 120-shot match, you're not really trying ;):D Hence 300m 3P :D
    I can see the point about the standard rifle though - and they sure are pretty :)

Bleiker_std_300mWEB.jpg

I have to say, I like the idea of the 3x20. There's more pressure, with less time to make up for any errors. Also, to add a longer range without changing any other element seems too similar to me. Needs to be complementary, while remaining distinct. Hence the Standard Rifle stock and the 1.5kg trigger. And yeah, they are pretty. :) Someday in the next few years, hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

The Imperial meeting is a joy to shoot. Its also a joy to behold, if you've ever been / seen photos. Every firing point on Century range full and 2x the number of spectators behind.

The way the butt markers start the shoot in the morning makes the heart race, I never liked the first detail for that very reason.

They put all the targets at half mast, and, on command, raise them en-mass to signal the start of shooting. A sight to behold.

You meet all sorts, I shared a firing point with a Canadian several time DCRA winner / Queens finalist (whose name escapes me) and he was willing to offer advice and pointers on the wind during the shoot.

I will shoot the Imperial again in the next few years.

http://serc.org.uk/assets/images/Century%20Full.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Deer stalking: hopefully by next season:)
    Boar hunting on the continent
    And last and never to be seen in Ireland some pratical shooting, any of them, they look like great craic!

demonloop wrote: »
    The way the butt markers start the shoot in the morning makes the heart race, I never liked the first detail for that very reason.
    They put all the targets at half mast, and, on command, raise them en-mass to signal the start of shooting. A sight to behold.
    That's not the signal to start, it's the signal that they're drowning!

2006storms-4.jpg

:D

(For those who weren't around, Bisley flooded badly two years ago - all of Century range was under at least a foot of water and lots of matches got cancelled)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Think I'd take my chances in the water rather than climb over the parapet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Oh dear, where to start!:D

Would love to try out the 300 - 600m fullbore Target Rifle discipline (UIT or similar) - And maybe, just maybe, someday give the old Palma a try out to 800 - 1000m!:D

Have seen some "practical" long-range rifle shooting - and whilst I know I have two chances of trying that out in Ireland, wouldn't mind giving it a go overseas. Seen some stuff in the States that appears to be a cross between orienteering, cross-country trekking, and long-range target shooting. Now that looks like fun! (And a "full body work-out" to boot!).

Closer to home, am hoping to get a chance to try my hand at gallery shooting.

And of course, "target" shooting with a 50 cal on semi-automatic?!!!!:rolleyes: Mmmmmm nice. (but oh so unlikely.)

But seriously though......

Think I'll start with the fullbore Target Rifle in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

For me ANYTHING as long as it's shooting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Big Game Hunting in Africa

Given the other thread, I ought to add ISSF 25m fullbore pistol in here just for the record :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i'd like to try running boar shooting , the target type , not the real ones , i seen it done online somewhere and it looked good fun , a lifesize target is suspended between two mounds of earth and the target travels between the two giving a brief chance to hit it .
    i think short barrel battue type rifles are used .

Used to be an olympic discipline at one time rowa, originally at 50m:

And then at 10m:

Was dropped from the olympic programme after 2004, but both 10m and 50m are still shot on the continent. 10m's more popular though.

whats that on the end of the barrel sparks ? is it a weight or harmoniser or something ?

• Advertisement

A barrel weight as far as I know rowa.

did you notice the cattle on the hill in the first video ? imagine what a range officer here would make of that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

A sunny day on the range, about 20 degrees would be nice without the politics.
    No mobile phones going off in the backround.
    No one asking you "hold tough" till they finish their phone conversion.

Break for a cup of tea and relax without the politics.
    No shooter beside you trying to see how fast he can empty a mag and spray the back drop.
    No one walking up to you in the middle of a practice session and asking what sort of ammo does she shoot. "Pick up an empty case I always think".

Most importantly NO POLITICS.

Kimber wrote: »
    A sunny day on the range, about 20 degrees would be nice without the politics.
    No mobile phones going off in the backround.
    No one asking you "hold tough" till they finish their phone conversion.

Break for a cup of tea and relax without the politics.
    No shooter beside you trying to see how fast he can empty a mag and spray the back drop.
    No one walking up to you in the middle of a practice session and asking what sort of ammo does she shoot. "Pick up an empty case I always think".

Most importantly NO POLITICS.

The mobile phone craic would certainly not be entertained on our range, especially on the firing point! Where is th RO while this is going on? Leave the phones in the car!

What politics? If you're breaking for tea, make safe and go to the clubhouse, thats what its for!

As for the shooter beside you, he paid his membership aswell and unless he's a safety risk, he's ok by me. Who's to say you're not annoying him with one of your habbits?

Lastly, while nobody should walk up on you while firing (again where is the RO?) I certainly don't mind someone asking me about my ammo, kit or firearm while I'm not in the middle of firing.
    Thats half the craic for me, going to the range and talking other shooters.
    Sounds to me like you need your own private range:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Been giving this some serious thought and to be honest i'm lucky enough to be shooting all the disciplines i want to. I've spent the last 20 years trying most of them and settled on the ones i shoot now.

The one thing i have wanted to do for some time is some sort of large game shoot. Water buffalo in Africa, Wild boar in Austria. Nothing like large cat/Rhino/Elephant shooting but large game that is abundant and not endangered.

When i win the lotto i will, but until then i'll just have to wait.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Been giving this some serious thought and to be honest i'm lucky enough to be shooting all the disciplines i want to. I've spent the last 20 years trying most of them and settled on the ones i shoot now.

The one thing i have wanted to do for some time is some sort of large game shoot. Water buffalo in Africa, Wild boar in Austria. Nothing like large cat/Rhino/Elephant shooting but large game that is abundant and not endangered.

When i win the lotto i will, but until then i'll just have to wait.

i was offered a weeks shooting wild boar in hungary two years ao and it wasn't that expensive, somewhere around 600-700 euros , accomodation and food is cheap , its better if you do it on privately owned ground though, because if done in the publically owned all sorts of fees and permits are needed driving up the cost , i believe poland and russia are around the same cost , and you have an excuse to apply for a 9.3x62 rifle licence .

The mobile phone craic would certainly not be entertained on our range, especially on the firing point! Where is th RO while this is going on? Leave the phones in the car!

What politics? If you're breaking for tea, make safe and go to the clubhouse, thats what its for!

As for the shooter beside you, he paid his membership aswell and unless he's a safety risk, he's ok by me. Who's to say you're not annoying him with one of your habbits?

Lastly, while nobody should walk up on you while firing (again where is the RO?) I certainly don't mind someone asking me about my ammo, kit or firearm while I'm not in the middle of firing.
    Thats half the craic for me, going to the range and talking other shooters.
    Sounds to me like you need your own private range:rolleyes:

Wheres your range??
    Sounds like a pertfect day on the range?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Palma looks like it could be great fun.I'd like to try that.Seen as I'm a target shooter I'd like to get into roughshooting somewhere down the line aswell .

Kimber wrote: »
    Wheres your range??
    Sounds like a pertfect day on the range?

Was perfect until I was refused a license for my Sig:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Was perfect until I was refused a license for my Sig:rolleyes:

Ah Murph.
    Sorry to hear that.

Advertisement