Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help my new site

Options
  • 07-01-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello all,

I'm an IT student and I just finished making a site that lets you add to a catalogue of Irish music created by its users. The idea being if you hear a tune and you like it you can then submit it to the site, the site then becomes a large index of tunes that people have enjoyed.

I enjoy listening to Irish music and sometimes I would like to find the sheet music to a tune I just head, the site also allows you to search for tunes and if its in the database it will be presented to you along with a link or book reference to where it can be found, depending how the user submitted the tune to the index in the first place.

This started off as a little holiday project consisting of a pen and paper and a big list of tunes that I like to play which I wanted to take note of, then I realised that I was an IT student and I should try apply my IT skills to the task and this site is the result of that work. I would really appreciate people giving it a go, maybe submitting a few tunes to flesh out the index a little, I would really appreciate it.You never know, you might even start submitting tunes to the site regularly (which I would love). Lastly, you should be aware you will be the first people to use the site so if you come across any bugs let me know via the email link on the site or in this thread.

Let me know what you think, I would appreciate any feedback.
    Kind regards,
    Dáibhí.

site www.ratload.com/itrad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Site is a good idea. Main flaw with sessions is not being able to listen to a recorded version. This would solve that problem.

Ive registered but havent received an email with my username etc..

my email and typed pwd isnt working.

EDIT: oh, you cant actually upload a recording. Would be an excellent addition to the site and not difficult to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 david.lpower

Hello neil_hosey,

The site doesnt use email activation (yet), the email and password you provided during registration (along with other deatails) are the two required to login,

Two new features that will be coming to the site soon will be the ability to upload a music file with the tune so it can be played by others and secondly the ability to create sets, I still need to do research into sets as I know little about them (I tend to play music by myself), e.g. if a jig is played can it be followed by another jig etc.

I sent you an email about about your login problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

It might be no harm in looking at the tunebook on thesession.org site to get some ideas for functionality maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

david, good idea. Do you intend to add sheet music and ABc's? You could also add a link to websites where the sheet music/ABc's/ Audio files are on line.

Have a look at http://www.thesession.org
    There is a large searchable database of tunes there with sheet music, ABc's and some midifiles.

www.comhaltas.ie has a large amount of tunes from the Foinn Seisiún series of books by the late Brian Prior on line in sheet music and recordings of the tunes along with a library of video clips of tunes played by various musicians.

Thanks nuttz & trad,

thesession.org has given me some great ideas thanks,

I never saw all that music on comhaltas.ie, great heads up.

Much appreciated guys.

• Advertisement

*update*

If you are having trouble logging in you can now get your account details sent to your email address using the new "Send A/C Details" option. This option only appears on the left hand side of the page when you are not logged in (naturally).

Dáibhí.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Am I wrong or is this just a list of tunes with references to tunebooks where you can find them? I mean, would you have to go and get the book to find the sheet music for the tune?

fh041205 wrote: »
    Am I wrong or is this just a list of tunes with references to tunebooks where you can find them? I mean, would you have to go and get the book to find the sheet music for the tune?

Hello fh041205,

At the moment thats what the site offers but I am currently working on allowing users to upload sheet music and audio to accompany the index of tunes.

Advertisement