Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock School

Options
  • 07-01-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wonderin what the expectations of new student are for rock school

I'm new to singing and instrumental lessons, but I really wanna do a full time course, instead of my usual 30 mins a week for 6 months ways

Is everyone on the course really good, and do you all have to do the same stuff???

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i think the standard for it is pretty high as far as i know,ive know people who applied and got rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I c

I'll hafta go along to the open day and nag the tutors so :P

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Are-You-In

unreggd wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wonderin what the expectations of new student are for rock school

I'm new to singing and instrumental lessons, but I really wanna do a full time course, instead of my usual 30 mins a week for 6 months ways

Is everyone on the course really good, and do you all have to do the same stuff???

Cheers

I'm in my second year of rock school now. The standard is pritty high, & theres always alot of applicants for the course.

In 1st year everyone does mostly the same classes. & you major in one thing.. whether it be guitar, drums, vocals, keyboards, or bass.
    I think it's the best course ever, i wish i could stay in it forever. You should go to the open day and have a look around anyway :) G'luck

yeah going to the open day would be your best bet,or asking some of the students in the class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, I'll be there, seekin out potential rockstars to nag :P

Cheers

• Advertisement

hopefully some will come on to this forum and you can nag them then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭DanHendrix

Sorry i asked this on another thread asweLl.Do you think it would be best to perform a cover song at the audition or would they rather you do originals. Or do you have to perform a few songs. And if i pass the 1st round interview whats the second round like...Any help appreciated..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Just a question, I attended a while back mid / late 90's. 78A rings bells. Their was a few mature students attending at the time late 20's early 30's. Is this still the case?

I know someone who's currently out of work and looking into courses, might steer him towards Ballyfermot for the open day coming up.

Interview process still the same, provide a demo for interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Gavin Wheeler

Another applicant for rock school here.Went to open day ten years ago and then again last week.Mature students are welcome.Just a question about the audition .Can drummers play to a backing track??? or does it have to be a solo piece.

Cheers
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

When i was there,i finished up in 2006,there were a number of students in their late 20's,early 30's so its open to all ages.

Gavin Wheeler: I think you can play to a backing track as long as there are no drums on the track but you would also want to find out if there is a CD player or something that you can play the track through. They could take you up to play on the electric drum kit in one of the rooms so if they do then you will be able to play the track through the PA up there.

To the original poster: yeah the standard is very high. For each of us that got in we had to beat 50 people. I think the year i did it there was about 2000 applicants for the course. You need to be accomplished to a point before doing it. When i got in i had played in a band for 3 years,had a number of recording sessions under my belt and had played about 200 gigs all over the country and i was just turning 21 then alot of the other people in my year were in the same boat as to experience.

Hope this is of some help to you all :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement