Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small hardy tropical fish

Options
  • 07-01-2010 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi i have a 70l tank at the moment i have 6 zebra danios and 6 gold barbs and i was looking for some nice small hardy fish that schools to go with these that would need the same conditions it would be nice if they were colourful aswell :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

If you want a fish that shoals definitely go for tetras. Neons, cardinals and glowlights all shoal and they are a beautiful sight. Glass catfish tend to stick together too, they are my favourite fish to have at the bottom of the tank.
    Other good fish I would suggest (but don't shoal) are mollies, platies, and guppies. You can get those in any pet shop that sells tropical fish. I have kept all of those successfully with danios and gold barbs without issue- I have all of the above at the moment apart from the barbs.

Here's a good index of fish species http://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not small but I have 8 tiger barbs that all stay together. Very good looking.

neons are good. I have 6 but they dont really stay togehter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

godtabh wrote: »
    Not small but I have 8 tiger barbs that all stay together. Very good looking.

neons are good. I have 6 but they dont really stay togehter.
    I heard tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers but they look really good

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭woodyman

Magenta wrote: »
    If you want a fish that shoals definitely go for tetras. Neons, cardinals and glowlights all shoal and they are a beautiful sight. Glass catfish tend to stick together too, they are my favourite fish to have at the bottom of the tank.
    Other good fish I would suggest (but don't shoal) are mollies, platies, and guppies. You can get those in any pet shop that sells tropical fish. I have kept all of those successfully with danios and gold barbs without issue- I have all of the above at the moment apart from the barbs.

Here's a good index of fish species http://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm
    What about cherry barbs are they ok and are runny nose tetras good

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Black neon tetra, Glowlight tetra, Cardinal tetra, Emperor tetra. Steer clear of Serpae Tetras and Columbian Tetras, they are quite nippy.

Also look for Harlequin Rasboras, they are cheap and shoal nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

woodyman wrote: »
    I heard tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers but they look really good

only with slow fish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Not so much shoaling fish but pretty and hardy none the less:
    Gourmi
    Hatchetfish
    Silver Dollar
    Blue / Yellow Rams

One nicely coloured male Siamese Fighting Fish I find also livens up a fish tank too.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

For a 70 ltr tank pls don't go near silver dollars they quiet bit,
    you could put in plenty of tetras as mentioned before, try some peacock gobys to these are nice fish stay small and give a bit of colour, or the live bearer root of guppy,s mollies sword tails and so on look nice to with plenty of colour,

good luck with it
    and don't forget some pics
    also a few nice plants look good to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Actually if you could track down some Endler Guppies they'd be brill, they are a smashing, lively, colourful little fish but sometimes hard to find in your average fish shop

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

have to agree with the endlers guppys there v nice, fintastic aquatics in dun laoighaire always have em,

• Advertisement
Advertisement