Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There goes my hero.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Joss Whedon.

He's just a very very good TV producer, that's all really. Everything he does is layered so well and the character development is excellent. I love this quote -
    " I'd rather make a show that 100 people need to see, than a show 1000 people like to see".
    If more producers had this attitude there'd be a lot less crap on TV these days!

Is that why all his shows tend to get cancelled? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭madheaded

article-1022460-0156355D00000578-541_468x393.jpg

Ryan Giggs.

Finally some other people who agree with me on this. no one i know gets it when i say Giggs is one of my heroes.
    Also whoever said James hetfield hes one of mine aswel and a true legend in my eyes still playin like he was 20.
    Lars Ulrich is another hero of mine altough not the best drummer ever he has stayed going even with all the criticism people have thrown at him over the years (especially the whole napster thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Piste wrote: »
    Is that why all his shows tend to get cancelled? ;)

Well, now that you mention it...
    Ah, buffy lasted the distance, thats all that matters really.
    Dollhouse was a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Josh Homme-riffage from nowhere, soft, heavy, melodic, sleazy...any way you want it, he's done it.

Henry Shefflin- yeah being a Tipp fan and all, still can't deny that :eek:, what a player he is. Joy to watch in what I class as greatest sport to watch.

There are many other famous people, won't bother continuing though. Some others to mention are those mountain rescue teams who went out getting people(read: idiots) who went for a look at the snow in mountain places over the last 2/3 weeks and got trapped. People who donate blood/platelets to help others too(not including myself:P)
    Milhouse wrote:
    The real heroes are
    out _there_, toiling day and night on more important things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Philippe Petit aka Man on Wire.

I read his "day in the life" last summer in the sunday times magazine. He just seems to sum up what a good life is really. I love this passage from the article..

"The World Trade Center walk was a performance like no other, almost a kind of exploration. Even now I clearly remember what I saw when I looked down. It was a multiple-level vision. I was looking at the ground full of little ants: my spectators. At the same time, looking down and spending quite a few minutes sitting on the wire, I sensed the immensity of what I was doing. I was suspended a quarter of a mile in the sky, a place where humans do not belong. It was a vision that filled my heart with joy and a certain power. I was venturing into another world. I had silent dialogues with birds. I felt the cable moving in the breeze and the affiliation of the wire. I was a young poet, trying something without really knowing what he was trying"

Major love for the guy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Philippe Petit aka Man on Wire.

I read his "day in the life" last summer in the sunday times magazine. He just seems to sum up what a good life is really. I love this passage from the article..

"The World Trade Center walk was a performance like no other, almost a kind of exploration. Even now I clearly remember what I saw when I looked down. It was a multiple-level vision. I was looking at the ground full of little ants: my spectators. At the same time, looking down and spending quite a few minutes sitting on the wire, I sensed the immensity of what I was doing. I was suspended a quarter of a mile in the sky, a place where humans do not belong. It was a vision that filled my heart with joy and a certain power. I was venturing into another world. I had silent dialogues with birds. I felt the cable moving in the breeze and the affiliation of the wire. I was a young poet, trying something without really knowing what he was trying"

Major love for the guy:)
    The Man on Wire documentary was class. He came across as a total psycho though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Richard Feynman

richard-feynman-american-physicist-.jpg

He makes me want to stay in academic science for the rest of my life and make it accessible for people (I really enjoy explaining things to people). I'll never be a physicist, but he's allowed me appreciate so much through his lectures.

Plus he's a general all round legend :D

Oh and Nietzsche portrait.jpg

Cos he has a great moustache and was batshít crazy (And I'm a nihilist.......).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

One of mine's already been said, but I'm saying it again.

Paramore (especially Zac). I honestly think they saved my life, the first time they were in Dublin I was suffering with Bulimia and Depression, but seeing them there was amazing. And Zac, especially, because he's dealt with being famous since he was fourteen...when most of us were fourteen we were being asked had we met anyone yet. Can you imagine being on a 30-odd date tour age 14, playing drums?

JK Rowling - She had a one year old child, was surviving on benefits, had her novel rejected seven times, and was living in squalor. Now she's a billionaire, with the world at her feet and the respect of so many people, and she inspires so many with her work. She's the ultimate interpretation of a hero to me, because she's kept her feet on the ground, from all the interviews and videos I've seen on her.

hayao_miyazaki_princess.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki.

I have come to the conclusion that I absolutely adore this guy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

andy_warhol.jpg

Andy Warhol - A visionary in so many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I really admire Stephen Fry, for being just so damn intelligent, Matt Bellamy for his musical ability, and Tom Waits for his abilities as a lyricist, and a musician.
    Also, Regina Spektor. She didn't even have a piano to play when she moved to America, but she really worked to make something of herself. I have to respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

brucespringsteen.jpg

john-keats.jpg

wilfred460.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I've never posted in this forum at all but this is an excellent thread. I'm heavily influenced by Sport and mostly they're my 'celebrity' heroes. Here goes. :)

Wayne%20Rooney_0.jpg

Wayne Rooney: The man is such a hero. He's young and has been United's best player(s) over the last several years. Bloody fast, great goalscorer and sets up balls well. What I love most about him is his tireless work rate, he's seen all over the field and gives tons of effort.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer. My favourite United player ever and he's the reason why I watched and still do. Absolute legend for the teamand one of our top goalscorers in history. Super-sub!

tom-brady-celebrates.jpg

Tom Brady. Most won't know who he is but he's the Quarterback of the New England Patriots. He's won three superbowls in five years and when he joined the team out of college he was drafted in the 6th of 7th rounds. He's been such an awesome player and many reckon he'll be among the best ever when retired. He's the reason why I play football!

1_FM_pic05.gif

Master Sgt. Gary Gordon and SFC Randall Shugart.
    They were Delta Force snipers who attempted to rescue a helicopter pilot Mike Durant, who's Black Hawk Helicopter was shot down in Somalia in 1993 (I think, not sure on date.) As hundreds of armed militia surrounded Durant they volunteered to go in and to rescue Durant until a larger rescue force could be called. They fought off a number but were overwhelmed by opposing forces and were killed. The pilot Durant was captured but later was released. Both Master Sgt. Gordon and SFC Shughart received the Medal of Honour (America's highest military award) for their bravery and couragous actions. I've nothing but undying respect for these guys, their actions never cease to amaze me. Subject of the popular film Black Hawk Down.

Their only a few. Others include Family, Friends, Past teachers, Sports friends etc. Sorry for the long post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

barack-obama-2.jpg

His election was the day my love for America was renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

tom-brady-celebrates.jpg

Tom Brady. Most won't know who he is but he's the Quarterback of the New England Patriots. He's won three superbowls in five years and when he joined the team out of college he was drafted in the 6th of 7th rounds. He's been such an awesome player and many reckon he'll be among the best ever when retired. He's the reason why I play football!

An absolute legend

a9edd09de79d56fe30d56f25db68a850.bmp

Arthur Abraham, German boxer this guy is one of the nicest and calmest guys people will ever meet but when he steps into an area with 4 ropes and no escape he turns into a psycho-path and he smashes his opponents to pieces. He is also a warrior with a load of heart, here in this picture he has broken jaw which he got when he fought a Colombian called Edision Miranda after being hit by Miranda in the fourth round Abraham's jaw was clearly broken so he continued to fight on and won the fight by Unanimous Decision after 12 rounds. He even showed the fight was no fluke and he fought Miranda a year later in Florida and knocked him out in five rounds.

unknown13 wrote: »
    An absolute legend

Hero. Him, Jason Witten and Wes Welker are other obsessions of mine.

You a fan? :)

Hero. Him, Jason Witten and Wes Welker are other obsessions of mine.

You a fan? :)

Oh, yeah went to Boston in 2005 not long after they won the Superbowl against the Eagles and since then I have been a Pats fan.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Oh, yeah went to Boston in 2005 not long after they won the Superbowl against the Eagles and since then I have been a Pats fan.

Excellent stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

I'm gonna say Spider-Man lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭beng128

Everybody who wants to play their own music should watch this, escpecialy form 3:15 to 4:15

Oh, and flea wound be my hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

He's not a celebrity, but I'd have to say my uncle. He's done so much for me, and continues to do so, is an all-round great, generous, funny caring person- the kind I wish I could be but will probaly never be. You know, I should probably tell him that some time.

Also Norm McDonald, what a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

carl1994.jpg

Carl Sagan. I love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    carl1994.jpg

Carl Sagan. I love him.
    Never would have guessed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Was going to start a new thread but then I came across this one, filled with gems already.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwrntOupUVMJt7waCd9OYLRGIo5zddI-HK3QXSY3wk3ISaMS-bW9H158fIWA

Socrates would be a hero of mine. I love reading accounts of his debates. As someone who finds it very hard to articulate their point reading his arguments is inspiring.

joni-mitchell-4.jpg

Joni Mitchell is a legend. She's an amazing songwriter and I find her endlessly fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Jay P wrote: »
    But does he need such a massively over the top kit?
    I'm not denying that he's really incredibly great, but the kit is just mental.

One of my favourite drummers (and I'm no expert) is Brann Dailor from Mastodon. The guy is a total machine. He is absolutely class. And all he uses is just a really basic kit. What a man.

Edit: Earlier I forgot to mention Bob Dylan. I think that man just oozes genius. The fact that close on 50 years after his first album he is still writing some seriously good songs is astounding. Nobody has ever had that kind of longevity ever. And the fact is, nobody probably ever will again. I could listen to him all day and all night and not get bored. His music goes from being so deep and powerful, to being vivid storytelling. He's so good I can't think of a suitable sentance to finish this with :o

One word. Bozzio.

Advertisement