Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random questions..

Options
  • 07-01-2010 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here know where can I get a torx tamperproof screwdriver size T8 - like an actual screwdriver, not one of those multi-bit things because I've got a T8 tamperproof but it won't fit down two holes on the xbox 360 controller.

Resistors, where to get them? I've searched ebay but I only seem to find bags of 100+ resistors on there, I'm only looking for 10 max. Maplin is in Dublin and AFAIK there's no place around my neck of the woods that does this sort of stuff so the internet seems to be the only option.

Other electronic stuff, like I'd like to pick up an RJ45 PCB header, though I might be able to pilfer one from an ethernet jack wallmount I have, a DB25 Male (LPT male) would be nice too, trying to get all the bits I need for the xbox hard drive uncrippling and various bits & pieces :)

Perspex, I'd love a sheet. I've got a dremel tool for cutting up the xbox case already so I'm good for tools I think.

If there were places you folks know of where I could pick this stuff up or start looking then I'm all ears (or eyes).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Maplin is the only man really. All I can say is that Ive ordered from their website before (due to the complete lazyness of staff in the Dub city centre branch) and had no problems. Ive gotten led's/resistors/wire/fibre optic cable etc so you should find anything your looking for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Does anybody here know where can I get a torx tamperproof screwdriver size T8 - like an actual screwdriver, not one of those multi-bit things because I've got a T8 tamperproof but it won't fit down two holes on the xbox 360 controller.

I got mine in a set in B&Q, here, so check homebase, providers and Ganlys i suppose
    Resistors, where to get them? I've searched ebay but I only seem to find bags of 100+ resistors on there, I'm only looking for 10 max. Maplin is in Dublin and AFAIK there's no place around my neck of the woods that does this sort of stuff so the internet seems to be the only option.

Farnell.com have an irish section, they sell everythign like that. Maplin.com might deliver?
    Other electronic stuff, like I'd like to pick up an RJ45 PCB header, though I might be able to pilfer one from an ethernet jack wallmount I have, a DB25 Male (LPT male) would be nice too, trying to get all the bits I need for the xbox hard drive uncrippling and various bits & pieces :)

Farnell again

Perspex, I'd love a sheet. I've got a dremel tool for cutting up the xbox case already so I'm good for tools I think.

B&Q sell big sheets of it, quite dear though
    If there were places you folks know of where I could pick this stuff up or start looking then I'm all ears (or eyes).

If you've exhausted options and are still stuck for something let me know. I've got couple of contacts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Cheers lads, that's exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I'd not considered Maplin had an online store, I always found them comparatively expensive compared with online shops (based the US with no delivery to Ireland, typical). At least I know that option is there though and can peruse their selection :)

Those screwdrivers were just the type of thing I was looking for witnessmenow, and at £10 the price isn't too bad either. I was tempted to buy some cheap stuff from ebay but I'd be afraid the handles would just spin if I tried unscrewing a tight screw - it's happened before with a set of precision/jeweller screwdrivers I got.

I search those places and see what I come up with, much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Maplin.com might deliver?

Maplin.co.uk do indeed deliver, Ive used them on numerous occasions. Ive often gone to the hassle of going into town to get supplies (leds, resistors etc) and certain staff in Maplin spend literally thirty seconds looking for something, and if they cant find it you get the usual line "Im sorry we have no stock".

That being said, Ive often gone in and gotten premium service, just depends on who you get. One day I knew the chap was just being a lazy boy, so after he told me "no stock", I waited ten mins and went to someone else and got the bits I was after.

Cheers for the links wittnessmenow, Ill check them out also and apply some bookmarking goodness :)

Advertisement