Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Search Engine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

m1racle wrote: »
    Thanks for the info jmcc, any idea why the .ie records were frozen?
    Most of European ccTLD registries blocked public access around the same time. The reason was that scammers were mining the data to send scam e-mails (that Internet Registry Ireland scam from Germany though that one mines a few printed/CD directories, I think) and the .UK registry had a fairly nasty case where an operation was hammering .uk registrants and it took court action to resolve the issue.
    It's data that's available through their whois surely they could provide access to it in bulk to people who apply in some way.
    It is a data protection issue. Even the access to IEDR's whois is limited so that it cannot be hammered.
    Just out of interest do you still maintain whoisireland.com? it seems to be the only Irish search engine with an extensive index.
    I've been meaning to transfer it to another server, update the existing data (the search index is frozen but I get requests to add sites) and add the gTLD data but I haven't had a chance due to work on HosterStats. Tracking approximately 112 million live domains and about 1.2 million active hosters is not exactly easy. The updates for January 2010 added another 10 million pages or so to the site.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement