Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for American opening nonresident bank acct asap

Options
  • 07-01-2010 7:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm going to be living in Dublin for 3 months in 3 weeks and have to open a nonresident bank account right away, in order to pay for my flat/apartment and the utilities. I've done some reading but so far have gotten conflicting info or else my questions aren't answered. Do you really have to have proof of residence on hand? Because if that's the case, how am I supposed to get around that if I just arrived in the country, thus don't have that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Yes. Do you have the rent agreement between you and the landlord? It will have your name and address on it. Will you be working? If so you can get a letter the social welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

It'll be tricky. Some banks may accept your lease agreement / employer reference, but most won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ravenlady

I'm not going to be working at all, this is going to be an extended vacation. Ugh, don't tell me I'm going to have to stay in a hotel all that time at an exorbitant cost, in that case I think I may have to change my plans and just stay for a month instead.

If you are paying utilities will the bills be in your name? They can give you a letter with your name and address on it.

Yes the bill would be under my name, I am traveling solo.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if it's commonplace to pay rent via credit card?

No. Payments are usually made to the landlords account. Only purchases and cash advances can be made on a credit card.

Advertisement