Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avalanche Warning on Irish Peaks

Options
  • 07-01-2010 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Avalanche warning for peaks as freeze to worsen
    EXPERIENCED mountain rescuers yesterday issued an Alpine-style avalanche warning as Met Eireann predicted a severe drop in temperatures over the coming days.
    Inexperienced climbers have been told to keep off high peaks by Kerry Mountain Rescue in case of an avalanche caused by heavy snowfall.
    The rescue team said conditions on the MacGillicuddy Reeks were ripe for the kind of major snow slippages normally experienced in the Alps.
    Avalanches occur when thawing takes place above freezing ground, causing the layer of snow above to slip -- with potentially fatal consequences.
    Mountaineering Ireland said that climbers without the necessary training could put their lives -- and those of mountain rescue teams -- at risk by attempting to scale the country's highest mountains.
    Chairman of Mountaineering Ireland, Ruairi O Conchuir, said that all climbers should pay heed to the warning and inexperienced walkers should not venture out.
    "The wet, soft snow is expected to continue for the next couple of days," he said. "We have called on all those who use the mountains not to put themselves or members of mountain rescue teams at risk."
    High peaks in Mayo, Galway, Donegal, Down and Wicklow should also be avoided unless climbers had the appropriate training, he added.
    The Kerry Mountain Rescue team said it was "alarmed" at the levels of unpreparedness they had encountered -- as inexperienced walkers took to the hills.

Air temperature got down to at least -16C in Ireland last night. The following nights may see even lower

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

More info on avalanches, http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Avalanches

We could do with a warning system like they have in Alpine countries e.g.

http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/english/

As I have already fallen through the ice on a frozen lake and got lost in a white out on the Reeks, I think I gotta try this avalanche stuff out to complete the calamities...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Bring some Black Cats and shout loudly as you wander the hills - don't forget your Avalanche Airbag!

concussion wrote: »
    Bring some Black Cats and shout loudly as you wander the hills - don't forget your Avalanche Airbag!

:D

I want one of those little cannons, like Higgins in Magnum PI. That oughtta bring it crashing down!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Nice find...it just so happens that I'm an Artilleryman....where and when do you want me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe you could get a bit of practice in firing a few shells at the North Prison from the firing range :D There shoudn't be too many people up there today, so fire away!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

an avalanche warning in ireland, i never thought i'd see the day! I know they're dangerous and all but am i the only one who's just a little bit delighted to see this?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Could this be the future? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Could this be the future? :D
    oh yes please. My ice axe has seen more ice in the past 10 days than in the past 10 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I'm sorry I didnt invest in some more hardware back when I had the oportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It would be interesting to see the after effects of an avalanche in wicklow. There have been some in wales already. Maybe with the thaw ireland could have a few on high mtns. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8460349.stm
    Anyone seen any around?

Advertisement