Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, who's going to work today?

• 07-01-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Still in bed and trying to decide to goto work or not.
    Live in Rathmines and work in Deansgrange, and I'm really not looking forward to 3 hours of poo getting into work only to leave at 3.30 for another 3hour he'll trip to get home.
    Anyone else in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Well for some, I'm in already.

Cabinteely to Cherrywood, N11 is ok, side roads bit dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Roads around Dublin seem in better condition this morning. Only problem I had this morning was on the N2 - passing Glasnevin Cemetery on the way towards the city.

The road goes slightly uphill.... some eejit in a van decided to overtake me in the bus lane and then cut in front of me on this hill, only to have to stop - and then he couldn't move forward again!!! So I was stuck on the hill behind him. EEJIT!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I checked the Dublin Bus website and none of the buses in my area are going anywhere near where I work. It took me almost 2 hours to walk home last night and I was bruised and cut to pieces by the time I got home (fell in the ice about 50 times) so there's no way I'm walking in this morning. I can't get a lift off anyone. So I have absolutely no way to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Been here at work since just after 8am. Fairly easy run in from Goatstown, as was the case yesterday morning. Belmont Avenue in Donnybrook is quite icy but other side roads not too bad in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I could probably make it to work, but am lucky enough to be able to work from home, so staying put.

What puts me off more is the other drivers, rather than the ice. I accept this weather is unusual, but some people think its ok to undertake, overtake, tail gate and drive too fast. Take care out there if you need to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No bus coming near where I live. Closest is about an hour's walk. Just over flu so not going to risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Colm R wrote: »
    What puts me off more is the other drivers, rather than the ice. I accept this weather is unusual, but some people think its ok to undertake, overtake, tail gate and drive too fast. Take care out there if you need to travel.

I agree, icy roads I can handle, idiots that drive recklessly, I have no control over.
    Driving home last night on sheet ice and some retard was about a foot from my back bumper all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Working from home the last couple of weeks so I ain't affected, thankfully the missus works near by so it's only takes me 5 minutes to drop her off before going to get some coffee! Delayed this morning getting across the Dart line though due to some fault as Sydney Parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I live around the citywest area and work in town. There were no buses this morning so I had to walk to the Square (about 40 mins) then pick up the luas.

Hopefully the luas is running this evening or :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭hblock21

Well you can be sure most of the country's teachers aren't at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

i live in clondalkin and work in rathmines, normally get 151 to dolphins barn but no buses running tru clondalkin this mrn at all, red cow and walkinstown both 2 far for me to walk to and paths are leathal anyway so would take me hours, had to ring in to work and say id no way in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

in work bright and early

live in greystones work in dun laoghaire

greystones is so bad this morning i was so scared and fell a billion times... but i left early to make sure id be in on time...makes me so angry that people who live in the exact same area still arnt in work.. dossers

not going home tonight though think i'll be staying in a hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone on the M50 heading towards Sandyford/Leopardstown this morning? What was the traffic like?

I can work from home so decided to take advantage-I'd imagine traffic could be a bit lighter today, but I decided I didn't want to take the chance of a 3 hour journey again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

thank god the trains are unaffected

got the the nothern comuter line into town and was on time for work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

sharms wrote: »
    in work bright and early

greystones is so bad this morning i was so scared and fell a billion times... but i left early to make sure id be in on time...makes me so angry that people who live in the exact same area still arnt in work.. dossers

YOu think someone who doesn't want to spend the night in a hotel for work is a dosser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Dodge wrote: »
    YOu think someone who doesn't want to spend the night in a hotel for work is a dosser?

I was just about to say something like that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone on the M50 heading towards Sandyford/Leopardstown this morning? What was the traffic like?

I can work from home so decided to take advantage-I'd imagine traffic could be a bit lighter today, but I decided I didn't want to take the chance of a 3 hour journey again.

just came in on the m50 from greystones... its fine and very light traffic.... i was very surprised....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭portach king

Just made it in to Thomas Street from Firhouse, where there were NO SERVICES even though the websites said there would be as of 8:00am. It's been updated now....
    Had to walk to the Luas in Tallaght which took nearly an hour on the footpaths, they were liking walking across an airport moving walkway going in the wrong direction. Will have to face the same walk home later today but I can't imagine how bad they will get over the next 12-36 hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Live in Drumcondra, work in Merrion Square - I drive. It took me less time coming in today that it normally does - this is even taken into consideration that kids are off school!

Roads are grand! Paths are terrible!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,934 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I tried.

I failed.

ABS on the van has gone due to the cold (suspect a disk has frozen), was getting locking wheels and no grip on roads/road conditions my passenger car can handle perfectly well. If its like this on treated roads here, I wasn't going to trust it going to Limerick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I couldn't get home last night, so no chance in getting to work. I had to book into a hotel last night, an expense I didn't need :(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

sharms wrote: »
    in work bright and early

Martyr ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thankfully I can work from home and that's the option I took.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Trains from commuter land were running fine. Walked from O'Connell Bridge to Kildare St (via Pearse St Station to help Mrs Kingdom) and it was awful. Not pleasant at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

hblock21 wrote: »
    Well you can be sure most of the country's teachers aren't at work.

And the reason for that is :rolleyes: - frozen and burst pipes, no school busses running to get the kids to school etc...I doubt for most teachers its out of choice!

I got into work early, came in the N2, quiet bad south of M50 around Glasnevin and then again in the city centre (O Connell St, Parnell St area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Still in bed and trying to decide to goto work or not.
    Live in Rathmines and work in Deansgrange, and I'm really not looking forward to 3 hours of poo getting into work only to leave at 3.30 for another 3hour he'll trip to get home.
    Anyone else in the same situation?

Seriously, if I were your boss and reading this, I'd fire you right away. You're not even making the effort. You say (later) that can handle the ice but not other drivers. Instead of being still in bed, why didn't you get up a little earlier and set out in good enough time.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

Not in today....can get the train / dart in to work but its the fact that no paths are gritted where I live or where I work that is making it hard to get to work.

I live about 30 mins walk from my train station normally drive but too nervous and walking on the paths is impossible same when I get to my destination. Taxi will not pick up where I live ........... way to icy.....

Just want it all to melt so we can all get back to normal. They are saying this will last another week - I can't take a week off work so don't know what I'm going to do:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Live in Offaly, work in Glasnevin. Did it in 2hrs (normally 1hr 15). Roads were grand until got to N4 Lucan.

Skidded on the M50 & then the N3 was a nightmare, very slippy & people getting a bit stuck. Stayed patient, as did others, & made it through.

I was about 5 mins late but I think I'll get away with it under the circumstances :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

musicfan wrote: »
    Not in today....can get the train / dart in to work but its the fact that no paths are gritted where I live or where I work that is making it hard to get to work.

I live about 30 mins walk from my train station normally drive but too nervous and walking on the paths is impossible same when I get to my destination. Taxi will not pick up where I live ........... way to icy.....

Just want it all to melt so we can all get back to normal. They are saying this will last another week - I can't take a week off work so don't know what I'm going to do:(

Get some more appropriate footwear that is suited to these conditions.
    It might not be perfect but it'll help.
    Honestly.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

musicfan wrote: »

Carry a bag of sand and sprinkle it before you as you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭xcarriex

Took 45 mins from tallaght to ballymount this morning, boss was just glad i got in, i know its dodgy etc but its just about taking your time leaving in good enough time, and remembering if your in traffic, so is everyone else, and not everyone is confident at driving in them conditions, i think thats what had me gone mad,!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Have to travel from Nth. County Dub to Clonskeagh, took 4 hours to get home last night and near on 3 to get in this morning. Funny that half the staff didn't make it in here today who live closer!

deman wrote: »
    Seriously, if I were your boss and reading this, I'd fire you right away. You're not even making the effort.

Jeeze, that's a bit harsh - firing me for just asking if i should make the perilous trip to work when all the news agencies are saying the road conditions are dangerous, and to only make the trip if you absolutely must.

In the end i did go in, did nothing for a couple of hours seeing as how only about 10% of the workforce turned up, and was sent home at 2pm, so yeah, wish now i'd stayed in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Jeeze, that's a bit harsh - firing me for just asking if i should make the perilous trip to work when all the news agencies are saying the road conditions are dangerous, and to only make the trip if you absolutely must.

In the end i did go in, did nothing for a couple of hours seeing as how only about 10% of the workforce turned up, and was sent home at 2pm, so yeah, wish now i'd stayed in bed.

Give yerself a pat on the back :)

Glad to see you did it.

deman wrote: »
    Give yerself a pat on the back :)

Glad to see you did it.

Thanks, i now feel morally superior to all those lazy buggers who moaned about the icy roads and stayed in bed...... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

I didnt go to work today to be honest with you I just could not be arsed. I could make up a lie and say I have the flu, but Im not. I just rolled over this morning and had a big dirty lie on. At least im Honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭rameire

didnt go into work and probably will not go in tomorrow.
    live in Athy work in Leopardstown.
    usually drive a motorbike.
    Roads down this way are mental and expecting it to be colder than last night.
    will have to make arrangements for next week though to stay up in Dublin.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tartopher

I'm a teacher and it's certainly not because I enjoy being trapped at home that I haven't made it in. I live in the city centre and the buses to my school have been cancelled (about 10 kms away) and I have no other way of getting there...except maybe a taxi but that's an expense I can't afford

Tartopher wrote: »
    I'm a teacher and it's certainly not because I enjoy being trapped at home that I haven't made it in. I live in the city centre and the buses to my school have been cancelled (about 10 kms away) and I have no other way of getting there...except maybe a taxi but that's an expense I can't afford

bike?
    walk?
    train part of the way?
    bus part of the way?
    carpool with other teachers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm actually finding my commute is not the problem I thought it might be.

Bus to Heuston & Luas to Busaras/Connolly is working extremely well.

Bus ticket holders should note Luas is accepting DB tickets at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Northern train line is fine. It's the footpaths that are a nightmare. Westland Row footpath was gritted this morning. I walked up the bus lane around Merrion Square this morning as it was clear and bereft of buses. It was much safer than the paths.

bike?
    walk?
    train part of the way?
    bus part of the way?
    carpool with other teachers?

Walk? Bike? 10ks? In this weather? On the ice? I'd rather not die on the way to work. I've already banjaxed my knee on the footpaths
    I only started at this school recently so I don't have any teacher's numbers anyway I'm the only one in the city centre so no car pool. Fancy giving me a lift? :)

Tartopher wrote: »
    Walk? Bike? 10ks? In this weather? On the ice? I'd rather not die on the way to work. I've already banjaxed my knee on the footpaths
    I only started at this school recently so I don't have any teacher's numbers anyway I'm the only one in the city centre so no car pool. Fancy giving me a lift? :)

cycling take 40 mins.
    I cycled today, was grand 2.5k in 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My boss won't let us work from home despite our jobs could be done sitting at a PC straight from home.
    So we have to journey out in the weather at all times(shift rota), hence everyone has been late all week getting in and getting home. Of course, its a different story for managers, they're allowed to work from home at will.

Then I'll have to buy a bike!

Advertisement