Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about Skilled Migration Visa

Options
  • 07-01-2010 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,
    We are thinking of upping the family, mum/dad and two toddlers, and moving out to Australia on my wife's engineering degree and we had a few questions....

i) would you advise using an agency to help with obtaining the visa or is it possible to get it ourselves?

ii)Whats the average cost of get an agency involved?

iii) Do you have any recommendations of good agencies?

iv) Whats the average time to obtain a skilled visa?

I know that's a lot of questions but we're unsure of the best road to go down and the time frame involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

If you do your research it is possible to do it yourself. Unless your wife is on the critical skills List then you will be waiting until at least 2012 for a visa due to changes that were brought in last september, with or without an agent. It would probably be better for you to use an agent because of the fact that you have kids but it is still possible to do it yourself. For more info have a look at this website www.britishexpats.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Does your wife have recent experience to go with the qualification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 chubbyjoe

Yeah, shes got 12 years experience, we've looked at the critical list and her role is on it.
    the problem we have is deciding do we put the effort in ourselves or do we take the hit and hire an agency to do it for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Might be worth your while making an appointment with a migration agent for more advice. You won't be obliged to use them for your application but they will point you in the right direction. It can be a difficult process unless you know exactly what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goonbob

Hi OP,

My Skilled Visa was granted on 22nd Dec so I should be some use to you on this. In response to your questions.

i) I went through an agency and have no real complaints. Can be a bit frustrating at times as the main person you speak to is unskilled and basically just answers the phone while the skilled person works in the background and you'll probably never speak to them. Having looked at the the DIAC form online I'd recommend using an agent. I used Visafirst and on the information they give, it basically says that they have the expertise to tell you if you will be successful after the initial large payment. Basically this will save you paying for 100% of the visa only to find out you'll be rejected over something stupid (you'll only pay around 30%).

ii) The costs for me were: $5500 (for the visa) + $500 (for the agency) = AUS$6000 as a single adult. Although I think the Visa fee has gone up since I did it. Obviously youself and the kids will be extra. I have a feeling $1000 per person but not sure.

iii) No complains with Visafirst. They're based in Kilkenny so not a million miles away. The have a feature on their website where you upload your phone number and they call you. They will pester you with weekly phone calls and emails until you make a decision though.

iv) My skill was on the CSL aswell and took about 7/8 months from beginning to end. First your wifes skills (degree & experience) will have to assessed to make sure they're up to standard. This is done by the relevant professional body (such as the Institute of Engineers or whoever for her). Once these are approved the final payments are made, the application is submitted to the DIAC and its just a waiting game. My first paperwork went in around 6th June and granted in December.

Now I just hope I can find a job when i'm out there. If i can be any further help just let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Khan77

Goonbob,
    thanks for the info. I am seriously considering migration as an independent skilled migrant. Like youself I am on the CSL. Once you are granted the Visa do you have a set time limit to travel to Australia like the WHV? I intended to go out over a year ago with the WHV but got caught with my house and not being able to sell or rent and passed 31. However, I spent 6 weeks out last autumn and really enjoyed it. In terms of looking for jobs, have you already been in contact with anyone? I am a mechanical engineer and the big demand in Oz seems to be civil engineering or the mining/oil/gas industry. I have been working in aerospace for the past few years and manufacturing type engineering jobs just don't seem to be about over there, I suppose Oz doesn't really have a big manufacturing industry, more primary industries

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

HI op,

I'm currently finalising my 175 visa. I would recommend doing it yourself and skip an agency. I assume your Irish and therefore the cost will only be $2525aus as you dont have to pay second istallment. see here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/professionals-outside-australia.htm

Also you'll still have to fill out all forms and collect all relevant paperwork. If you are confident you are on the CSL list and you are competent in filling out paper work and uploading documents I dont see why you shouldnt do it yourself.

Any questions pm me or reply and I'll try and help. I also had to get my qualifications passed by engineers Australia as a civil engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Does anyone have an up to date CSL/MODL list?The only one I can find is May 08.
    Is there any truth in that, they are not processing any migrant visas at present. Only processing state sponsered visas.
    Not processing CSL or MODL ?

March 09 csl:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

They are processing applications on the CSL list. Anyone not on the CSL list is not being processed until 2012 as far as I know

First of you will have to a skills assessment usually costs $300 and as long as your wife receives a positive assessment in a CSL occupation you should be laughing (NOTE: sometimes people apply for a CSL occupation but are granted a positive assessment in different Non-CSL occupation )

As for the visa itself...it is easy to DIY online for $2525, An agency will only ask you for the same information as DIAC does ... ie.. Birth Certs for everyone, Letters from employers, payslips and all the other paperwork. If DIAC require any further information they usually contact you and ask for it.

Check this out http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

• Advertisement

Thanks all for your replies.

to be honest we never realised the fees were up on the Australian government's website. Over the last few days we've been onto a number of agencies and they never told us there was a set fee for the visa. At least we know that now.

due to the fact we have two children and commitments to continue while we try to get the visa it looks like we will use an agency, as long as their fee is good.

Thanks again for your help

Thanks again for the replies.
    We were looking at the aus.gov website with the possibility of doing it ourselves since a lot seem to have gone down that route.

One point that keeps coming up is the submission of certified documents.

If the site asks for a certified copy of a birthcert, how do you get it certified?
    Do I get the Garda to sign it?

Thanks again

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

chubbyjoe wrote: »
    If the site asks for a certified copy of a birthcert, how do you get it certified?
    Do I get the Garda to sign it?

Thanks again

Joe

If you are in a small town or rural and the Gardai are familiar with you (in a good way) they should do it no problem.
    In the city it is a different story, they have a fear of paperwork of any kind.
    I got all my stuff done through my wife's work, a law firm, for free.
    A solicitor might charge up to €20 for each document. Do you know any personally or through family/friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 claire*

hey just wondering if ye can help me out. my boyfriend and me are going to Australia in March. Im on a 1st whv and he's on a 2nd whv. planning on stayin 2-3 years. so looking at the skilled migrant visa (175) as my occupation is on the critical short list. dont really want to go down the sponsership route as we'l be tied to one place.

Question is when you apply for the skilled migrant visa, do you get a bridging visa until a decision is made or are you still able to travel until your original visa is up? we'v booked tickets for the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand in September so just wondering if we apply for the skilled migrant visa before or after that?

Thanks in advance

claire* wrote: »
    hey just wondering if ye can help me out. my boyfriend and me are going to Australia in March. Im on a 1st whv and he's on a 2nd whv. planning on stayin 2-3 years. so looking at the skilled migrant visa (175) as my occupation is on the critical short list. dont really want to go down the sponsership route as we'l be tied to one place.

Question is when you apply for the skilled migrant visa, do you get a bridging visa until a decision is made or are you still able to travel until your original visa is up? we'v booked tickets for the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand in September so just wondering if we apply for the skilled migrant visa before or after that?

Thanks in advance

The critical shortage list (CSL) is dead and buried about 9 months ago, and you won't get a bridging visa for a skilled migration visa. How ever you can travel in and out on you WHV as ling as it's still valid.

It's been a while since I did all my documents but I think if you scan in original documents you don't need to get them certified. I think only copies of originals needed to be certified.

I'm open to contradiction though but I think I scanned all my documents in colour and didn't need to get them certified. Any I did get certified I got my friend who is a doctor to do it

Advertisement