Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SERP changing per hour

• 07-01-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has encountered the following while working on SEO. I am at the early stages of optimising an Irish site selling exercise equipment. I have done some work around the keyword 'Treadmills' and it's variants etc among others. Twice in the last week around 7am, I have checked Google's ranking for this client site. We held 2nd for 'Treadmills' and 1st for 'Treadmills for sale' 2nd for @Treadmill advice'. However when I check now (later in the day) we drop back several pages??? I have screen shot to prove. Any suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Freshie wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has encountered the following while working on SEO. I am at the early stages of optimising an Irish site selling exercise equipment. I have done some work around the keyword 'Treadmills' and it's variants etc among others. Twice in the last week around 7am, I have checked Google's ranking for this client site. We held 2nd for 'Treadmills' and 1st for 'Treadmills for sale' 2nd for @Treadmill advice'. However when I check now (later in the day) we drop back several pages??? I have screen shot to prove. Any suggestions?

Have you disabled personalised search (search history)? Google are now serving personalised results to non-logged-in users also. Best way to avoid this is to disable search history and search while while logged in.

Google also displays different results by time of day sometimes, although I wouldn't assume this is the case for you. Could be many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Freshie

RedCardinal -Thanks for that, have cleared Google search history. Although if I was using the same PC, I would expect the history to contribute to the same search result - rather than the high fluctuations. I will do an early morning check again to compare like with like having disabled the history - It may at least give a more stable position.

You mention that you have noticed results based on the time of day - can you tell me any more about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Hi Guys

Hi Freshie,
    is this a new site as often if a site is new it will "rise and fall" quite a lot initially. Also I am seeing a LOT of unusual movement at the moment on Google for a variety of terms I monitor. However only started noting these late yesterday so may or may not be connected with what you are experiencing.

D.W wrote: »
    Hi Freshie,
    is this a new site as often if a site is new it will "rise and fall" quite a lot initially. Also I am seeing a LOT of unusual movement at the moment on Google for a variety of terms I monitor. However only started noting these late yesterday so may or may not be connected with what you are experiencing.
    Thanks DW
    The domain is 2 years old but it had no rankings at all until I started work on it in Nov. I would have expected early fluctuations but not to this degree 1st/2nd down to 50th+ within the space of hours then back up again - It's a little puzzling.

Thanks DW
    The domain is 2 years old but it had no rankings at all until I started work on it in Nov. I would have expected early fluctuations but not to this degree 1st/2nd down to 50th+ within the space of hours then back up again - It's a little puzzling.
    Have you tried looking in different Google DCs? The fact that it is visible at times 1st, 2nd etc.. I would take as a positive sign. Again I reckon there are major moves taking place right now on Google. I appreciate exactly how frustrating it is to see your site in a nice position one minute and gone the next and then back in. Not much however you can do to be fair except keep going and hope when things stabilise you are back towards the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Have you disabled personalised search (search history)? Google are now serving personalised results to non-logged-in users also. Best way to avoid this is to disable search history and search while while logged in.

Google also displays different results by time of day sometimes, although I wouldn't assume this is the case for you. Could be many things.

Completely agree RedCardinal - but aren't the Personalised Search Results rather static? From what I've seen, the results are almost predictable (e.g. always seeing wikipedia number 1) - it seems only a few positions are affected whilst all the rest are "organically" determined - or would you have seen something else?

Freshie,
    have things stabalised for you? I see a lot of serps have reverted back to where they were as of late yesterday/today.

D.W wrote: »
    Freshie,
    have things stabalised for you? I see a lot of serps have reverted back to where they were as of late yesterday/today.
    Hi D.W
    Just did a quick check and yes they have stabilised. Must be Caffeine.
    Thanks

Hi D.W
    Just did a quick check and yes they have stabilised. Must be Caffeine.
    Thanks
    Caffeine has not been rolled out yet bar on one test DC so its not that.

Advertisement