Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight and body type for horse riding

Options
  • 07-01-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I would love to get into something like cross country horse riding, currently overweight but thankfully not obese. Starting a weight loss and fitness plan and was wondering seen as though I am over 6foot, what weight should I be so as to be able to ride with hurting the horse. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Once you're riding a horse that is suitable to carry your weight you should be fine. If you look at showing classes you'll see that they are generally divided into weight categories: lightweight (up to 12 stone); middleweight (normally 12-14 stone) and heavyweight (14 stone+). A draught-type horse that's 16hh+ would probably carry you fine; a 16hh TB probably wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

+1 on what convert says
    An awful lot of riding cross- country also depends on your ability to ride Light.(to keep your weight directly off the horses back by riding in a light seat) Do a youtube search of Mark Todd or William Fox-Pitt neither of which are small men though they not heavy men and see how they stay light even in the last few strides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

What weight are you? A lot of Riding Schools have weight limits and for good reason. It would be very hard on any horse, no matter how much of a weight carrier, to carry a very tall, heavy beginner for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thegoodoutdoors

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

To answer your question, when I am finished the plan and will take the first steps into it, I will be 12 stone.

Also, do many other lads try horse riding?

12 stone is grand, not heavy at all. That's the weight that horses carry in point-to-points.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

To answer your question, when I am finished the plan and will take the first steps into it, I will be 12 stone.

Also, do many other lads try horse riding?

I took up horse riding last august, mainly as my girlfriend is pretty awesome at it and shw wanted to share. I now love it. That said i'm the only guy in my lesson and i think there's only one other in the beginner lesson before my one. Don't let that put you off though, i also found that if i paid for lessons in advance it made me follow up on going to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hi,

I would love to get into something like cross country horse riding, currently overweight but thankfully not obese. Starting a weight loss and fitness plan and was wondering seen as though I am over 6foot, what weight should I be so as to be able to ride with hurting the horse. Thanks

Sorry I don't mean to seem harsh but how to you think fully grown men with bellies the size of barrels head out riding?! If your only starting off the riding school will put you on a horse suitable for your height which is usually more of an issue than weight as you will have longer legs, still not a big issue at that btw!

LOADS of lads ride, I follow around the SJAI league for work and there are more men than women atm! It's a great hobby and never too late (or too heavy ;)) to start! :D
    convert wrote: »
    Once you're riding a horse that is suitable to carry your weight you should be fine. If you look at showing classes you'll see that they are generally divided into weight categories: lightweight (up to 12 stone); middleweight (normally 12-14 stone) and heavyweight (14 stone+). A draught-type horse that's 16hh+ would probably carry you fine; a 16hh TB probably wouldn't.

I know these are the guidelines but in fairness what a load of pants! I've been showing for years and there is no way these 'weights' are actually inforced, not in Ireland anyway. They are alot stricter in the UK.

I'm sorry I don't know the OPs weight (and I'm not asking) but a 16hh TB is well capable of holding someone 14 stone!
    napoles wrote: »
    A lot of Riding Schools have weight limits and for good reason.

I have NEVER heard of this in all the years I am at it and all the schools I've worked, ridden and taken lessons in.

Jemmy wrote: »
    I know these are the guidelines but in fairness what a load of pants! I've been showing for years and there is no way these 'weights' are actually inforced, not in Ireland anyway. They are alot stricter in the UK.

Are you referring to the fact that middleweight horses are frequently competing in lightweight classes and being given prizes? Or are you referring to the people who show them? Or both?
    I'm sorry I don't know the OPs weight (and I'm not asking) but a 16hh TB is well capable of holding someone 14 stone!

It depends both on the horse and the type of work that horse will be doing, not to mention the rider's balance.

For example, I've unfortunately come across a few showing classes where I've had a very heavy judge, more suited to judging heavyweight classes, judging and riding lightweight horses. My horse, a 16hh TB point-to-pointer entered in a lightweight class to suit his build, was not able to carry her. His back dipped when she flopped into the saddle, he couldn't stride out and actually 'waddled' under her weight, she was just far too heavy for him. He's a lightweight hunter, well able to carry 13 stone all day hunting, and carried 12 stone without a bother when racing, but he wouldn't carry someone who was 14 stone for very long. Yes, he could hold them for a bit, but wouldn't be capable of doing much exercise with them. Maybe some 16hh TBs would, but not all.

Are you referring to the fact that middleweight horses are frequently competing in lightweight classes and being given prizes? Or are you referring to the people who show them? Or both?

Both, the guidelines for the horse and the rider weight to suit is never actually inforced. I have seen both that according to the guidelines should never have been in the class in the first place and they came out with a rossette, which is fair enough but I don't agree with the 'weight' for the rider. I'm not a light girl and I'm not heavy either but according to the guidelines I should not ride in the lightweight?! Thats a load of crap, my mare is technically in the lightweight category but my weight isn't, now she has no problem carrying me hunting showjumping or cross country, so does that mean I shouldn't be allowed in the class? This is leading off topic and I don't mean to take it off.
    For example, I've unfortunately come across a few showing classes where I've had a very heavy judge, more suited to judging heavyweight classes, judging and riding lightweight horses. My horse, a 16hh TB point-to-pointer entered in a lightweight class to suit his build, was not able to carry her. His back dipped when she flopped into the saddle, he couldn't stride out and actually 'waddled' under her weight, she was just far too heavy for him. He's a lightweight hunter, well able to carry 13 stone all day hunting, and carried 12 stone without a bother when racing, but he wouldn't carry someone who was 14 stone for very long. Yes, he could hold them for a bit, but wouldn't be capable of doing much exercise with them. Maybe some 16hh TBs would, but not all.

I agree yes some TB could and some couldn't I didn't mean all could but to tell a beginner all this technical stuff is unneccessary imo that was my point very badly put across i know! :o Individual owners have their horses fit for what they require but if the OP is starting off in a riding school they won't be throwing him up on something not suited for his height/weight or his abilities. It's not something he has to worry about starting off, when and if he wants to get a horse of his own then it becomes an issue. Even by then he should have a good idea.

His question was am I too heavy/tall to get on a horse and learn, and I just felt this info was misleading, that's all. :)

And the flopping, UGH that's all I'll say! Judges that havent riden in 10yrs except for the odd class at a show, it's ridiculous again could very easily go off topic with that one too, whole other discussion! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

At my old yard there used to be this man who was very tall (about the same height as you OP) and had some weight issues.
    He got on fine with his two 19HH clydes!! Haha, it was a powerful match!
    Isn't it that a horse can carry 20% of it's own weight? Including saddle and rider?
    I though it was, my saddle is very heavy (don't really like it, although the padding is to die for! I often find other people using it because it's so comfy! haha) and my mare is an arab, I weight 8 and a half stone (on a good day).
    But this same mare has carted my uncle around who is 6foot 2 ... although I wouldn;t reccommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

dont let anyone put you off riding because of weight or height, any decent yard will match you to a suitable horse !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

OP I know this is an old thread but the tv is dull and I was browsing though old subjects when I came across I thought I must first commend you. You're the first person I've come across that wanted to loose weight so they could ride instead of trying to loose weight as they ride.

I cannot count the amount of times I've had to cringe in a riding school when I see a fine chunk of a horse struggling to trot with some people who could easily weight up to 18-20 stone. Some schools will never turn money away and will try and keep the person as happy as possible. However I don't see how they can be having fun when I see the frustration on their faces from being unable to balance while trying to learn to trot when their entire body mass is dangerously tipping to either side and how many a small stumble by a horse has seen them crash to the ground. It's painful.

I myself am not a waif of a girl I waver between 11-12st. However I do think horse riding is not just a hobby. It is a sport. Just like football basketball etc it requires (and in my opinion) the horses derserve more dedication from us than we simply ride around.
    I try and excercise and build up my muscles and stamina so that when I go out show jumping or to a 3 day event as a groom where I must run horses up and down to the rings, groom to perfection, put in studs, warm them up, bring the next horse take the last away quickly to be washed and settled. It's not fair to expect perfection of them and then not have the energy at the end of the long day to wash them down rub them off, clean their stall and their tack so that everything I can do to make them comfortable has been done. I used to die after properly grooming my horse, then riding competing rubbing down and going home to muck out take out plaits groom again feed water etc etc.

Horse riding and competing in perticular is done correctly requires alot of energy. I used to be one of the selfish lazy kids that sat arround on my sweaty pony for an hour or so after it was finished it classes to chat with my friends and didnt even think about how uncomfortable my horse was. Then I met a woman who changed my mind about everything for the first month I worked for her I thought I was dying but now I love putting in the effort.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is, if you do manage to drop the weight and get into horses, you'll certainly love it. However if you're only riding once a week then I advise keeping up an alternative exercise rountine. If you want to buy your own horse and get into cross country you will need plenty of stamina. Good luck!

(There's also the bonus of the natural high you get from having loads of energy when you're fit. It's well worth the effort!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

lordgoat wrote: »
    I took up horse riding last august, mainly as my girlfriend is pretty awesome at it and shw wanted to share. I now love it. That said i'm the only guy in my lesson and i think there's only one other in the beginner lesson before my one. Don't let that put you off though, i also found that if i paid for lessons in advance it made me follow up on going to them!

Kinda the same reason i took it up - only i want to keep up to my 7y/o daughter!! Was into horses years ago with my sister but i got into motorbikes and the interest weaned. My 2 kids took it up about 2 years ago and it sparked the flame again!!! Am hooked all over again.

To the O/P - I'm 14 stone and have no problems riding / hunting.

Hi folks,

Back on again for a look. Started into the exercise plan at the start of february and have lost a stone since so am very happy :)

Also, looking forward to starting riding with a but...I go to a college that has an equestrian club but am unsure about joining them or going on my own. Financially, I wouldn't mind getting my own lessons as I could offset the price by giving up the booze...So, here is the question for all you experienced riders (especially the females) - how would you feel about someone starting riding in your group on his own who was a complete novice? I won't lie, it isn't the main reason that I would like to start horse riding but I think it would be a cool way to meet new ladies...

To hobbidance: Thanks for the informative and supportive post. You seem to have a very admirable understanding and connection with your horses - pretty cool in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Hi folks,

Also, looking forward to starting riding with a but...I go to a college that has an equestrian club but am unsure about joining them or going on my own. Financially, I wouldn't mind getting my own lessons as I could offset the price by giving up the booze...So, here is the question for all you experienced riders (especially the females) - how would you feel about someone starting riding in your group on his own who was a complete novice? I won't lie, it isn't the main reason that I would like to start horse riding but I think it would be a cool way to meet new ladies...

I'm an ex-captain of a university equestrian club, so I'm probably a bit biased :p. But in my experience, you should definitely join the club. Don't worry about being a novice, riders of similar standards will be grouped together for lessons. The pluses are that you get to meet new people in your college that you probably wouldn't know otherwise, your lesson prices will probably be subsidised by the college, an extra social outlet and the best bit, the intervarsities! Even if you don't make the team (although there is a competition called prix caprilli for less experienced riders) you should definitely go along for the craic. I had so much fun, I was still going two years after graduating :o And there was lots of inter-college relations, shall we say!

They should be on around now though, they're usually about the last week in Feb, but don't let that stop you signing up for lessons anyway.

shanagarry wrote: »
    I'm an ex-captain of a university equestrian club, so I'm probably a bit biased :p. But in my experience, you should definitely join the club. Don't worry about being a novice, riders of similar standards will be grouped together for lessons. The pluses are that you get to meet new people in your college that you probably wouldn't know otherwise, your lesson prices will probably be subsidised by the college, an extra social outlet and the best bit, the intervarsities! Even if you don't make the team (although there is a competition called prix caprilli for less experienced riders) you should definitely go along for the craic. I had so much fun, I was still going two years after graduating :o And there was lots of inter-college relations, shall we say!

They should be on around now though, they're usually about the last week in Feb, but don't let that stop you signing up for lessons anyway.
    Hey, thanks...will definitely contact them over the summer about it...lookin forward to it all now. Have been chatting to some really "horse crazy" people. Seems to be the most exhilirating sport out there! Can't understand how it isn't more popular with lads

It is - lots of lads do it overall, however in college clubs there is most definitely a female bias (not a bad thing!).

I've dealt with a couple of college clubs (Trinity and a UK one) and both seemed great for beginners, it really depends on which stables they go to. Lessons are subbed by college and you only ride with people of your ability so there is no reason not to sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

tbh, i dont think weight has an effect on ANY horse you;d care to sit up on.
    been riding for years, since i was 3, 17 now, but my dad broke a TB 4 years ago, and he is at leats 16 stone. granted he only sat up on him once or twice, and i took over then, but still the horse got him off, bucking like a mad yoke. so id say anyone that says your too heavy for a horse hasnt a bulls notion what theyr on about.

I too have been showing for years and I think you are missing the point. The weights are not "enforced" as such - they are guidelines for the hunter stamps. I.e. the stamp of a lightweight as opposed to a heavyweight hunter. I have shown in the UK also and the same applies. There is no one going around weighing the exhibiters! :D
    I have NEVER heard of this in all the years I am at it and all the schools I've worked, ridden and taken lessons in.

Well I guess it depends on where you go. As a BHSAI I have freelanced at a number of well known centres in the UK and they all had weight restrictions. With I believe good reason. I certainly wouldn't want to see an 18 stone beginner flopping around on my horse, no matter how much bone the horse had!!
    OP, you are certainly not overweight to be riding. Apologies if my original post seemed harsh, but I got the impression you were much heavier!!
    As another poster on here has said - good for you to be taking the step to lose weight before embarking on learning horseriding instead of thinking it can be used as a weight loss tool! :) DRives me mad when I hear of people doing that.

s-cogan wrote: »
    so id say anyone that says your too heavy for a horse hasnt a bulls notion what theyr on about.

Oh come on!! I know of a horse whose back was ruined because of an overwight rider. Just because a horse can manage to get someone off doesn't mean that it is capable of carrying a heavy rider comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The bucking off may be because of pain issues related to the excess weight even.

IThere is no one going around weighing the exhibiters! :D

Really?! :rolleyes:
    Well I guess it depends on where you go. As a BHSAI I have freelanced at a number of well known centres in the UK and they all had weight restrictions. With I believe good reason. I certainly wouldn't want to see an 18 stone beginner flopping around on my horse, no matter how much bone the horse had!!

Well as a BHSAI you know best!

Obviously your not going to want to see someone a good bit heavier than yourself 'flopping around' on your horse when you have it going well. Every riding school if it is half decent and offering lessons to the public will have variety of horses and a horse suitable and will guide the learner accordingly.

The OP is not looking to jump into serious showing, he/she was looking for general advice. Weight restrictions that have been mentioned IMO were unneccessary for a simple learner query. If he/she is too overweight for a horse (not saying you are OP I've no idea of your exact weight) but the riding school he/she goes to will put him/her up and a suitable mount.

On another note, the UK is a whole different kettle of fish as the saying goes. There are alot more restrictions and regulations over that side of the water. Even within IPS the rules are different each side of the water.

Again just my 2cents!

Really?! :rolleyes:

WEll then what exactly did you mean when you said the weights in showing were not enforced??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

Hi folks,

Back on again for a look. Started into the exercise plan at the start of february and have lost a stone since so am very happy :)

First of all congrats on the weightloss! Looks like you're doing good!

If you're looking for some excercises that will help you build up muscles for riding the best ones would be squats (done properlythough. feet straight, don't let your knee go over you're toes and keep your back as straight as possible.) they're great for when you start to trot as the muscles and balanced needed will be of benefit. The other best excercise I've found is skating/rollerblading. It's the best excercise in my opinion for riders, it gives you great core balance and works all of the leg muscles aswell. Plus ice skating is the same thing so you can have good fun in winter when it rolls round :)

It can be a bit intimidating to join a group of people who are already riding so maybe go for a lesson or two in a small group if you can. Then join the bigger lessons. Horsey people are generally a friendly, fun bunch. So I wouldn't imagine any problems with you joining the club in fact if you can have a laugh then you'll be welcomed happily.

I'm not to sure about the kind of work your club does whether it's just riding or general horse care but if you really think you might have problems fitiing in all you have to do is offer help if they need it. You have no idea how quickly you can be welcomed by people if they realise you dont mind dumping a wheel barrow or two or helping out with the messy stuff. :)

Good Luck!

Advertisement