Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship Question?

• 07-01-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey all dunno if this is the right place to ask (sorry mods if it isn't) I was just wondering about my apprenticeship.I have phase 6 completed (since June)and the crowd I work for have work overseas at the moment unfortunately I can't go (family reasons) they say that's the only place they have work.I'm thinking of not going back to them and looking for work elsewhere.I know times are tough and I mightn't get taken on.If I didn't get electrical work until my qualified date which is June does this put my apprenticeship in jeopardy as in I'm not qualified since i haven't put in the time.I ask this because I'm planning on doing a college course in September where usually it's a 3 year course but if you're a qualified electrician you skip first year and go into second if they checked my background and found i was out of work for x amount of months would this go against me?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

FAS are cracking down on the time served element of apprenticeships at the moment however I'd talk to your FAS advisor on this and explain the situation.They can sometimes shorten Phase 7 if you are heading out of the country for work and need your qualifications so maybe they can do it if your heading to further education and you need your cert for it,especially in light of the current jobs situation at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If they have filled out the phase 7 papers you will be fine. You can work for any electrical contractor it doesn't matter once you do the minimum 4 years and complete all the phase 1-7 paperwork.

You local Fas services to business will be able to give you all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Hey I'm just in phase 6 myself,FAS came around and said everybody must complete 208 weeks before been able to qualify and get there national craft certificate.and time missed will be added on.what I'm unclear about is if they mean time you where unregistered for,or just time you missed from work.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

pieface_ie wrote: »
    Hey I'm just in phase 6 myself,FAS came around and said everybody must complete 208 weeks before been able to qualify and get there national craft certificate.and time missed will be added on.what I'm unclear about is if they mean time you where unregistered for,or just time you missed from work.

Hope this helps

They mean time where you said you were working but were actually on the dole.

The new F103a form your given when you enter an off the job phase and which the social welfare have to fill out is what is designed to uncover this.

if that form says you got the dole for 6 months and you hadn't told FAS this then you'll have 6 months added to your time to be served

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

pieface_ie wrote: »

Hope this helps
    It does thanks for your reply rang em up today and they told me I've 190 weeks done with 18 weeks remaining so I'm going to ring work tomorrow to see if I can leave it till February to go back.I know a guy from phase 6 and he hadn't worked in a year before phase 6 had no work after it either he's going to have a big surprise when he's going for his papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 munkydrunk

hi cnt help wit your quesion but can you tell me what course you are talking about and where it is? im a phase 4 apprentice but wish to go on to furthet studies after my apprenticeship. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

munkydrunk wrote: »
    hi cnt help wit your quesion but can you tell me what course you are talking about and where it is? im a phase 4 apprentice but wish to go on to furthet studies after my apprenticeship. Thanks
    Renewable Energy in L.I.T it's apparently very competitive as it depends how many people drop out in first year of the course then its open then to tradespeople for second year so you would want to be aiming for a credit in phase 6 hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Del007

superg wrote: »
    They mean time where you said you were working but were actually on the dole.

The new F103a form your given when you enter an off the job phase and which the social welfare have to fill out is what is designed to uncover this.

if that form says you got the dole for 6 months and you hadn't told FAS this then you'll have 6 months added to your time to be served

What is this F103a form?

If you're an apprentice and lose your job, will fas find out that you're on the dole? If so, how?

Cheers

Advertisement