Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share dividend info

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Dose anyone have a website that they can recommend that helps to get the following information on company shares:

1. The dividends paid
    2. When the dividends are paid in a company.
    3. The date in which you must have ownership of the shares in order to avail of the dividends paid.

I do spend long periods of time trying to find the above information between a series of websites. I know there are websites that give the dividends etc.... I need more than this. The date in which you need to own the shares prior to the dividends been paid is my no.1 interest. I cant find this info anywhere.

Any help on the matter would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Look up the company on yahoo finance and the ex-dividend date is under the key statistics data

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

http://www.dividend.com/

I don't see how you can make money by chasing after ex-div dates.Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 digestive

Not sure if I explaned myself well enough.
    Will try to simulate an example:

lets say Johny wants to buy Glanbia shares. He goes out to buy them this afternoon.(7th January) Dividends are paid twice yearly. 1st payout we'll say is 1st April. The second payment of dividends is say 1st September. Johny is happy with that!

Sean however bought shares in Glanbia on the 28th March ths year. He is not entitled to the 1st dividend payout/ Why? Because the company states that dividends are paid to shareholders that owned the shares since 15th january. Sean looses out on the 1st dividend payout.

Sean may have bought the shares earlier (ie prior to the 15th Jan) if he realised that the 15th was the cut off date for share ownership or he may have simply decided not to buy the share at all.

Dose this make since? Basically I know that companies disclose the dividend payout dates but its important to know how long one has to have the stock in hand before you qualify for this. Am I overlooking something basic here are dose anyone else have a similar understanding? Any advice welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

I think he means that the price flucuations between the ex div date and when the dividend is payed could see you lose more fron your original investment than the dividend would cover. Add to that fees and tax on the dividend and it's hard to see how this could be a profitable investment strategy.

Also there is the risk that the company could simply stop paying dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

digestive wrote: »
    Dose this make since? Basically I know that companies disclose the dividend payout dates but its important to know how long one has to have the stock in hand before you qualify for this. Am I overlooking something basic here are dose anyone else have a similar understanding? Any advice welcomed.

ex dates for companys are usually fairly stable over time, if you know the pay day you will already know the ex date and these are widely disclosed - ex dates are also not set before the declaration date meaning that once a div is confirmed you have the chance to buy/sell the stock before ex date

of course there is uncertainty with regard dates and amounts in dividends from time to time but there is also a very active market in trading uncertainty on dividends - though probably not suitable for the retail investor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

digestive wrote: »
    Basically I know that companies disclose the dividend payout dates but its important to know how long one has to have the stock in hand before you qualify for this. Am I overlooking something basic here are dose anyone else have a similar understanding? Any advice welcomed.

I'll take my favorite dividend stock AGNC as an example.

Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $1.40 per share for the fourth quarter 2009. The dividend is payable on January 26, 2010 to common shareholders of record as of December 31, 2009, with an ex-dividend date of December 29, 2009

That means you must buy shares BEFORE ex-dividend date of December 29 to receive a dividend payment.If you buy on or after ex-dividend date you won't be on the record on December 31. Even if you sell shares after December 31 you would still get dividend.

I hope this is the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 digestive

Yes , that answered my question. thank you very much to everyones comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ED 209

Dividend Yield baby. I just was ranting about it on a post regarding fundamental research before buying shares lol. Google finance is better than Yahoo finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cocojambo

Digestive, the date you must hold a share of stock to be eligible for the dividend payment is called the ex-dividend date. Any shares you buy on or AFTER this date will not make you eligible for the dividend payment, you must buy it BEFORE. Here's a good tool that helps you find best dividend stocks http://www.best-dividend-paying-stocks.com it categorizes dividend stocks by sector such as health or computer hardware, market capitalization, small/medium/large cap and more.

Also check out the September upcoming ex dividend dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

strmin wrote: »
    I'll take my favorite dividend stock AGNC as an example.

Please tell us more.... Have you been in this stock long and I would love to know what your key understandings of this company are.

I had a very quick look at their profile & they seem to have a very complex business model so apologies if i missed some things but by and large my slant on it is that this is something of highly secured cash cow. Am i correct in saying that they are borrowing funds (short term) on the markets to re-invest in 100% US state secured mortgages and basically creaming off the difference. I can see that they are leveraging 8x the capital employed but is all of their investments completely guaranteed???? They basically have 7billion in investments and I am interested in knowing what the chances of this being impaired are, particularly in this day & age.

Also following on from this I note that the asset value per share is $24, again if the investments are 100% guaranteed so there is only a small premium on the actual share price which is $28 and in return for this the yield is ENORMOUS at $5.60 per annum on current earnings (which are consistent enough).

Am i missing something here? this sounds too good to be true, a 20% return with a small capital appreciation to boot, with investments guaranteed by the US state???

• Advertisement
Advertisement