Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Sorento

• 07-01-2010 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have one? What are they like? Are they reliable? What would they be like to pull a trailer? Do they have low gears? what are they like offroad?

Thinking about getting one. They are fairly cheap.

Come on, give me the horror stories :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

don't own one but I know someone who does. pretty comfortable all round, loads of room in the back. The gearbox is sh1te. if you put the foot down to overtake someone it just revs beyond belief and eventually moves a little bit, thats on the auto version but been in a few others (manual and auto) and they're all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they have a huge towing capacity and caravanners in the UK love them. the manual gearbox is horrendous though and I think they improved the auto box lately.

I think they have a low ratio box, seem to remember an electronic knob/switch on the dash for it (as on Hyundai Terracan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its brillliant. I have an auto and they dont have the reported gearbox problems. I tow a big horsebox fully loaded with ease. They're rated to tow 2500kg.

Its been brilliant in the snow. Couldnt recommend it highly enough tbh. I've had no problems at all. ITs thirsty alright but any decent jeep is. I get about 28-30 mpg out of mine.

I did a lot of research before deciding to get a post '06 (hence 5 speed) auto imported from the UK.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I think they have a low ratio box, seem to remember an electronic knob/switch on the dash for it (as on Hyundai Terracan)

yes they do. I've towed boxes out of wet muddy fields no problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

fits wrote: »
    yes they do. I've towed boxes out of wet muddy fields no problem with it.

Thanks Fits,

I've heard that the newer ones have better gear boxes allright. I've never driven an automatic. They are less fuel efficient than the manual box according to the Kia Website.

We were talking about buying a 07 or 08 commercial model. Both myself and herself have cars, but do a lot of mileage for work. Hence we drive small diesel engine cars that aren't much use for pulling trailers or field work on the farm.
    Low mileage sorentos can be picked up all over the place for quite reasonable money eg. a 07 with 30000 miles can be got for around €11k.
    Its just a thought for the time being. I might follow through on it in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

my mate has one for 3 years now , no major problems , but silly electrical stuff and there soft .
    but you get what you pay for .

reilig wrote: »

I've heard that the newer ones have better gear boxes allright. I've never driven an automatic. They are less fuel efficient than the manual box according to the Kia Website.

about 2 mpg of a difference. Its worth it in my opinion. I dont think I'll ever buy a manual car again (unless its some sporty thing.. which is eh.. unlikely :D). The auto box is no bother on the ice either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Have had one now for three years - first a manual (2WD / 4WD Low & 4WD High options) and then an automatic (4WD low & High only).

Personally while I love the automatic, the manual was faster off the mark and there wasn't any time lag with gear changes (doesn't bother me now buut I did notice it for a while). I bought it because it was pretty much the smallest thing that I could find with back seats, boot space that could be covered and still (legally) tow two horses in the trailer.

I was looking at them in garages in 08 and was advised that there was an engine change mid 08 which resulted in increased fuel efficiency. Also need to keep an eye on the road tax situation if you are looking at passenger models - am not sure if the automatic's are still in a band up from the manual models (2k v's 1k per year).

Has been fantastic in the recent snow and have never had a towing problem with it. Am holding out to get the 09 model in the near future when the bank balance looks a bit better!

My auto has 2wd and 4 hi/low

The gear changes dont bother me either. IT just takes a while to get used to when the gears will shift. I'd much prefer it to a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

I recently purchased 07 Sorento GSE and have a question re the alarm.

The key fob I got with it has the 3 buttons on one side to lock, unlock and open boot window. On the other side is a red alarm button.
    If I hold this in for a few seconds the alarm goes off but I don't know how to set the alarm itself.
    Does it set automatically when I lock the car?
    I have tried to set it off by pulling at the handles but doesn't do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

AFAIK the alarm sets when you lock the car.

If you sit in the car and lock the doors, wait a few minutes then open the door from the inside the alarm will go off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

get one with the 5 speed auto/tiptronic box , I had a 2004 one for the guts of 2 years, put 60,000 miles on it and no problems , lovely yoke to sit in especially the full spec ones , can be got dirt cheap in the UK , lovely reliable machines and not too bad on fuel.

Advertisement