Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hear you're a bit of a racist now father.....

• 07-01-2010 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anyone else sick of these PC ****? Here's the latest victim of their moaning -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/07/2787723.htm
    KFC pulls cricket ad amid racism claims

KFC has pulled a controversial TV ad amid claims its depiction of a white Australian cricket fan offering fried chicken to West Indies supporters is racist.

The fast food chain's head office in the US apologised for "any misinterpretation" caused by the ad as furious debate raged in the American media about whether it was racist.

"KFC Australia is removing the television advertisement that was being run in conjunction with the Australian cricket season," the chicken fast food giant announced in a statement.

"We apologise for any misinterpretation of the ad as it was not meant to offend anyone."

The Australian commercial was picked up by the US media, including the New York Daily News and Baltimore Sun and drew heated debate.

Some Americans accused Australians of being racist because it perpetuates a stereotype that African Americans eat a lot of fried chicken.

The ad is one in a series where a cricket lover quietens people around him by giving them KFC to eat so he can enjoy the game.

The New York Daily News staged a poll on its website asking if the ad was offensive.

The vote was almost split, with 51 per cent choosing "No, it's just light-hearted and fun" and 42 per cent selecting "Yes, it plays on stereotypes".

Six per cent voted "I'm not sure".

Readers inundated the newspaper websites with emotional posts.

"This was blatantly racist," one reader commented on the NY Daily News website.

Another wrote: "Yeah, coming from the same people who almost single-handedly wiped out the whole race of aborigines (sic). You people are the worst. I've had friends who visited Australia and they told me how it is over there".

Australians, upset at the American response, bombarded US news websites and blogs to defend the ad and attempt to explain Australian humour.

"Oh dear," an Australian wrote on the Baltimore Sun site.

"Another shining example of how some Americans can be absolutely clueless about anything further away than the tip of their own nose."

The furore began in the US after the ad was posted on YouTube, attracting thousands of comments and sparking members of the public to post their own video responses.

And here's the ad in question -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Anyone else sick of these PC ****?

i believe the term is PC "masturbatingly challenged".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Black people like fried chicken, so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what the f*ck? thats mental.....most people dont actuallly know what racism is and to claim it here, is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thanks for that link Xavi, comedy gold...
    Another wrote: "Yeah, coming from the same people who almost single-handedly wiped out the whole race of aborigines (sic). You people are the worst. I've had friends who visited Australia and they told me how it is over there".

Mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Racism, in that? Jaysis!

There could at least have used Hitler or someone from the KKK as the white dude. Then we could have called it racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can anybody confirm what material the cricket gear of the offending supporters was made of?

I would like to hope they weren't presenting the deplorable racist double-whammy of cotton n' friend chicken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Dang, that look tasty!

Maaaa!.. Where the chicken and cornbread at? I Hungry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

lol, it is a bit close to the bone to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

lol, it is a bit close to the bone to be honest...

Well they can get the Boneless Banquet then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Thanks for that link Xavi, comedy gold...

Mind boggling.

Well the yanks wiped out their Aboriginals too in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Thankfully the Aussies are getting a lesson on how to treat minorities from the US :) The thing is, this isn't a one off ad. There's a whole series of ads of him handing chicken out to people. It perpetuates the stereotype that humans like fried chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well they can get the Boneless Banquet then.

You can't just rob my joke in broad daylight man!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

PC gone mad, if he had of offered watermelon then OK. I bet KFC don't give a monkeys as the numpties who believe this is racist have given KFC more exposure than they could have ever hoped for.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm more offended that they're trying to convince me that many people would go to a cricket game.

Come on - it's cricket! CRICKET!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'm more offended that they're trying to convince me that many people would go to a cricket game.

Come on - it's cricket! CRICKET!

If there was a free Subway, I'd be tempted to go but not for KFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Oh for fuck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If there was a free Subway, I'd be tempted to go but not for KFC.

Subway, tram system, buses whatever. Transport to the game is not the issue. It's just a boring game. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Everyone loves fried chicken, how is that racist. It's not like he was offering them watermelon, he'd have lost a hand then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

NothingMan wrote: »
    Everyone loves fried chicken, how is that racist. It's not like he was offering them watermelon, he'd have lost a hand then.

...would've loved this joke if it was more pc :rolleyes:

seriously though - this victim mentality is way out of hand with all sorts of groups - how that ad can be construed to be racist beats me :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's because they were black. You can't portay any black person/family in any fashion because you will be called racist. At least in the USA anyway. Oversensitive pricks who ever complained about the ad.

Will never beat the burger king chicken ads though :pac:

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's because they were black. You can't portay any black person/family in any fashion because you will be called racist.

If it was an isolated ad, then yes. But it's a whole series of ads. If anything, it's not racist because it includes black people in the series of ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thats crazy! Imagine though if a english or welsh rugby player did an ad in Ireland where he was handing out pints of guinness to a sea of people in green shirts. We'd be mildly proud of ourselves id say. But if he was handing out potatoes.......................... :D

Agricola wrote: »
    Thats crazy! Imagine though if a english or welsh rugby player did an ad in Ireland where he was handing out pints of guinness to a sea of people in green shirts. We'd be mildly proud of ourselves id say. But if he was handing out potatoes.......................... :D

then he'd want to be givin us the pints as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Anyone else sick of these PC ****?

Yes, big time!! It's gone past a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marctravolta

Im aware that in the US, fried chicken is the stereotype food for black people.

But i've never heard of that outside of the US, They could be mad into dairymilks or Brussels sprouts in another intolerant country.

Chicken is delicious. If i stumbled into a clan rally full of hate and bigotry, i would still accept some free fried chicken before i left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

It might well be deemed racist in American culture but as I understand it, the ad runs in Australia and not the US? A tad ironic that the American cry of racism stems from them seeking to impose their own cultural norms and values on another culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Should have handed over a water melon instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

"The ad is one in a series where a cricket lover quietens people around him by giving them KFC to eat so he can enjoy the game."

That sentence alone makes it clear that there is no racism. They have a lot of similar ads featuring people of all ethnicity.

Singling this one ad out for criticism is itself racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Well the yanks wiped out their Aboriginals too in fairness!

Woosh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They'd better ban this ad too (made *for* the West Indies market)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's not racist full stop. Indeed, its promoting altruism and good cheer, sharing the chicken around :D

Some people are just a little bit too sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

KFC is F** expensive.. how much would that bucket cost here? 20 - 40 euro.

s10 wrote: »
    KFC is F** expensive.. how much would that bucket cost here? 20 - 40 euro.

You'll get if for free if you're noisy and black. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Has America got so PC now that they have to look abroad for stuff to be shocked about? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I can see how it would look like someone was trying to get a racist slur in.

Did they have to get the whitest man in Australia?

Is everyone in the West Indies that likes cricket skin colour black?

I dont think its racism but Australians dont do political correctness. They probably knew that someone would get wound up by it and played on it getting them exposure.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I want KFC now.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Dempsey wrote: »
    Did they have to get the whitest man in Australia?

Is everyone in the West Indies that likes cricket skin colour black?

Most people in Australia are of white European descent. Most people in the West Indies, are of African descent or partial African descent. I'm willing to be corrected if I am wrong.
    Dempsey wrote: »
    I dont think its racism but Australians dont do political correctness. They probably knew that someone would get wound up by it and played on it getting them exposure.

All that matters is that it isn't racist surely?

Jakkass wrote: »
    Most people in Australia are of white European descent. Most people in the West Indies, are of African descent or partial African descent. I'm willing to be corrected if I am wrong.

Been to Australia, worked with Australians. They are a mixed race, alot of people dont have snow white skin colour. They do say and do stuff that could seem racist but in their head they are just pulling the piss. e.g. mimicking how a chinese person speaks with a chinese person in the elevator.

They'd call it ethnic stereotyping.

It isnt racist to me or you but I'm assuming that you are white. Ask a black person, see if they are offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

Its a good thing they didnt hear about Australia's coon cheese - search youtube for Stephen K Amos and coon cheese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpirW1Vbz1o&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some Americans accused Australians of being racist because it perpetuates a stereotype that African Americans eat a lot of fried chicken.
    Are these Australian African-Americans then? That's confusing.

sceptre wrote: »

or would it not be perpetuating that alot of black west indians eat fried chicken?

Americans should be told to STFU over this and the ad continue to air as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

they might have had a weak argument that it was racist if it was the other way round with a black guy handing out fried chicken to a load of whites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Society is ****ed. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Will never beat the burger king chicken ads though :pac:

Chicken in the shape of chips. Genius. Gimme.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No surprise - there's even claims that "Avatar" is racist as well to non-white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ixoy wrote: »
    No surprise - there's even claims that "Avatar" is racist as well to non-white people.

The smurfs have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Jakkass wrote: »

This is a very uncomfortable situation. I'm going to have to attempt a sentence configuration that I never imagined I'd ever require.

You are quite correct Jakkass.

That hurt. Don't do it again!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Damn.
    I couldn't agree more Jakkass.

I need a lie down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

sceptre wrote: »

Does anybody think that its more OTT media rather than OTT PC brigade?

Look at some of quotes in the article: "furious debate raged in the American media", yes this story was so big Obama had to address it. It used a poll off the New York Daily News as part of their article and random comments off the website. Lord knows what idiotic random statements they could find on boards.ie if it was used in a story.

The video on Youtube has only 40,000 views, I'm sure there is some cute kittens video that has over 2,000,000 views within the same timeframe.

TBF what a sh1t article, sh1t journalism. Tabloid garbage to feed the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

In the US it could possibly be seen as racist on its own but as it is a series of ads it seems a bit strange. References to chicken and black people in America is considered a racist slur which Elvis did on stage once.

Some racial slurs depend on your location . If somebody called me a Mick/Paddy in the UK I would consider them to be racist in the US I wouldn't as it is not said in a derogatory way there.

There are obviously some English people who don't know it it can be offensive.

There are some strange ones still accepted most noticeable is Uncle Ben's, uncle being a term to refer to a black house slave. I remember watching some documentary film which showed a few well known products had racist conatations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement