Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picasa don't like snow

• 07-01-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I shoot Olympus RAW(orf) & Jpeg. Usually open them in Picasa, twiddle a little bit, and save - no problem.

Over the last few days I have been shooting Robins and Squirells but all my RAW files look very noisy - jpeg are a good bit better - in Picasa. The ISO is 400, and the animal/bird is in focus so I think Picasa is having issues with the snow and Raw files.

*I opened the raw files in Olympus Master with much less noise.*

Just a heads up for those of you who use Picasa primarily to view your Raw files - I only have experience of ORF's though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Convert your RAW in master and export to picasa to edit and you should see better results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It could be that your pictures are underexposed by a stop or two, pictures composed almost entirely of snow have a habit of doing that, typically you'll find you have to dial in a stop of added exposure to compensate.
    The discrepancy between the two methods of viewing them might be down to noise reduction. IE the olympus raw converter is doing more, thus leading to what look like less noise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I was thinking that as well, but the Jpeg's seem to be exposed correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »

Oh right, I can't see any pictures in the OP. Regardless, doesn't a RAW conversion do an auto levels or the equivalent ? So the jpegs if they're converted from the the raw would probably look ok, albeit with a bit of smeariness from the noise reduction.

CabanSail wrote: »

Olympus Jpegs are fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Picasa's algorithm is naturally noisy. Dufferama gave you the solution in the first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Covey wrote: »
    Picasa's algorithm is naturally noisy. Dufferama gave you the solution in the first post.

But he advised him to use Oly Master, an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.........

OP I'd advise you to check out the free (for the time being) trial of Lightroom beta3 or have a look at RAW Therapee if you want to stick to free software.

nilhg wrote: »
    But he advised him to use Oly Master, an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.........

OP I'd advise you to check out the free (for the time being) trial of Lightroom beta3 or have a look at RAW Therapee if you want to stick to free software.

I said it would give him the best results! I wouldn't recommend using master.

If he shot RAW and Large Fine Jpeg and thinks the Jpegs are good I'd just discard the RAW files and work with the Jpegs

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

It wasn't that I needed a solution so I could work on my Raw's.
    I was just making others aware of the issue incase they only used Picasa and thought their shots were crap. I have lightroom 3 and PS CS2 - I had Raw Therapee somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys!

Advertisement