Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst car for these conditions

• 07-01-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Saw a Honda S2000 in a spot of bother yesterday afternoon. Rear wheels spinning away to no avail. Any other cars you wouldn't fancy venturing out in at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I was out in a 510bhp rear wheel drive LWB Jag XJ yesterday and it was fun (i.e. awful!). Took ages to even reverse out of the parking space and had the tail out at 20mph on a roundabout.

Not a very suitable snow machine.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Anything RWD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I'm driving a BMW 1.8 rear wheel drive and its a disaster trying to drive it in this weather. Second gear or higher starting off helps a lot with low revs.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

focus rs/st...too much power to the front wheel leads to lots of wheel spin...(if its bad in my car it HAS to be bad in one of them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Mine. 260bhp 200sx

Must admit though it's bloody fun in these conditions:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Mr.David wrote: »
    I was out in a 510bhp rear wheel drive LWB Jag

Not a very suitable snow machine.......

510bhp you say ?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Whatever about cars. Anything with less than 4 wheels ;)

I've seen some lunatics on bicycles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dragon_lordMTB

Actually left my BMW330 auto in work and cycled home. Much, much easier.

homer90 wrote: »
    510bhp you say ?? :D

Yup, about 450bhp too much in these conditions to be honest!

However, I can report that the wipers on the XJ are top notch (in case anyone was wondering) as I sat in with about 5 inches of snow on the windscreen and they managed to clear it all. I was expecting a whirr and nothing, or a snap maybe. Damn fine wipers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My 5 series might as well have skiis instead of tyres. Knew I should have sourced some winter wheels. 9" wide tyres with minimum thread depth ftl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Actually left my BMW330 auto in work and cycled home. Much, much easier.

Something wrong there then.
    Our 530i Auto seems fine. Once I got use to it (doing 150km daily) its ok. Have to do a lot of overtaking nervous nancy (pressed up against the windscreen, eyes and mouth frozen in sheer terror) driving her Ka to "de shops" at 10mph and clueless nouveau riche (non-gender specific) in the 4x4s driving an equally moronic 15mph these days.

The 850CSI (380bhp, RWD with LSD, Summer tires) on the otherhand is a brave mans gambit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

saw a transit with 3 big lads in the front not going anywhere, trying to get up a slope I wouldnt consider any steeper then an average driveway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

rescued the old man after he had to abandon his 5 series. said it was ridic, had to hit the curb to sop!

alexlyons wrote: »
    "it was ridic"

Thats such a BMW driver thing to say. Ridic.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Wossack wrote: »
    saw a transit with 3 big lads in the front not going anywhere, trying to get up a slope I wouldnt consider any steeper then an average driveway

Should have put 2 of them in the back :D

Seen an idiot in an M3 trying to get up constitution hill yesterday...foot to the floor you could hear the rev limiter kicking in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

My Altezza is housebound, taking my Mammys '00 Clio to work 'til it clears up :o

I was less conservative with my language when I was spinning halfway up a canal bridge.

"Come'on ta f***"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What a ridic silly comment to make. rolleyes indeed.

eddiehead wrote: »
    My Altezza is housebound, taking my Mammys '00 Clio to work 'til it clears up :o

Fail, and you know it, so no denying it :)

Thats such a BMW driver thing to say.

eh I drive a polo :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

eh I drive a polo :p

That's such a VW owner thing to say.

eoin wrote: »
    That's such a VW owner thing to say.

I don't own it either :D yes i know, celtic tiger son, oh well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I have an E200 Komp auto RWD, shambles really, no control over gearing, wheels spinning all over the shop, and a bit of drift action on a 10mph corner yesterday.

Then took out C220 cdi auto also RWD and was a lot better, I'd imagine to do with torque in the diesel, but way more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anything RWD with auto must be the worst, was listening to Ryan Tubridy, who drives such a machine describe his attempts to get to a function last night. He gave up, and today got a taxi to work.

mike65 wrote: »
    Anything RWD with auto must be the worst, was listening to Ryan Tubridy, who drives such a machine describe his attempts to get to a function last night. He gave up, and today got a taxi to work.

Keep hearing that but dont get it. Our 530i Auto is no great shakes (Im rather critical of it actually) and the tyres on the front are totally crap (Nexxens..), but its not that hard to drive at all. The Auto box by its nature doesnt dump power unless you kick down and presumably BMW DSC and Auto work together, in an intelligent manner.

I would say, from my experience, RWD and manual is harder (and I really like manuals). Auto is point and shoot, get into trouble and its 2 less things to even think about (clutch and gear).

Your story on Ryan Tubridy doesnt nothing to lift him from my impression of him as a "talentless tool" either. :D Cant drive an Auto in Ice? Good man..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanj2408

I have an Audi A4 FWD and fiance drives a BMW 318 RWD surprisingly the Beamer is easier to drive in this weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Keep hearing that but dont get it. Our 530i Auto is no great shakes (Im rather critical of it actually) and the drives on the front are totally crap (Nexxens..), but its not that hard. The Auto box by its nature doesnt dump power unless you kick down and presumably BMW DCS and Auto work together, in an intelligent manner.

I would say, from my experience, RWD and manual is harder (and I really like manuals). Auto is point and shoot, get into trouble and its 2 less things to even think about (clutch and gear)
    I have to agree. My mother's no rally artist, and she's been grand in her 320d auto so far. There are limits to only having 2wd, but within those limits the car has behaved faultlessly. BMW's ESP seems to engage very early, and doesn't really allow the car to get out of shape at all - my Forester's system is a lot more 'fun-loving' by comparison, which is perhaps not ideal the likes of my mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

My wife left her RX-8 at work yesterday and got the train home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was expecting horrors in my ancient W202 Mercedes C200 auto, but quite the opposite. Having some little clue of what you're doing is far more useful than an manual gearbox and the autobox is actually very handy for creeping off from standstill, not that that can't be done in a manual, but on the evidence of what I've seen over the last few days, very few know how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

anything that isnt 4wd basicly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I believe the Reliant would be the worst car? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Keep hearing that but dont get it. Our 530i Auto is no great shakes (Im rather critical of it actually) and the tyres on the front are totally crap (Nexxens..), but its not that hard to drive at all. The Auto box by its nature doesnt dump power unless you kick down and presumably BMW DSC and Auto work together, in an intelligent manner.

Have to say, my 520i is an absolute joke and would never get one again.
    In this weather I would prefer to have my Skoda Octavia back. Never had issues with it driving in weather like this.

The RWD with auto is just pointless. If you switch to manual, it just tells you that you shouldn't use that gear when you really know you want to and switches to whatever it feels is the best one...

The ESP (or ASC as they call it on BMW's) absolute waste of time, I have to turn it off to get up even the smallest slope!!! Otherwise the thing just cancels each other out and you get nowhere at all.

So my conclusion is.... RWD, Auto and ESP that can't be turned off.... definitely the worst. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

95 bmw m3, no esp or traction control
    impossible to drive even when startin in 3rd,
    am housebound too I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

tomED wrote: »
    In this weather I would prefer to have my Skoda Octavia back. Never had issues with it driving in weather like this.

The RWD with auto is just pointless. If you switch to manual, it just tells you that you shouldn't use that gear when you really know you want to and switches to whatever it feels is the best one...

The ESP (or ASC as they call it on BMW's) absolute waste of time, I have to turn it off to get up even the smallest slope!!! Otherwise the thing just cancels each other out and you get nowhere at all.

So my conclusion is.... RWD, Auto and ESP that can't be turned off.... definitely the worst. :)
    But we never had weather like this! Not recently anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gerryCan

My Octavia Auto is great.
    Turn on the window demister and it rev's a little more, perfect for creeping off. When it comes time to stop I put it in tip-tronic and drop the gears manually.

As for the "women are better drivers then men" thing.

Point to note. If the wheels spin with a little power its not your cue to rev the crap out of it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

535d not covering itself in glory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

gerryCan wrote: »
    When it comes time to stop I put it in tip-tronic and drop the gears manually.
    It's safer to use the brakes to slow down, engine braking only brakes the front wheels and can cause them to lock up on ice.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    But we never had weather like this! Not recently anyway!

The only difference now is that it's gone on more than a day. We've had snowy / icy weather every year that I can remember! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭quickg

Normally commute by motorbike, but that's been mothballed for the last 4 weeks and my up to now, unused and unloved 2002 Hilux has really come into it's own.
    I live in Meath where the roads are still treacherous and I have ferried relatives to the airport twice and even had a couple of trip up the mountains.
    Hav'nt had as much driving fun in ages!!

• Advertisement

quickg wrote: »
    my up to now, unused and unloved 2002 Hilux

I'll take that of your hands ;)

Hmm... Im not trying to be argumentative and we each have our own experiences and all, but come on man, so much of that is simply incorrect.

"The RWD with auto is just pointless. If you switch to manual, it just tells you that you shouldn't use that gear when you really know you want to and switches to whatever it feels is the best one..."
    Dont switch to manual then, let the auto box do its job. If you feel you have to, something wrong with the car (box, tyres etc) or your driving style

ESP / ASC are stability control systems. BMW retired ASC years ago, its DSC now. You have described a situation where Traction Control (TC) needed to be deactivated. Regardless of the system you are referring to, again thats not "right". Have a look at Tiff trying to drive a FWD car up an ice slope without TC on (mid way through, whole video worth watching):

The other old chestnut is covered to, the idea that ABS is worse to have on in the Ice and no ABS (its not, you need it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Hmm... Im not trying to be argumentative and we each have our own experiences and all, but come on man, so much of that is simply incorrect.

"The RWD with auto is just pointless. If you switch to manual, it just tells you that you shouldn't use that gear when you really know you want to and switches to whatever it feels is the best one..."
    Dont switch to manual then, let the auto box do its job. If you feel you have to, something wrong with the car (box, tyres etc) or your driving style

ESP / ASC are stability control systems. BMW retired ASC years ago, its DSC now. You have described a situation where Traction Control (TC) needed to be deactivated. Regardless of the system you are referring to, again thats not "right". Have a look at Tiff trying to drive a FWD car up an ice slope without TC on (mid way through, whole video worth watching):

The other old chestnut is covered to, the idea that ABS is worse to have on in the Ice and no ABS (its not, you need it).
    Linky Vidy no worky? :( OOOOOOO I got it workin in my quote :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

neonman wrote: »
    I'm driving a BMW 1.8 rear wheel drive and its a disaster trying to drive it in this weather. Second gear or higher starting off helps a lot with low revs.

If wheels start spinning try switching off ASC until you get moving. This worked for me.

Sorry I see now this was already suggested.

Be argumentative away man, I don't mind! That's what a discussion is all about! :)

The auto leaves the car in to high revs, so you just end up in wheel spin.
    ESP / ASC are stability control systems. You have described a situation where Traction Control (TC) needed to be deactivated. Regardless of the system you are referring to, again thats not "right".

A quick example, I got stuck on a hill in the last bout of snow. The traction control kicked in and cancelled everything out. In other words none of the wheels were stable and the car wouldn't move.

Completely agree, it's there to stabilise - that's fine when you are moving... when you're stuck it's pointless.

The only way I could get out of that situation was to turn off traction control and let one of the wheels grab. And as you can see, others have turned off ASC too to get the car going....

Completely agree that you need it, but have personally found avoiding using brakes at all is best plan of action.

So overall, I agree with what you are saying in terms of what "should" work - but that's only in certain conditions. The car is very stable when ON the road - trying to get out of a sticky patch or climb a hill... forget about it.

Oh and you're more than welcome to come prove me wrong and get my car out of this housing estate!!! Could do with getting out today!!! :)

what idiot is gonna do 70mph on sheet ice??

Mika Häkkinen?

Man, its weird how some people miss the point this experiment entirely.
    They arent showing you have great 70mph is, they are making the Industry standard 50mph test more dangerous to really push the electronic systems.

The auto leaves the car in to high revs, so you just end up in wheel spin.
    Oh and you're more than welcome to come prove me wrong and get my car out of this housing estate!!! Could do with getting out today!!! :)
    Well, that may be the difference. The 530i Auto doesnt go rev crazy, its pretty lazy actually (though other people call it rev happy, in my opinion its slow). So in my case, the Auto keeps the Revs lower than I would and TC comes in rarely. Maybe the E39 had a better setup than the E46?
    I drive ours, as I said, 150km, from little grass up the middle lane ways where I live, to wrecked backroads to the M50, so Ive covered basically the gamut and its been very well behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think you've all missed the point, surely the worst car to be in for the conditions has to be something like the Ariel Atom or a convertible with the hood stuck in the open position! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Something wrong there then.
    Our 530i Auto seems fine. Once I got use to it (doing 150km daily) its ok. Have to do a lot of overtaking nervous nancy (pressed up against the windscreen, eyes and mouth frozen in sheer terror) driving her Ka to "de shops" at 10mph and clueless nouveau riche (non-gender specific) in the 4x4s driving an equally moronic 15mph these days.

The 850CSI (380bhp, RWD with LSD, Summer tires) on the otherhand is a brave mans gambit.

funny that, I always observed the nouveau riche in BMW's . . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement