Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst car for these conditions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Barname wrote: »
    funny that, I always observed the nouveau riche in BMW's . . .

Im driving a 10year old daily driver and a 17year old classic car... you must be real low on the social food chain to consider me nouveau riche! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Scariest thing I saw was a guy reving the nuts of an E92 M3 on Westminster Rd in foxrock, coming off the N11. Was grand for the first 20 metres but then started going backwards down the hill towards the main road out of Dublin when it was extremely busy. He managed to lodge his back wheel on the curb about 6 feet from the junction, he was haunted!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have driven the same type of car over the last two winters (Opel Omega) one of which was a 2.2 diesel manual (130HP)and my current one which is a 2.6 Auto Petrol (180HP). Both are RWD.

To my surprise, I found the auto to be much more civilised in icy conditions than the lower power diesel. I remember last year in the diesel struggling to make it up icy hills wherease this year, on the same hills I am having no problems.

I find that the winter mode on the auto is excellent as it locks the gearbox in third so it is easier to apply low rev power to the wheels which reduces the chance of wheelspin. I would imagine having a manual gearbox in the same car would be causing a lot more problems these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

oisin_t wrote: »
    focus rs/st...too much power to the front wheel leads to lots of wheel spin...(if its bad in my car it HAS to be bad in one of them!!)

But the Focus RS has a limo (Quaife ATB job) so both front wheels will pull, as opposed to the open diff in most cars. The Limo would make a big difference, provided the driver knew how to use it properly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

1987 LHD VW t25 camper 1.9 Rear engine, RWD, do I win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's safer to use the brakes to slow down, engine braking only brakes the front wheels and can cause them to lock up on ice.
    I disagree, engine braking is how I do it and never had an accident (+10 years of Scandinavian winter driving*). Braking is more likely to lock the wheels, well consider whether you have ABS/RWD/FWD/etc.

*btw, it's below 20 there at the moments and several inches of snow/ice between you and the tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

ianobrien wrote: »
    But the Focus RS has a limo (Quaife ATB job) so both front wheels will pull, as opposed to the open diff in most cars. The Limo would make a big difference, provided the driver knew how to use it properly.....

ok well from experience, the diff in it isnt all its craked up to be...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What is it will all the BMWs having problems?

Took me 5 minutes to clear Campells bridge yesterday in my 320D.

Maybe the fact I had ASC on didn't help?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Well, that may be the difference. The 530i Auto doesnt go rev crazy, its pretty lazy actually (though other people call it rev happy, in my opinion its slow). So in my case, the Auto keeps the Revs lower than I would and TC comes in rarely. Maybe the E39 had a better setup than the E46?
    I drive ours, as I said, 150km, from little grass up the middle lane ways where I live, to wrecked backroads to the M50, so Ive covered basically the gamut and its been very well behaved.

Agree with this, the SW on Toms sounds weird. Mine keeps the revs really low with little input from acceleraor and will get me up most slopes as long as you never give it too much foot.

I can also pick a gear it manual mode and it will use that gear, never changes unless you go over the redline and never does it's own thing like Toms. Mines an E92.

Gnerally though you see a lot of RWD BMWs, Merc and Lexus struggle in this weather, no matter what the laws of physics apply. Poor tyres for the conditions + high power isn't a recipe for good results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gerryCan

It's safer to use the brakes to slow down, engine braking only brakes the front wheels and can cause them to lock up on ice.

Are you for real :eek:
    I been out and about for the past couple of days and I have driven in the snow in the past. If you brake on ice you skid simple as that. Its like going down a hill on a normal (non icy road) drop a gear at the top of the hill and the gear will hold the car back and stop it running away.

I think you need snow driving lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I threw x2 100 litre bags of compost in the boot and let some air out of the tyres. Car pulls Far easier now.

Needs some weight in the back. And thoughful gearing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Magnus wrote: »
    I disagree, engine braking is how I do it and never had an accident (+10 years of Scandinavian winter driving*). Braking is more likely to lock the wheels, well consider whether you have ABS/RWD/FWD/etc.

*btw, it's below 20 there at the moments and several inches of snow/ice between you and the tarmac.
    Engine braking was recommended in the days before ABS on the basis that it was more gentle and therefore less likely to lock the wheels. With modern ABS, though, that advantage is gone. Engine braking will usually work fine, but be a bit rough on a very slippy surface and it can easily lock the driven wheels, resulting in a slide. If that does happen then you need to accelerate to regain control, which for most drivers is counterintuitive. It's also less effective, as usually only two wheels are being braked instead of all four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Im driving a 10year old daily driver and a 17year old classic car... you must be real low on the social food chain to consider me nouveau riche! :pac:

Once again you play the man and not the ball, lets play it your way then....

no, I dont consider you nouveau, you are simply a 'reacher'

similar to all those stressed out newer model 3 series drivers - 'reachers'

'reachers' - always stressed by either finance company repayment demands or imminent repair bills!

'reachers' are full of false pride and real envy, horrible drivers obliviously secure in their inadequecies

happy new year!

funny that, I always observed the nouveau riche in BMW's . . .
    ..or these days it's more likely to be the nouveau pouvre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can we move on from the stupid generalisations please?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I threw x2 100 litre bags of compost in the boot and let some air out of the tyres. Car pulls Far easier now.

Needs some weight in the back. And thoughful gearing ;)
    Great idea...but will that work as well when you're trying to go uphill? Surely all the added weight in the back would be a hindrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

eoin wrote: »
    Can we move on from the stupid generalisations please?

you on your high horse !

I reckon I had (the car is currently in the great scrapyard in the sky) the worst car for ice, a Citroen AX GT. The car weighted in at 790kg including driver (according to the NCT) thanks to it's plastic panels and had a rev happy engine. Taking off in the wet was demanding and punishing on the tyres, especially up any type of hill. In the wet, it would spin the wheels in third if provoked.

One day, there was a bit of snow/ice, and the car couldn't move at all. I had a set of Colway Plus 4 tyres (a tyre designed for ralllying on gravel) on AX wheels and I threw them on, despite nearly freezing my fingers off. The difference was amaising. The car could go up any slope in the snow/ice with them tyres, and gave great confidence, but they didn't cure the tail happy nature of the car in bends.

Unfortunately, the tyres don't fit my current road car, because if they did, I'd have them on in a shot. Tyres make the world of difference.

you on your high horse !
    * sighs * Banned for a week for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

Worst Car by far in these conditions would be an 04 Renault Scenic (that is if you can get it to start !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Engine braking was recommended in the days before ABS on the basis that it was more gentle and therefore less likely to lock the wheels. With modern ABS, though, that advantage is gone.
    Depends on the ABS. My car has ABS and so does my wife's and neither kick in unless you really slam on the pedal. If you brake lightly and the wheel locks, the ABS does nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

copacetic wrote: »

Gnerally though you see a lot of RWD BMWs, Merc and Lexus struggle in this weather, no matter what the laws of physics apply. Poor tyres for the conditions + high power isn't a recipe for good results.

This is true. You can kinda work around it, but the 3 quattros I had didnt need any tricks for driving in these conditions. And before someone mentions it, 4x4, quattro, RWD and FWD are all equally hopeless at braking. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Well, that may be the difference. The 530i Auto doesnt go rev crazy, its pretty lazy actually (though other people call it rev happy, in my opinion its slow). So in my case, the Auto keeps the Revs lower than I would and TC comes in rarely. Maybe the E39 had a better setup than the E46?
    I drive ours, as I said, 150km, from little grass up the middle lane ways where I live, to wrecked backroads to the M50, so Ive covered basically the gamut and its been very well behaved.

Not a mechanic, so I've no idea if they are different! :)
    But on the roads as I said I feel safe enough, but when you get stuck... it's not pleasant trying to get unstuck!

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on the ABS. My car has ABS and so does my wife's and neither kick in unless you really slam on the pedal. If you brake lightly and the wheel locks, the ABS does nothing.
    Like engine braking so?;) Seriously though, i've only found that to happen at extremely low speeds, ie where the ABS might reasonably think that the car was at a standstill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Poor drivers? My E39 has been fine, not a bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Haven't even looked at my car since Sunday.

Ordered new Michelin Pilots this week but not the Cup versions, semi slicks are great to brag about to your mates in the pub (if that's your thing!!) but they have left me totally stranded I've driven my car twice in the last week, both times cause I totally had to.

Nearly ruined the car last week during a 180 spin at crawling speeds and then got stuck on a small-ish hill and had to be helped out by passing guards who stopped cars coming towards me so I could try limp up, handbrake nearly fully on, 2nd gear, clutch burning to fook and all the traction gadgets off... joke! I couldn't be arsed going on a track so why BMW have to supply cars with racing tyres unless you specifically ask for them I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

even a 4 wheel drive is going to struggle if it has the wrong tyres. My 400bhp RWD BMW is safer on snow than my brothers Rav4 4x4 because he has summer tyres and i have winter tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i drive mine mx5 ot work daily. RWD+LSD+LIGHT=FUN! :P

Seriuosly, i havent had so much fun on roads in ages, i can drive in second gear with no problems on ice... So mazda mx5 is defenetly not the worst, its best :D. Dont know if toyo T1Rs help, but i got quite a bit of grip is not messing...

Thought i dont think i would feel comfortable in something heavy+rwd+auto....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Engine braking was recommended in the days before ABS on the basis that it was more gentle and therefore less likely to lock the wheels. With modern ABS, though, that advantage is gone. Engine braking will usually work fine, but be a bit rough on a very slippy surface and it can easily lock the driven wheels, resulting in a slide. If that does happen then you need to accelerate to regain control, which for most drivers is counterintuitive. It's also less effective, as usually only two wheels are being braked instead of all four.
    I have ABS but was learned the engine brake way so now I don't really notice the ABS unless I'm pressing the brakes hard. I guess the wheels can lock during engine braking but at least it never happened to me.

Also I was taught if you start to skid is to 1) not brake but clutch and simply steer in the direction you want to go and 2) not press the accelerator unless the car is facing where you want to go (all 4 wheels are straight). Of course to be taking with a bit of salt depending on circumstances etc...

Shires wrote: »
    Poor drivers? My E39 has been fine, not a bother.

Bring it down here to my estate and let's see you get it out, when you do you can get mine out too! :) PRETTY PLEASE! :) lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

RWD Mr2 convertible hasn't really moved in the last week, although a lot of fun could be had with it in an empty industrial estate I imagine :D

ST Focus has been surprisingly well behaved!

Changed my mind - it's got to be a Ford Fiesta .... http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=232215734587 (will need a facebook account)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I'm driving the best car at the moment. 1.6d Mk2 Golf with snow tires on the front. Loads of grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

copacetic wrote: »

The power is not the problem, you just need to control yourself. I drive a BMW M5 (which is 400 bhp) and in general do quite well in this weather.

That is however a fact down to tyres !!!! and a good bit of weight in the boot. Couple sacks of coal or concrete do wonders to a RWD car, no matter how much power it outputs.

/M

bf wrote: »
    RWD Mr2 convertible

That might be RWD, but it has a middle-motor. Different animal to all the other RWD's entirely, because you've got the weight at the optimum spot: right in front of your rear axle.

The issue is not being FWD or RWD, the issue is where the weight in your car is. So FWD with engine in the front: good, RWD with the engine in the back or middle: good, RWD with the engine in the front: can be problematic.

Again, make sure you get enough weight on your driving axle and get decent tyres and you'll be fine .. mostly.

As mentioned earlier, all cars break equally bad, no matter if they are RWD, FWD or AWD.

I'd figure the convertible, unless you've got a hardtop, can be pretty cold.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

alexlyons wrote: »
    rescued the old man after he had to abandon his 5 series. said it was ridic, had to hit the curb to sop!
    alexlyons wrote: »
    eh I drive a polo :p
    Scariest thing I saw was a guy reving the nuts of an E92 M3 on Westminster Rd in foxrock, coming off the N11.

What's happening here?:D

I'd say the worst possible car you can have in these conditions is a two-wheel-drive Porsche 911 to be honest.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    What's happening here?:D

I'd say the worst possible car you can have in these conditions is a two-wheel-drive Porsche 911 to be honest.

Why ? The engine is in the back and it's a RWD.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Marlow wrote: »
    Why ? The engine is in the back and it's a RWD.

/M

All the weight is in the back, making the car tail happy and having no grip at the front.

All the weight is in the back, making the car tail happy and having no grip at the front.

That might have implications in regards to steering, but certainly the grip for getting going and for breaking using the engine is a lot better than in a lot of other cars.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

sanj2408 wrote: »
    I have an Audi A4 FWD and fiance drives a BMW 318 RWD surprisingly the Beamer is easier to drive in this weather

I disagree, I find the A4 good compared to some of the other cars I have driven in this ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I had to drive a Volvo Fh12 20 miles on Tuesday with no trailer. Traction control would actualy not let the Truck move from a stop! Turned it off and was spinning in 10th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The only way that engine braking can lock the driven wheels is if the engine is off.

If the engine is running and the car is in gear, then the wheels will be turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

P.C. wrote: »
    If the engine is running and the car is in gear, then the wheels will be turning.

But not necessarily at the speed matching the velocity of the car :D

seamus wrote: »

If the wheel locks, the ABS is not working right - Get it to a garage now.

ABS just stops locking the wheel under braking, and consequently allows max braking performance by stopping the wheels from locking. As the wheels are not locked under braking, you still have steering and can now steer around the obstacle.

Just a useless piece of info. On the ABS system, there are four wheel sensors that see if the wheel is not turning (ie locked) or if it is turning slower than the other wheels (about to lock). If the ABS brain sees that a wheel is locked or is about to lock, it reduces the pressure in the brake line to that wheel. As a result of the modulation of the pressure in the brake line, you feel the modulation as vibrations in the brake pedal.

Simple concept really, and seems to be widely misunderstood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ianobrien wrote: »
    If the wheel locks, the ABS is not working right - Get it to a garage now.....Simple concept really, and seems to be widely misunderstood.

indeed, except ABS only works above a certain road speed. It does not work at, say, walking pace, (which is about the speed on ice......)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sanj2408

teednab-el wrote: »
    I disagree, I find the A4 good compared to some of the other cars I have driven in this ice.

No the A4 is fine its far better than a lot of other cars but the wheels on the BMW are much wider so i reckon thats why its that bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

BMW 320d...pure disaster, couldn't get up on the crack of dawn

tks to all the people who have pushed me in the last few days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

tomED wrote: »
    Changed my mind - it's got to be a Ford Fiesta .... http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=232215734587 (will need a facebook account)

that is possibly one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually, not. Rear wheel drive, with all the weight on the driving wheels under acceleration (towards the rear), means maximum grip. The throttle goes both ways, y'know......;)

Me ? 3.0 968 Tiptronic, near-perfect 50:50 weight distribution, automatic (so short-shifts by itself), not too-wide tyres (bog standard 205/55R15) - smaller than the std OEM ones on the 1.9diesel 9-3, outside.....and no issues with traction yet......:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    indeed, except ABS only works above a certain road speed. It does not work at, say, walking pace, (which is about the speed on ice......)

Accepted the fact that the ABS doesn't work under certain speeds (I think it's 5kph om my car), but it was the sweeping generalization about the ABS that Seamus said that was wrong.

And for the speed needed for driving on ice. The road that I live on has a gentle incline. Over Christmas, it froze in one part where the incline was the worst. Those that drove at walking pace didn't make it up the hill, blocking the road. After turning the stopped cars and clearing the road, I decided to drive at 25 to 30kph and made it up no problems. That's just one example of where driving "slow (at walking pace) but steady" was the wrong thing to do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement