Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a difference between Sniping and Camping?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

im just wondering is there really a difference between camping and sniping?? and if so, what is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

A good sniper will move position after 1-3 kills because due to kill cam/common sense they will get killed. A camper will stay in one spot for a good part of the game waiting for people to walk by and then he will ambush. A camper may or may not use a sniper rifle. Hopefully this explains it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some say its if you have a sniper rifle or not. But to me thats not the difference. A sniper kills you with a long shot, regardless if you are using a LMG, M16 or Rifle. You generally move around between shots so people don't work out where you are. Takes a bit of skill. Camping is hiding in corners, and killing people at point blank range. Generally you don't move at all. So it takes no skill at all. Its a cheap shot and just annoys people. Camping doesn't annoy me that much, you get caught once or twice, but once you really someone is doing this, you can generally guess where the bad players (campers) are and lob a nade into them as you pass. They won't score well anyway,.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I think the difference is simple

If Im killed close range while passing through a relativly obscure part of the map by a camper, especially while the action is far away, i generally get pissed off and I will go back after the cnut...........

On the other hand if i get my head blown off by a long distance sniper tucked away in a far off hidey hole I think well done, good shot, well played............if it happens more than once i will switch to sniper class and go on the hunt though, if he;s still there then its fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

campers are the little b1tches that hide out in the same corner with a feckin riot shield and kill you every time !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

BOBBY wrote: »
    campers are the little b1tches that hide out in the same corner with a feckin riot shield and kill you every time !!
    It's surprising, you'd think that campers couldn't possibly become any more retarded than they already are...and now they're doing it with riot shields! Pathetic...

OP: Yes there's a difference between snipers and campers, however more often than not you'll find they just go back to the same windows and **** time and time again, so those are just as bad as campers. Good snipers move around a bit and go undetected well. However, I'd be thrilled if they removed sniping from the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I've found that camping is usually what other people are doing when they kill you from a slightly hidden spot or appear behind you and insert a knife up your ass.

Sniping is what what you do when you kill someone with a sniper rifle from far away.

This is what I've learnt from my online play and seeing the use of the word camping used by the internet peoples. Anyway, camping can done with any weapon, it's becoming more of a curse word now when some asshole gets killed by someone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, I'm usingthe M21 as my primary weapon at the mo, mainly because everything is unlocked and I like the accuracy. However I will move after 1/2 kills as because whats said above you'll owned pretty soon.

However in say, Afghan, I've done it a few times with a couple of mates, 1 will be the sniper providing overwatch and the other 2 will cover the paths up to the look out point. Cant be a lot of fun if you rotate positions

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

minotour wrote: »
    I think the difference is simple

If Im killed close range while passing through a relativly obscure part of the map by a camper, especially while the action is far away, i generally get pissed off and I will go back after the cnut...........

On the other hand if i get my head blown off by a long distance sniper tucked away in a far off hidey hole I think well done, good shot, well played............if it happens more than once i will switch to sniper class and go on the hunt though, if he;s still there then its fair game.

The problem there is when someone is trying to get across the map and happens to run past a hidden sniper and get killed, they sometimes will think "oh that campin bastid knifed me"

Campers rarely knife. They go the easy kill which a knife kill isn't. I'm talking COD4 but I think you might be talking MW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

not really, you can tell if someone is sniping by there kill death ratio at the end of a match, if it's less than 4/1 then there just using the sniper as an excuse to camp;)

• Advertisement

I don't agree. A good sniper will have a high kill to low death ratio.

Compared to someone with a P90 and Jugger or Marty who rushes all the time.

Thats not camping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't agree. A good sniper will have a high kill to low death ratio.

Compared to someone with a P90 and Jugger or Marty who rushes all the time.

Thats not camping.

Yeah I agree I may not have made my point to clear. A sniper will have a higher kill/death ratio, but people using the sniper as cover for basically what is camping at a distance is becoming very popular on mw2 imho.

Maybe its different there I haven't played it.

A sniper is annoying regardless. But its a valid tactic.

TBH even camping is. Anyone a decent player will destroy someone camping, they'll actually start picking on them because they are an easy kill. One game I must have had 10 kills from the same guy hiding in the same spot. Flashbang then a nade after. I was laughing so much I couldn't shoot straight. Sometimes you can just shoot through the wall in the obvious places and get an easy kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Camping and Sniping are different shades of the same color, but that said camping is perceived to be an underhanded tactic whereas sniping is seen to be skillful. Like others have said, the distance of the shot is a big factor in telling the difference. I would not say the weapon of choice makes a huge difference, I get great satisfaction from killing other snipers with my handgun from the same distance as my M21. People waiting around corners with a P90 though does annoy me*.

* Gold LMG with deep pen and double tap sorts them right out though.

With my lag the sniper rifles don;t work out that well I do much better with the LMG and a Grip. You can snip or you can go noob and spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

this guy makes campers look like idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

they are both similer, they stay in same position for a few kills, sniper has long range of course an then moves to another spot an camps again, where as the campers we love to hate hide in a diff way not using a sniper, bit weapons excluding snipers weaons, stay there till u pass.
    some stay at same place other may move, is it tactics or not hard one to call. sometimes with my connection i mainly loose a lot of 50/50 so there for i may have to be more cautious (eg 2 bars), i guess you can have same campers in same place all game or ones they camp an move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I love camping campers!!Kill them and take there spot and if he's a proper camper he will keep coming back.Easy kills!and well worth the abusive message:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

this guy makes campers look like idiots.

Haha loved it when he sent the text 'behind you'!!Class:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

For the most part, snipers on MW1 and MW2 are just campers looking an excuse to claim that they're not actually campers. They generally stay in the same spots and keep going back, therefore are campers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I tried the camping thing but its so boring.

Remember one time I kept getting killed by one guy and took me a while to find out where he was. It was in Afghan and he was on top of the plane, I could barely make him out but when I got my chance I let him have eveything I had!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

... but when I got my chance I let him have eveything I had!! :D

hepatitis c??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tallon wrote: »
    hepatitis c??
    Clap!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sniping takes a lot more skill than camping. That is all, anyone who thinks anything different is wrong. If a sniper is looking at a doorway waiting for someone to walk through then ok it's camping but other than that, just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Liam O wrote: »
    If a sniper is looking at a doorway waiting for someone to walk through then ok it's camping but other than that, just no.

You just described camping

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

As described already above, if your sitting out side a door that the opposite team have to use or blind siding someone and take the easy kill each time, thats just pure camping. Example, the map where the plane is in the centre (mw2),in the caves behind the door,I'm forever seen gimps sitting there the whole match,just waiting for the opposition to come in so he can take his easy kill.
    Sniping is alittle differant I use it on 2 maps, not that good at it but I enjoy it. I get 2 or 3 kills and move nearly to the far side of the map (if i live long enough)I dont sit at spawns taking the easy kill,Thats just camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Campers are wan*kers that can't play the game as it should be. I fcuking hate them. I also hate those fcukers who run around stabbing people from about ten yards away, how stupid is that.

Sniping has its place in the game but when there's too many in one game it ruins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Camping is a word people use to cover there own inadequacies. In a game where you have the option of three to five grenades(one he, two special and two undermounted),you can shoot through walls and see hit detection, you have a radar which shows locations of people, heartbeat sensors which show the locations of people, so where do you get off complaining? Your given the tools to proceed in a ordered and destructive fashion without being killed.

And camping, eg; defending/holding down a area/keypoint can be a game winner for a team. If you don't like it, play the game mode where one team attack and the other defend. Then you can leave the campers on the other side of the map camping a area nobody cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

only time i really camp is when i see a care package..cause its just fun then when all the idiots run and try and get it lol...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tallon wrote: »
    You just described camping

ye and? what's your point?

Advertisement