Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Brown - 1412

• 07-01-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hello, we recently bought a david brown 1412, 12x4 gear box, was looking for the back axle dip stick the other day and there is none, theres a cap down low to fill. So does anyone know what level to fill it to? fill to the filler cap or is there a stud to be taken out?? cant see any stud but there are a pile of bnolts in the back of her.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

John_F wrote: »
    Hello, we recently bought a david brown 1412, 12x4 gear box, was looking for the back axle dip stick the other day and there is none, theres a cap down low to fill. So does anyone know what level to fill it to? fill to the filler cap or is there a stud to be taken out?? cant see any stud but there are a pile of bnolts in the back of her.

Thanks

the back axle dip stick in DB's of that vintage should be next to the high / low / med high etc gear stick .. the filler cap is also around the gear sticks, i am assuming both gears levers are on the floor under steering wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

hi, no the filler cap is in the back near the PTO and one gear lever (low med high and reverse) on the right when in the seat and 1-4 gears on the dash... like a dual power type gears (oil driven)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Have a look on this website...someone will help you..

http://www.dbtc.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

some of the browns had a sight glass about the size of a euro coin near the clutch pedal . a red dot in the middle is your oil level

dont know if it applies to the 1412 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, I've a 1977 David Brown 995.
    The back axle, hydraulics and gearbox are all the one. There is a sight glass like "Snowman" said, which acts as a level. The fill point is on the right hand side (from rear) of the Top Link point. Check the level when the loader is up (if you have one) or it will be starved of oil when you drive around with the loader up. Better to use a heavier oil than standard hydraulic as an older tractor will tend to leak a bit. Use Universal Farm Oil.
    The final drives (left and right) of the rear axle are seperate compartments. This is where the wheels are bolted onto. These use 140 gear oil.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

DB 1412 class big old tractor........pics please :D

hi pakalasa... filler cap on 1412 is on the left had side looking from the back so question remains :rolleyes: , il have a look for the sight glass anyway, il try posting some pics too! thanks

snowman707 wrote: »
    some of the browns had a sight glass about the size of a euro coin near the clutch pedal . a red dot in the middle is your oil level

dont know if it applies to the 1412 though

found it :D:D:D:D happy days! **** she took some amount of oil though! used 20W-30

@ pakalasa: I checked the level of these and seemed okay, how often should this oil be changed would ya think?

and does anyone know what to tighten the rocker cover bolts at using a torque wrench?

Hi "John F" - I asked the same question to a local guy who's a David Brown dealer, he's at it years. He said "every few years".
    It's not like engine oil - it doesn't burn to black colour.

What kind of brakes have you on it? What I mean is - is there a reservoir inside in the cab. If so whatever you do, don't put break fluid in this. It will destroy the seals. It takes LHM oil.

It would be worth your while buy a shop manual. I have one for my 995. The same one covers the 1412.

Here it is
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/4/1/417-david-brown-1412.html

You can but it here - only $25.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0872883655/tractordata-20

thanks!!! yup there are reservoirs in the cab and the fella who sold it warned us to go to a garage to top them up, ya i was looking at those on the net, does the shop manual give good details so ya? cos theres another type of manual for a lot more money e.g. technical manuals and operators manuals if ya know?

• Advertisement

For the money it's worth it.
    It doesn't cover the conversion where David Brown lifted up the cab. Thats with the new brakes & clutch hydraulics. The older DB's don't have these reservoirs in the Cab.
    But it has all the assembly drawings that show how everthing goes together. Even for a small thing like changing a front wheel bearing, it's very handy.
    It's not great on regular maintenance either, what oils to use etc. It's more aimed towards mechanics.

pakalasa wrote: »

What kind of brakes have you on it? What I mean is - is there a reservoir inside in the cab. If so whatever you do, don't put break fluid in this. It will destroy the seals. It takes LHM oil.

Depends on which seals or kit are fitted to the slave or master cylinder, this was discussed on this forum before

Originally Shell Tellus27 was recommended ,

Got photos of the tractor on an internet site of where it was for sale, il try getting photos of her now some time :rolleyes: af4dedf039efd37aeb5258b3ccc86e00.jpg

John_F wrote: »
    Got photos of the tractor on an internet site of where it was for sale, il try getting photos of her now some time :rolleyes: af4dedf039efd37aeb5258b3ccc86e00.jpg

not a bad looker at all, in fact a fine straight machine and bet she is not too fond of the juice either,

I had a 995 and that tractor would more work than other on a fill of diesel

Dammit im jealous :( V cool tractor there lad
    I dont want an exact figure nor am i being nosey but what roughly is one like that making??

@ snowman707: nah light out and not a very big tank in her either like so in fairness were happy out,

@DanFindy, thanks! around €5k, no wear in the link arms or sign of wear every where else, we reckon she was just on PTO work

Good stuff lad, best a luck with er !!

Advertisement