Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: Extend Eircom Wireless Home Network Coverage In Household Using 2nd Netopia

• 07-01-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in a apartment next to my brothers house and have been sharing with his wireless network. But its a pain, and only works downstairs.

The brother uses a Netopia 2247 and I also scored an old a Netopia 2247 from a former Eircom customer.

I rang Eircom but they said it wasn't within their scope of support. (rich considering the money they charge)

I wanted to know if anyone can assist me with setting this up. If I plug the second router into the phone socket on my side, will it work straight away or are there any specific settings I need to implement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot do what you're trying to do. It's simply not possible.

A wireless bridge might help to boost the signal. Some routers can be configured as a wireless bridge, but not the modem/router you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

No way that can be true.

Ive managed to get the original router connected fine and can work of this. I even turned off the original router and connected the new router. I can connect to the router and get onto the Eircom settings page but the internet is a no go.

Windows says the DNS is not responding, but only if I use this router. If i remove this and switch back to the original, everything is OK.

Any ideas?

You're connecting to the router, not to the Internet. That's always possible, even if you don't plug in a phone line. What you're looking to do, share one DSL connection using 2 modems, one of which is not even on the DSL enabled line, is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Drunken you need router with wisp mode....
    The good one is Ovislink WL-5460ap V2 I can really recomend this one as good choice! It has also Wisp+Universal reapeter mode and thats what u looking for :cool:

jor el wrote: »
    You're connecting to the router, not to the Internet. That's always possible, even if you don't plug in a phone line. What you're looking to do, share one DSL connection using 2 modems, one of which is not even on the DSL enabled line, is impossible.

OK, but even when the original modem is disabled and I connect the new modem to the phone line, windows reports that the "DNS is not responding", but with the original modem it works fine. Becuase this modem was originally used on another network, is there a conflict of settings? I have more or less resigned myself to the fact that my original intentions will not be met, but I would like to get the new modem working also, even on its own.

Note that:

- Changed it to a different channel
    - Even tried using the same SSID as the original with wepkey

• Advertisement

borygo77 wrote: »
    The good one is Ovislink WL-5460ap V2 I can really recomend this one as good choice! It has also Wisp+Universal reapeter mode and thats what u looking for :cool:

So you just plug this in? No extra wires, etc?

Does this work on DSL modems aswell as routers?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭nilhg

borygo77 wrote: »
    So you just plug this in? No extra wires, etc?

Does this work on DSL modems aswell as routers?

Thanks

It's (as far as I can see) a wireless access point, no built in DSL modem so not really much use to the OP unless he can run a length of cat5 cable out from his brothers apartment to his.

As far as I know the netopia has no wireless bridge (WDS) mode built in, so cabled is the only option if you want to keep it.

OK, but even when the original modem is disabled and I connect the new modem to the phone line, windows reports that the "DNS is not responding", but with the original modem it works fine. Becuase this modem was originally used on another network, is there a conflict of settings?

Are you plugging in the new modem to the line at your brother's house, or yours? If the new modem was previously used with a non eircom broadband connection, the DNS settings may have been set to that ISP's, which wouldn't work now. Also, the log on username and password will probably be wrong.
    I have more or less resigned myself to the fact that my original intentions will not be met, but I would like to get the new modem working also, even on its own.

It will never work for what you originally intended. You can only have 1 modem on a phone line at any 1 time. You're wasting your time even thinking about adding a 2nd, unless only 1 will ever be switched on at a time.
    - Changed it to a different channel
    - Even tried using the same SSID as the original with wepkey

These only effect the wireless network, and have nothing to do with the Internet connection or DNS. DNS settings are on a separate config page, probably under WAN configuration.

nilhg wrote: »
    It's (as far as I can see) a wireless access point, no built in DSL modem so not really much use to the OP unless he can run a length of cat5 cable out from his brothers apartment to his.

As far as I know the netopia has no wireless bridge (WDS) mode built in, so cabled is the only option if you want to keep it.

So, I cant just power up this device in my apartment and set it to extend the wireless broadcast, it actually needs to be connected via CAT5 to the DSK modem?
    Are you plugging in the new modem to the line at your brother's house, or yours? If the new modem was previously used with a non eircom broadband connection, the DNS settings may have been set to that ISP's, which wouldn't work now. Also, the log on username and password will probably be wrong.

Thats right! When I go to the settings for the new modem I have to enter a user-name and password, which I do not know where to find, so Im lost there.

It will never work for what you originally intended. You can only have 1 modem on a phone line at any 1 time. You're wasting your time even thinking about adding a 2nd, unless only 1 will ever be switched on at a time.

OK got that thanks.

But another question if you would be as kind as you have been.

I managed to put the modem half between my brothers computer and mine (after much messing with extension cables and so forth), and now I get some times full bar strength. But other times this drops by one. When I used to have the pleasure of having the modem on my side of the wall, it was constantly a full signal.

Are there any tweaks I could make to the router to give it that little extra boost to my system?

Thats right! When I go to the settings for the new modem I have to enter a user-name and password, which I do not know where to find, so Im lost there.

For eircom broadband they use the same username and password for all. Could be eircomnet for both.

I managed to put the modem half between my brothers computer and mine (after much messing with extension cables and so forth), and now I get some times full bar strength. But other times this drops by one. When I used to have the pleasure of having the modem on my side of the wall, it was constantly a full signal.

Are there any tweaks I could make to the router to give it that little extra boost to my system?

Not with those modems, they're cheep and crappy. Instead of connecting with cables running across the floor and so on, you could invest in Homeplugs. These allow you to use the hose electricity wiring as a network. Google Homeplug for info. This might allow you to put a 2nd router (not the modem you have though) closer to your wall, while leaving the modem where it is.

• Advertisement

OK, thanks for that.

Could you recommend a good retail DSL modem I could install that would act as if there were no walls. Would N-Draft be a good idea or is this only available with routers? In that case, would a router be a good idea? What would be the cheapest and best option?

Advertisement