Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of a fox

Options
  • 07-01-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Ok we moved into a new house back in Sep in Dundrum and we think we have a fox in the garden most nights, its a terraced House with a long back garden and every day there is a new hole dug in the garden and sh1t let every where at least 2-3 turds, I've checked the end of the garden fences on both sides and there was a small hole which is now blocked off with big ass concrete blocks, so i have no clue how he's getting in and why he is digging.

How can i get rid of him without Killing the poor little guy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I wonder would spreading a small amount of dog muck in the back yard (for scent purposes) keep the fox away? I'd guess they'd be afraid of domestic dogs.
    Could be a badger doing this damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Might be a Badger, My Misus saw a fox out the front of the house late one night. The foot prints look like dog prints to me so thats why i thought fox. Its really annoying every few days having to go out and clean up after him/her and fill in the holes ......

Contrast the prints, Spread sand along the edges of the garden, The prints would be easy to see then.
    Heres some reference photos.
    Footprints%20(2).gif

bit gross but... another site said to get the man of the house to pee round the garden... another scent deterrent.

i have started to Pee a bit out in the garden, its a bit hard to do it without being seen by the neighbours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

shanemort wrote: »
    i have started to Pee a bit out in the garden, its a bit hard to do it without being seen by the neighbours. :)

Just pee in a cup in your house and then throw it out around the garden, that way your neighbours wont think your weird. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

I'd love to have a fox out my back garden. Why dya want to get rid of it? Is it going through the rubbish or somethin? if not the fox might just be using your back garden to get where it wants to go. Why not cut it some slack?

steve_oh wrote: »
    I'd love to have a fox out my back garden. Why dya want to get rid of it? Is it going through the rubbish or somethin? if not the fox might just be using your back garden to get where it wants to go. Why not cut it some slack?

He's digging about 2 holes a day and sh1tting twice if not three times a night (Or there could be more than 1, but i think they are loners) Any way he's destroying the garden.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

drink a couple flaggins of cider and piss in the garden....you wont give a fcuk who see's you then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

He's digging about 2 holes a day and sh1tting twice if not three times a night (Or there could be more than 1, but i think they are loners) Any way he's destroying the garden.....
    if its digging holes and ****ting in them,i'd say its a badger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should leave out some dog food out for the poor starving critter particularly in this freezing weather.

Leaving some dog food somewhere a bit away from the garden might be a good idea. Saw a fox legging it in our local park this morning. I'd say the cold drives them out to take risks to get food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Try smelling the poo - fox has a very 'special' scent, a musty stink, v different from dog or cat. If it is a fox you should celebrate, they mainly live on rats. Which would you rather have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

planetX wrote: »
    Try smelling the poo - fox has a very 'special' scent, a musty stink, v different from dog or cat. If it is a fox you should celebrate, they mainly live on rats. Which would you rather have?

Rats wont keep you awake at night. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

You should leave out some dog food out for the poor starving critter particularly in this freezing weather.
    Well said

Got some foot prints in the snow for ya to check out. think they are a fox and the smaller ones are a cat.

img0059ik.th.jpg
    img0058nk.th.jpg
    img0064mp.th.jpg
    img0062ns.th.jpg
    img0060x.th.jpg
    img0061aq.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Foxes won't be doing too badly with all the dead/weakened birds about, along with their usual prey. Don't think they'll be going for worms though!

The Fecker seem'd to disappear for a while but he's back now!!! and he's dug up 5 tulip bulbs planted in December and looks like he tried to eat them!!!!!

Digging more holes in the garden and crapping all over the place!!!

How can i get rid of this lad now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I just want to go against any suggestions of feeding the fox.
    They are wild animals and should remain that way. If people feed them they will have a much easier time than they normally would and will quickly multiply.
    They might be a cute little fox to you but your neighbour might just decide to poison or shoot them.

In America they have huge problems with people feeding bears. People stop the car when they see one and throw the bears sandwiches etc to draw them over so they can get a better photo of them. The result is that the bears begin to associate humans with getting an easy meal and so they begin to approach humans when they see them. What happens to a bear when he, uninvited, comes close to a human? He gets shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

I have been feeding a fox for a few yrs now, he comes at a set time every night, once fed he is gos away, if I am late feeding he will make a racket looking for food so for me and for the sake of his life he is fed each and every night;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

annefitzy wrote: »
    I have been feeding a fox for a few yrs now, he comes at a set time every night, once fed he is gos away, if I am late feeding he will make a racket looking for food so for me and for the sake of his life he is fed each and every night;)

He is a wild animal and would survive perfectly fine without bring fed by people.
    If he didn't then natural selection would run its course.
    For all we know the previous owners of the OP's house fed this fox and now he has come to expect an easy meal and is bothering the OP in the process. The OP stopped to think but another person may have poisoned this fox and he'd be in for a slow painful death then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

The thing of pissing around the place, leaving human hair, dog **** etc dosnt work. All it does is make them a bit more skeptical.

Advertisement