Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail webfares - shorter journey costs almost 3 times more

• 07-01-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

I was considering travelling one way from Carrick-on-Shannon to Dublin today.

A single from Sligo if bought on-line costs €10.

Tickets ex Carrick-on-Shannon, same line, shorter journey, cannot be bought on-line and must be purchased in station at €27.50.

The utter madness is it'd be cheaper for me to get the train from Carrick to Sligo, and get the €10 ticket to Dublin from there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its a promotional online fare, that's why it cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Or...

You could just buy the Dublin ticket and get off at whatever stop you want...

Your welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Or...

You could just buy the Dublin ticket and get off at whatever stop you want...

Your welcome
    It's not getting off, it's getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

At the moment apparently Carrick-on-Shannon does not have the facility to print off online reservations - I believe that it is being addressed.

A short term fix would be to book online from Sligo to Dublin in advance and get it posted to you.

KC61 wrote: »
    A short term fix would be to book online from Sligo to Dublin in advance and get it posted to you.
    Lunacy. I need to travel today. I'll drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

JHMEG wrote: »

Now THATS lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Why didn't you just pay the €10 from Sligo and hop on in carrick??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

luzon wrote: »

Presumably thats not permitted.

luzon wrote: »

I'd have no ticket as it'd be in Sligo waiting for me.

Driving back was fine. Only brief problem was getting into my driveway which some cardboard sorted out. And to think that I even considered a return on the train at €39 (vs €10 x 2 for those lucky Sligo residents).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I'd have no ticket as it'd be in Sligo waiting for me.

Driving back was fine. Only brief problem was getting into my driveway which some cardboard sorted out. And to think that I even considered a return on the train at €39 (vs €10 x 2 for those lucky Sligo residents).

How were the roads as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement

Heavy fog from before Longford all the way. Roads (M4) were grand as far as Leixlip where I needed to slow down a bit more, but even then were not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lunacy.

Quick, someone tell IE to stop offering specials ....

'Tis no different to the E2 bus fares that Bus Eireann were offering. It made sense for some people to say E3 to come in to town from Oranmore so they could catch an E2 bus to Dublin, which stopped in Oranmore along the way.

Was it lunacy? Or just marketing?

JustMary wrote: »
    Quick, someone tell IE to stop offering specials ....

'Tis no different to the E2 bus fares that Bus Eireann were offering. It made sense for some people to say E3 to come in to town from Oranmore so they could catch an E2 bus to Dublin, which stopped in Oranmore along the way.

Was it lunacy? Or just marketing?

Getting tickets printed in Sligo and *posted* to Carrick-on-Shannon is lunacy.

Anyway the bottom line is IR's 'marketing' in this case didn't entice me out of my car and onto the train.

Advertisement