Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed for Barnardos Charity 'Slim-in'

Options
  • 07-01-2010 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,

This is my first time using this so I apologise in advance for any errors etc! I work with Barnardos Childrens Charity and we are doing a Losers for Barnardos campaign where staff and friends are starting next Monday for 16 weeks to loose weight and get sponsored to raise vital funds for Barnardos whilst doing it. I heard this forum mentioned on radio last week as a really good one for people who are looking to improve their fitness and change diet and lifestlye. I was wondering if there was anyone (or few) out there who would be willing to help us out over the coming weeks with advice on diet, exercise etc??? We are setting up a Facebook Page for all who are taking part and it would be great to get some expert advice and support to help and encourage people. Everyone taking part is choosing their own way of doing it and what I wanted to do is provide an area on the facebook page where they can log on to get some hints and tips! I am no expert so would really appreciate any help from anyone who is!!!

thank you so much! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I organised a sponsored slim in back in the late '80. We were a group of Garda motorcyclists and the goal was to loose the weight of a Kawasaki GT550 motorcycle (about 330 kgs) between us.

For no particular reason it ran the course of Lent. We recieved excellent sponsorship from the Kawasaki Centre (an 80cc motorcycle) which we raffeled off to one of the sponsors on the cards. We lost in excess of the target weight and raised over £10,000 which was sufficient to buy a kidney dialysis machine for the Meath Hospital. We even made the Late Late show.

Try target work groups and the higher the profile the better. The more people are aware the easier it is for the participants and for fundraising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 charityslim

Thanks a million Trad. We have a full PR plan behind the camapign but the sponsorship idea is a great one!

The type of help we really need is someone who is an expert is sports/fitness and diet support to help people put together a good eating and exercise plan to help them to achieve their weight loss target. This would be in the form of tips and advice as opposed to one to one support.

Someone who could provide suggested exercise plan(s) and eating plans for inclusion on our facebook page that would assist people. We dont have any of that expertise in house so would love if someone out there could help us in those specific areas??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hi Charity,

I know Colm mentioned this to me briefly this afternoon, we would be more than happy to have you out to Sandyford and give whatever we can from nutrition advice to workouts for all of you. Its a great cause and you help out some very vulnerable people, we would love to lend a hand,

Tom, www.crossfit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kinemove

Hi Charityslim,

If you can post the facebook groupname we can also post you some standard program and advices to start with.
    Also check this link to hit print and start making changes from rite now: http://www.kinemove.com/home/km-success-program/description

Please dont hesitate on getting in touch with us with any further help that we can provide. Br.

Advertisement