Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea - water problems

Options
  • 07-01-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone in Loughrea without water this morning, besides myself? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

Have been without since New Year's day due to frozen pipes. If yours is now frozen I would advise you to conserve water any way you can in case you will be without until a thaw. Your main tank in the attic will keep things ticking over for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I'm hoping this may explain the lack of mains water this morning:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Water Supply Disruptions PDF

I'll know for sure when I get home from work frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

I have no water today in Loughrea but my next door neighbour has, I have been up in the attic but nothing frozen up there so I think its out side its frozen.

shnethb wrote: »
    I have no water today in Loughrea but my next door neighbour has, I have been up in the attic but nothing frozen up there so I think its out side its frozen.
    This is how our problem started too. The stopcock was totally frozen and even after we defrosted it, we still have to water. So the pipe between the mains and the house is frozen somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

From RTÉ news: A water standpipe will be available for people to fill containers at the Fire Station on Barrack Street, Loughrea, until 9pm each evening.

Thankfully my water came back last night.

• Advertisement

Yet another bout of cold weather and no water AGAIN!
    I think the developers should be made come back, and either insulate the ground pipes or bury them deeper!! Arrrrrgghh!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

This is absolute freak weather, once in a lifetime stuff. I've no water myself but nothing you can do. Just grin and bear it, and get a barrel to wash in!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    This is absolute freak weather, once in a lifetime stuff.

Twice in one year isnt exactly once in a lifetime.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Twice in one year isnt exactly once in a lifetime.
    I agree, I think, like our extra wet summers, our more severe winters are going to become the norm!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kallisto73

Our water went on 22nd of December. Even with the thaw, it has not come back. Yesterday, I saw people in the estate trying to defrost the stop cocks.
    Yesterday, the heating went as well (no more water).
    Has it improved where you are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

It may not be frozen stock cocks that is causing the problem, if it is estate wide then it is probably a burst water mains that is the problem. Thats what is causing the problem in our estate in Loughrea as far as we know. There is a water tanker outside the fire station, best fill up some drums for the moment, it might be a while before we get back to normal supply.

Thanks, Paulus. The problem is more the heating than anything. Because now, there is no pressure to put the remaining water into the radiators. So, while I can get water from Barrack St. heating is a different matter...

I'll ring the council tomorrow and see what they have to say for themselves.

Yeah, heating will be a pain alright, thankfully though it is nowhere near as cold as it was a few days ago. But we are supposed to drop in temps from thursday. Hopefully you get sorted before then though

Ours finally came back this morning. Big relief.

I called the plumber after realising that my neighbour had water.
    My stop cock was frozen alright. He sorted that out and (while doing that) discovered a leak in my heating system and replaced the leaking valve (which is a closed system, so I should have had heating all the time in spite of the water mains being cut off).
    Anyways, he fixed that as well and checked the whole system including the attic and each radiator.
    He spent 90 minutes and only charged 45 Euros. Great serivce, great price. Am totally relieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 niko77

any info for water problem

Good to hear Kallisto, it must be a relief to turn the tap and see water flowing out. Its something we take for granted.
    As far as i can tell, water is coming back on in our estate, but there is no notice of any restirctions placed on us by Galway County Council on their website.

Our water returned this evening, finally. We were kinda prepared as we had the bath filled before our water went. But it is amazing how much you take running water for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 niko77

is back yahoooooooooo:D:D:D

Water cut off again.
    Last night, everything was fine. This morning at 9 am: No water. Stop cock definitely not frozen anymore, checked myself.
    Can't get a hold of the council and the neighbours have left for new year's.
    Anyone else without water this morning in Loughrea, Danesfort estate?

• Advertisement

Yip me :(

Was back fullblast yesterday morning then this morning the pressure was crap. Dont know what its like now as I am at work.

Am across the road from you in Eden Park.

High Tilly! Alright. This gives me some hope. I spoke to my plumber and he believes it's the general grid rather than the house (because I had full service restored yesterday, could run a full dishwasher, no problem. Tank in attic filled nicely, the works).

I will post again later today. It would be great if you could perhaps post an update tonight when you're back from work so that I have more info when I call the council tomorrow (they're convenientyl closed today, and no update on their website either...)

Its gone, just rang home there :(

Why are the council closed today? Its not a bank holiday..

Will let you know if it comes back tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Some of the council lads will be out fixing leaks today - whether or not they have someone answering phones is a different matter. The reservoir is nearly empty and those of us living in Eden Park, Danesfort Drive, Droim Na Cille or Ard Breeda are at a high point of the town, so there may not be enough pressure in the system to get water to us.

A pain in the arse but I imagine it's a nightmare to fix too - hopefully this is the last day of it though!

I doubt if it will be the last day, i'd keep any containers filled for the next week or so. I have 7 * 5 litre bottles of water under the stairs that i will keep replenished. Boil any water you get from the tanks the council provide. There are a lot of leaks, and it hasn;t rained anyway near enough to replenish the suppies, so there may be a lot of evenign shut offs of the water system.
    The council boys are goign to be very busy for the next while.
    The next problem will be the massive pot holes. Coming into Loughrea from the Woodford road, just before the lake car park, looks like it has been under motar attack

Kallisto73 wrote: »
    Water cut off again.
    Last night, everything was fine. This morning at 9 am: No water. Stop cock definitely not frozen anymore, checked myself.
    Can't get a hold of the council and the neighbours have left for new year's.
    Anyone else without water this morning in Loughrea, Danesfort estate?
    Yip, our water came back last night, but it's giving us trouble today - not a solid flow of water.

Reports from home is the water is back but I dont know what the pressure is like..

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Why are the council closed today? Its not a bank holiday..

It actually IS a bank holiday today, just not a public holiday. Hence the banks are closed. But that doesnt explain why the Council isnt open.

My neighbour confirmed the water outage.

However, water came back on in the afternoon here in Danesfort. But pressure is, shall we say, variable.

Friends in Kinvarra were cut off as well. Apparently, in many areas supplies are getting cut off without prior notice. There have been complaints from many hotels and restaurants on the coast.
    Will ring council tomorrow and find out if they will post the outage times etc.

• Advertisement

The council have updated their website:
    ###
    There will be night time disruptions to
    supply on all Council schemes due to
    the level of demand outstripping water
    production capacity.
    Night time restrictions between 9 p.m. and
    9 a.m.

There will also day time intermittent
    disruptions to supply to facilitate
    repairs and this will also be county
    wide.
    ###

This explains why there is intermittent water supply during the day (ours cut out around 5 pm again, no pressure).

Advertisement