Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loughrea - water problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bubs82

we are in danesfort no water since 5 yest eve!! its a torture now. any one else still without water

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kallisto73

Am in Danesfort Court.
    This morning around 7:30, water gushed through the pipes, must have opened the service somewhere, tank filled up etc. Tried just now: Some water from tap, but I'm not ecstatic about pressure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

And they want us to pay for this?
    Water gone since 23rd luckily was at the in-laws until tuesday ,since then some water yesterday morning(tank in attic full maybe) and that's it.
    Called loughrea council office they said it is under restriction and to call back in the afternoon for an update.
    Anne monaghan is who I was talking to.
    She stated that there are burst pipes all over the place and they are repairing them.
    Catch 22 as they cannot fix the burst pipes when there is no water passing through them I.e. fixing them when they are turned off at night.
    Pain in the bum how are we/they never prepared for any eventuality.
    Sick of it.

seanin4711 wrote: »
    And they want us to pay for this?
    Called loughrea council office they said it is under restriction and to call back in the afternoon for an update.
    Anne monaghan is who I was talking to.
    She stated that there are burst pipes all over the place and they are repairing them.

Hiya

Do you have the number for her? I cant seem to find it anywhere?

Thanks

Kallisto73 wrote: »
    The council have updated their website:
    ###
    There will be night time disruptions to
    supply on all Council schemes due to
    the level of demand outstripping water
    production capacity.
    Night time restrictions between 9 p.m. and
    9 a.m.

There will also day time intermittent
    disruptions to supply to facilitate
    repairs and this will also be county
    wide.
    ###

This explains why there is intermittent water supply during the day (ours cut out around 5 pm again, no pressure).

just wondering where you got the info?
    thanks
    j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Sorry, Seanin, only got your message just now. Thanks Paulus for posting the link.

Bubs82 wrote: »
    Hiya

Do you have the number for her? I cant seem to find it anywhere?

Thanks

The council were just at my water mains and turned it on (even though I had turned it on when i came back from holidays)and now have water!
    I am at #85 they said that they are turngin it on but if it is bad (# of leaks found )they may have to turn it off again.
    Get in there while you can!!!!
    Flush your loos!
    Grab your showers!
    Put on a wash for your undies!!!

091841536 ann monaghan Loughrea office Galway co co

thanks a mill!!! I have just ran around for the past hour getting so much done!!! hopefully it stays on now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Hi, We are in Ard Breeda, We were away until Monday, When we got home we had no water but our neighbours have, We Still have no water but some of our neighbours do,

Any Ideas

• Advertisement

shnethb wrote: »
    Hi, We are in Ard Breeda, We were away until Monday, When we got home we had no water but our neighbours have, We Still have no water but some of our neighbours do,

Any Ideas

Hiya we were away as well and only came back on tues. My husband went out to the water drain thing at front of house opened that and there was a big block off ice in it. si he defrosted that and our water was back. well until they turned it off :)

Same here. We only got our water back on Tuesday because I had the plumber in who defrosted the stop cock. Water came on fine, until it was cut off by the council.
    I checked again yesterday morning (to be sure, because I had no idea the council had cut us off). The stop cock was working but icy cold. So, poured hot water in, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Bubs82 wrote: »
    Hiya we were away as well and only came back on tues. My husband went out to the water drain thing at front of house opened that and there was a big block off ice in it. si he defrosted that and our water was back. well until they turned it off :)

So is it possible that we pipes are in working order now but the water is turned off by the council.???

shnethb wrote: »
    So is it possible that we pipes are in working order now but the water is turned off by the council.???
    yeah well ours is grand they turned the water back on there again around half 6 or so in our estate (danesfort court)

Yeah, it' now 10:49 and we have excellent water pressure (well, normal water pressure, I should say). It was on the news that the restrictions were going to be eased for today as many people will go out partying for New Year's. Just imagine if pubs couldn't wash up our glasses...:)
    It is expected that the water will be cut again tomorrow. So, if you need to run the washing machine and dish washers, might as well get on with it all today.

:)Happy New Year, one and all!
    With the frosty weather set to come back this week, the council has posted some tips on how to try to prevent the stop cock from freezing:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/WaterServices/PublicNoticesandBoilWaterNotices/
    In essence, what should be done in the first place is to insulate the stop cock outside your property which connects your house to the mains:

At your Stopcock or meter: Find some material which would be a poor conductor of moisture e.g. aero board, flooring underlay, insulation
    products generally. Fill the space around your
    stopcock/meter to prevent cold frosty air direct contact
    with the stopcock/meter. Straw, attic insulation, even
    cloth but put them into a plastic bag first to prevent
    moisture penetration.

Your service pipe between your stopcock/meter and your house:
    Typically this will be under the driveway or garden.
    This pipe should be buried at least one and a half feet
    below ground and should be lagged. Parking a car over
    such a pipe where it is under a driveway can be helpful
    where it is not properly buried.

In your attic: Lag all pipes, all tanks, consider leaving attic hatches
    open, fit heater lamps connected to thermostats, inspect
    tank regularly during frosty weather and if ice starts to
    form break it up regularly and make sure the stopcock is
    working.

I opened my stop cock today and the compartment was full of water. I drained it (using kitchen towels) and then put in little garbage sacks full of packaging peanuts to insulate all round.

In addition, I found an Irish company that has patented a "stop cock cosy" following the 2010 cold snap. I have ordered this device and will let you know how I get on.

I hope that the new cold spell this week will not affect you guys too badly.

Happy 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Any update on this? Have been away for a few days, am I likely to have water this evening or not?!

We've had water in DFC all weekend and just now I checked, the cold water from the tap downstairs is running fine.
    Have you checked your stop cock? I drained mine to avoid it from freezing up again.

Advertisement