Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players to watch for 2010

• 07-01-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any guidance on any youngster who might be one to look out for 2010?

Form me I'm looking forward to seeing Kevin Long in the Premiership...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i can't wait to see Aaron Ramsey get more game time for Arsenal.

looks a f*cking brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The new manager might have no plans for him at all.

Edit Kevin Long that is.

For Chelsea,

Kakuta(1st team) - Player with unbelievable talent, will hopefully get some game time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2O9qRkXIyU

Sturridge(1st team) - Signed from City I honestly believe he will be world class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSPgxgPl3aE

Conor Clifford(Reserves) - Signed from Crumlin a few years ago, was captain of the youths made the step up to reserves this season and has settled in nicely and scoring a few goals from centre mid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoAeJ7HIoY Near the end.

Danny Mills(Reserves) - 16 yr old giant center half. The next John Terry. :)

The last two not in the Premier League in 2010 but their time will come hopefully for Clifford's for Chelsea. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nathan Delfouneso at Villa, im hoping this is the year that he shows how much potential he has. Scored against Blackburn last week

on the Liverpool front, Dani Pacheco.

i'm dying to see him get more game time.

he's torn up the reserve leagues in previous years, and has already played for us in the Champions League proper in the dead rubber game against Fiorentina. i was there, and he and Torres looked very sharp as a combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

fabian delph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

For Arsenal, Ramsey is fantastic. Really is the biggest talent coming through.

Wilshire and Vela are great prospects too but, maybe need to bulk up a bit before they are ready. Vela is further along in terms of development.

Gibbs looks a very good player and will give Clichy a run for his money, pity about the injury.

Other highly thought of youngsters, maybe for the future would be Szczęsny (5 apps for Brentford)

Lansbury (21 apps for Watford, 2 goals & 3 assists)

Simpson (22 apps for QPR, 10 goals)

Pretty much in order of how good I think they'll be!

EDIT: Definitely left out loads but, I dont know enough about the rest to comment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Johner wrote: »
    The new manager might have no plans for him at all.

Edit Kevin Long that is.

For Chelsea,

Kakuta(1st team) - Player with unbelievable talent, will hopefully get some game time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2O9qRkXIyU

Sturridge(1st team) - Signed from City I honestly believe he will be world class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSPgxgPl3aE

Conor Clifford(Reserves) - Signed from Crumlin a few years ago, was captain of the youths made the step up to reserves this season and has settled in nicely and scoring a few goals from centre mid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoAeJ7HIoY Near the end.

Danny Mills(Reserves) - 16 yr old giant center half. The next John Terry. :)

The last two not in the Premier League in 2010 but their time will come hopefully for Clifford's for Chelsea. :)

I fear you may be right, but we don't know who the new manager will be yet so hopefully somebody will come in and give him a chance.

As for Clifford, surely he's too you to make any sort of breakthrough this season-particularly at Chelsea.

Yeah I know, I meant for the reserves. He only stepped into the reserves this season and is doing very well. Hopefully his form continues for the reserves in 2010.

jasonorr wrote: »
    EDIT: Definitely left out loads but, I dont know enough about the rest to comment!

I like Eastmond I have to say, he may not set the world alight but he's a neat and tidy defender/midfielder. I think he could leap frog a few to carve himself a place in the first team squad by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea have some serious talented youth for a change 2010 will be too soon but watch this space. Clifford will obv lead Chelsea to titles and Ireland to the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ramsey and Vela.

Also Bendtner is going to have a great year I think.

There's plenty of other Arsenal youth prospects to watch out for, but this year, these are the main 1st team ones to keep an eye on imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ramsey and Vela.

Also Bendtner is going to have a great year I think.

There's plenty of other Arsenal youth prospects to watch out for, but this year, these are the main 1st team ones to keep an eye on imo.

I hope you're right about Vela...I'm just not sure at the moment whether he'll be able to make himself a permanent fixture at the club. He has an abundance of talent, I'm just waiting to see him reproduce some of the form he showed, in the Carling Cup, for the first team. He really needs to bulk up though.

As for Bendtner, I left him out as I already rate him quite highly and if he can stay injury free, I think a lot of people who don't will see his true worth!

As for Bendtner, I left him out as I already rate him quite highly and if he can stay injury free, I think a lot of people who don't will see his true worth!

Aint it the truth. A player who got 15 goals in a season while primarily playing in the MR position and people still seem to think he needs to prove his worth?

Aint it the truth. A player who got 15 goals in a season while primarily playing in the MR position and people still seem to think he needs to prove his worth?

That's why I included him, so many people think he's terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

But isnt bendtner established at this stage. Think OP was referring to new players.

But isnt bendtner established at this stage. Think OP was referring to new players.

Just says 'Players to Watch' not 'Youth Prospects to Watch Develop'.

I think this will be a big year for Bendtner.

Just says 'Players to Watch' not 'Youth Prospects to Watch Develop'.

I think this will be a big year for Bendtner.
    Yes he had a good season last year. But seems to have fallen a bit behind in terms of the pecking order since.

He has been injured since November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jovetic off Fiorentina will move to a big(ger) team in the Summer imo. He is a great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Our Centre half,Dedrick Boyata who made his debut against M'Boro in the FA Cup,he would have started agaisnt United aswell that would have been interesting to see.He's big and also calm on the ball, the only worry Ican see if he's up agaisnt someone fast like Torres or Defoe for example.

Liam O wrote: »
    Jovetic off Fiorentina will move to a big(ger) team in the Summer imo. He is a great player.
    what position does he play in?

Yes he had a good season last year. But seems to have fallen a bit behind in terms of the pecking order since.

Injured since October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

He misses a lot of good chances. Chances he should be putting away blindfolded.
    He also tends to give the ball away a lot. Too often his holding up of the ball is poor and puts pressure back on Arsenal instead of relieving them from pressure.
    He'll improve though and he'll be a good player for Arsenal.
    I think himself and Eduardo will work very well together in van Persie's absence.

Injured since October
    Well expect him to take awhile to return to full fitness. Look at Torres who has been struggling since this summer. Its asking a lot of him to return to where he was in that short space of time.
    When he is due back anyway

Well expect him to take awhile to return to full fitness. Look at Torres who has been struggling since this summer. Its asking a lot of him to return to where he was in that short space of time.
    When he is due back anyway

Started back training on Tuesday. Due back against Bolton on the 17th.

I'd imagine it till be February before we see him start a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

from a man united point of view, I don't think there are any young players that will make a break through over the next few months.

Obvioulsy, Kiko and Welbeck will be looked at, but to my mind they aren't so much ones to watch at this point. Maybe Fabio would be one that would come under 'one to watch' as he hasn't really had a proper shot yet due to injuries (and Evra)

From the perspective of reserve/youth team players I feel they are all still a bit too young.

In general terms, there are a good number that I would keep an eye on over the next couple of years.

Petrucci is a wonderfully talented player, who we have seen nothing of in 2009 due to an injury picked up in February (think growing pains were involved). He came back into the youth side towards the end of the year, so hopefully he can kick on in 2010 and push for a carling cup team spot in the 2010/11 season. An Attacking Midfielder/Forward, likened to Totti.

Josh King is another striker coming through the ranks at United. Tall, powerfull and very very quick. Good finisher too and has really worked on that area of his game. Came on late in one of the CC ties earlier this season iirc - another striker United have high hopes for.

Magnus Eikrem is a technically gifted youngster - though 19 now. Brilliant passer of the ball and excellent with set pieces. Plays MC or MR (more so a central player). Reminds me a lot of Scholes in terms of his development. Very much a late bloomer physically, shot up over the last year, and has had his development hampered by a problem with his nose/breathing, which he had an operation for recently. Still some way to go in order to push through at United but he has a chance - surprised he has not been involved with the CC team this season to be honest.

Ollie Norwood, a NI youth international is another MC/MR player. more robust physically than Eikrem but another great passer of the ball and another excellent striker of the dead ball. More combative than Eikrem.

Ryan Tunicliff (sp) is young full back that has been making a name for himself this season. Very strong in the tackle (think Wes Brown...) and loves to burst forward from fullback - does so with more strength and power rather than feniese like the Da Silva twins.

Paul Pogba is the young lad from Le Harve that United were in bother about in the summer, and quite frankly he looks well worth the trouble. Big, powerfull with quick feet. Plays CM and does everything - plays for the U18's and simply dominates; already too good for that level imo. Could be a real gem of a player. Scored a few for the U18 side this season, and yet another who likes to step up when there is a free kick (though his goals have not come from that).

The real gem in the United youth system at the moment is Ravel Morrison (16). Attacking midfielder or winger, and fantastically talented. Quick, wonderful dribbler of the ball, eye for a pass (and ability to execute it) and deadly in the final third. A regular goal scorer, and a player that many in and around the game are already talking about. The kid has it all and could be a real star. I would, however, have my doubts as to whether he will fulfill his potential, as i'm not sure about his attitude. Very hot headed on the pitch, has been sent off a few times and lucky not to be on other occassions. Also some stories (such as getting nabbed in a car with guns.....) and team mates saying he is a poor trainer (I could be wrong on that) suggest he mightn't be focused as United fans would like. Needs to get his head on straight maybe. Though that could be an inaccurate perception of him.

Matt James is another player I really like. Cultured MC with a good range of passing and a fantastic shot. Burst onto the youth/reserve scene last season, but i haven't seen as much of him this season; not progressing or pushing on as much as I would like. Still young though.

The real gem in the United youth system at the moment is Ravel Morrison (16). Attacking midfielder or winger, and fantastically talented. Quick, wonderful dribbler of the ball, eye for a pass (and ability to execute it) and deadly in the final third. A regular goal scorer, and a player that many in and around the game are already talking about. The kid has it all and could be a real star. I would, however, have my doubts as to whether he will fulfill his potential, as i'm not sure about his attitude. Very hot headed on the pitch, has been sent off a few times and lucky not to be on other occassions. Also some stories (such as getting nabbed in a car with guns.....) and team mates saying he is a poor trainer (I could be wrong on that) suggest he mightn't be focused as United fans would like. Needs to get his head on straight maybe. Though that could be an inaccurate perception of him.
    Re the gun episode Say he needs to drop his mates. Not the sort of publicity United would want i would think. Good post there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Re the gun episode Say he needs to drop his mates. Not the sort of publicity United would want i would think. Good post there.

Talk he has a kid on the way too - not sure about that though. I can't quite understand his facebook page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

He only really started playing in the right side of midfield at the end of last season and this season.

Looking at his goals tally, he looks good, but actually watching him, he is very poor, clumsy and not a good finisher/passer. Very frustrating to watch at times. A lot to prove before he is Arsenal-standard.

Not sure about Vela and Merida anymore, and Wilshire is probably a couple of years away from making a big impact unless he gets a loan move. Just looking forward to Ramsey who is amazing. And maybe Djorou if he gets a run free from injury.

Could Macheda make a big impact for United this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Gareth Bale. Should get a bit of gametime now Assou-Ekotto is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I'd be very interested to see how Nile Ranger does for newcastle in the second half of the season, he is usually only getting substitute appearences for Newcastle but if he gets a run in the team then i have alot of confidence that he will do well. He scores non stop for the reserves, think its time for him to step up to the plate.

Could Macheda make a big impact for United this year?
    they'll be asking the same question in ten years time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Pacheco for Liverpool is a superb prospect. I just fear that Rafa Benitez won't play him while he is feeling the pressure as manager.
    Instead of putting 2 centre backs on the bench for every game, surely he could stick Dani on the bench more often than not?

they'll be asking the same question in ten years time

to save Utd fans pilloring you.

if he never makes another big impact again, he can tell his grandkids about last year.

more of a decisive impact most players make in their entire careers.

italian b*stard.

;)

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    to save Utd fans pilloring you.

if he never makes another big impact again, he can tell his grandkids about last year.

more of a decisive impact most players make in their entire careers.

italian b*stard.

;)
    Football is full of players who scored goals like that and then disappeared. anyway looks like he is wanted elsewhere.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=721941&cc=5739

markesmith wrote: »
    Gareth Bale. Should get a bit of gametime now Assou-Ekotto is injured.

Has he managed to win a game yet? Apart from that time he come on at 86 minutes just so he could finally say he was part of a winning team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Danny Mills(Reserves)

:eek: Jaysus, another one.

Just don't sign him to a long term contract.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

what position does he play in?

You're a Liverpool fan yeah? Therefore you should remember this guy:pac:

He's a forward, pacy and skillful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

hes a muppet seen him a few times gettin locked in the arc in clondalkin hed get a batin if chelsea knew thought.i wudn touch a drop until i made it if i were him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Pacheco for Liverpool is a superb prospect. I just fear that Rafa Benitez won't play him while he is feeling the pressure as manager.
    Instead of putting 2 centre backs on the bench for every game, surely he could stick Dani on the bench more often than not?

Rafa hardly ever names 2 CBs on the subs bench ???.
    With Dossena and Voronin on the way out, and Maxi arriving in, I think there will be slightly less competition for Pacheco.
    If Babel leaves as well, it will mean even less competition for Dani.
    Also don't forget the Europa League games, which definately seem like a reasonable option for games.
    I think with Pacheco the main thing holding him back is his age/physicality.
    I think Rafa doesn't want to rush him too fast.

I'm also hopeful Kelly gets a run at RB with Johnson out. Long term I think he is one of Liverpool's most serious prospects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Paul Anderson - Liverpool's loss is Forest's gain :pac::pac:

mrDerek wrote: »
    hes a muppet seen him a few times gettin locked in the arc in clondalkin hed get a batin if chelsea knew thought.i wudn touch a drop until i made it if i were him

The lad's 18 in fairness (maybe 17 when you seen him) sure it only took a couple of drinks to knock ya out back then and sure we are all like that for a phase. I'm sure he wouldn't last too long at Chelsea if he was still at it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pedro(already breaking records) and Thiago for Barca.
    Gonalons and Tafer for Lyon.
    Thomas Müller for Bayern Munich.

carlop wrote: »
    You're a Liverpool fan yeah? Therefore you should remember this guy:pac:

He's a forward, pacy and skillful.
    And i had just forgotten about him. Thanks for the reminder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

mrDerek wrote: »
    17 year old back at home from one of the best clubs in the world comes home and gets locked? He's done. I remember one lad who used to do that, think his name was Roy Keane. Ruined his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Seamus Coleman.

/thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'd be very interested to see how Nile Ranger does for newcastle in the second half of the season, he is usually only getting substitute appearences for Newcastle but if he gets a run in the team then i have alot of confidence that he will do well. He scores non stop for the reserves, think its time for him to step up to the plate.
    What about "super" Andy Carroll?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Rafa hardly ever names 2 CBs on the subs bench ???.
    With Dossena and Voronin on the way out, and Maxi arriving in, I think there will be slightly less competition for Pacheco.
    If Babel leaves as well, it will mean even less competition for Dani.
    Also don't forget the Europa League games, which definately seem like a reasonable option for games.
    I think with Pacheco the main thing holding him back is his age/physicality.
    I think Rafa doesn't want to rush him too fast.

I'm also hopeful Kelly gets a run at RB with Johnson out. Long term I think he is one of Liverpool's most serious prospects.

I beg to differ with ya there mate. Since we have had a fully fit defence, Rafa has regularly had Skrtel and Krygiakos on the bench.

I agree with you on Martin Kelly however, great prospect. Will do a great job at full back before moving into the centre of defence in the long term.

Seamus Coleman.

/thread.
    Times have him down as one of people to watch out for in their weekend supplement (not sports section). From Sligo Rovers now doing his apprenticeship at Everton. How good is he?

• Advertisement
Advertisement