Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players to watch for 2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

CHD wrote: »
    17 year old back at home from one of the best clubs in the world comes home and gets locked? He's done. I remember one lad who used to do that, think his name was Roy Keane. Ruined his career.

different players
    different times
    you would never get away with what roy keane did back in his day in the modern game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Has he managed to win a game yet? Apart from that time he come on at 86 minutes just so he could finally say he was part of a winning team?
    Ya think he has a few sub wins people don't seem to realise that he only turned 20 in the past few weeks he's very young great going forward but his defending leaves a lot to be desired at the moment

Dos Santos tho if he gets a run in the team could be top class only 19 too so another one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dos Santos tho if he gets a run in the team could be top class only 19 too so another one for the future.

This, I had high hopes for him when he came to the Premiership and haven't even seen him play more than once or twice.

Is he still injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No recently recovered from an ankle injury got a run out against Stoke when Harry tried to shake things up but haven't seen anything else could be making a loan move to ipswich where he played the end of last season and actually did very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Giovanni dos Santos brother Jonathan will likely make a big impact in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Times have him down as one of people to watch out for in their weekend supplement (not sports section). From Sligo Rovers now doing his apprenticeship at Everton. How good is he?

He's the best Irish right back at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Come on now don't be silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Gary deegan!!! good player loves the ball at his feet defo one to watch at coventry!!!

major bill wrote: »
    Gary deegan!!! good player loves the ball at his feet defo one to watch at coventry!!!

Is he getting playing for them at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

grenache wrote: »
    What about "super" Andy Carroll?? :D

He's very inconsistent these days, some games he can be "super" as you put it, but in others he can be anonymous. I honestly think if his head is right on the day he can be a very good player, interesting to see how he progresses throughout the rest of the season!

Johner wrote: »
    Come on now don't be silly.

Name one better? Paul McShane?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

He's very inconsistent these days, some games he can be "super" as you put it, but in others he can be anonymous. I honestly think if his head is right on the day he can be a very good player, interesting to see how he progresses throughout the rest of the season!
    Without meaning to be unkind to the lad, i think he's very limited, and seems a bit of a one trick pony. I am struggling to see what all the Toon fans are fussing over with him. Any game i've seen him play in, he's been at best, an average Championship striker. That said he's young so maybe he'll prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Name one better? Paul McShane?:p
    John O Shea :rolleyes:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Looking forward to seeing Eduardo Salvio and Angel Di Maria on bigger stages this year.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    John O Shea :rolleyes:.

24qtxjm.jpg

Watch him set up Everton's recovery here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Come on now be realistic, he is a definite talent and one to watch but the guy has done nothing yet. At this moment he is not Ireland's best RB, I'd much prefer John O'Shea or Stephen Kelly. His time will come though and it could very well be this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

SlickRic wrote: »
    on the Liverpool front, Dani Pacheco.

i'm dying to see him get more game time.

he's torn up the reserve leagues in previous years, and has already played for us in the Champions League proper in the dead rubber game against Fiorentina. i was there, and he and Torres looked very sharp as a combination.

My choice too, Benitez is not best manager at given new talent a chance, in fact its one thing i don't like about him,
    Pacheco could be doing a job for us already,
    i remember a time when new talent were throw into first team, owen,fowler,macmanaman,rednap,gerrard,carra,,
    who has benitez brought through, even babel doesnt get a chance,,he has never played for liverpool,so how can he be labelled a flop,
    he comes on with 15 mins to go in games were losing,and if we dont get draw or win he's to blame, its shame,
    Alex ferugson would play him! and play him and play him and play him,,wenger would also..just like he did with dennis bergkamp,he was a labelled a flop after 5 weeks at arsenal, yea we know de rest,,,,just like alex does with nani,,
    then you have a player full of confidence,, nani is not a great player,but he sure does strut around like he's a world beater, while babel clearly has no confidence,can see it in his eyes,
    my point is even Ronaldo would not be in a benitez side, Pacheco looks like an exciting player,so i cant see him been involved at liverpool much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

argosy2006 wrote: »
    My choice too, Benitez is not best manager at given new talent a chance, in fact its one thing i don't like about him,
    Pacheco could be doing a job for us already,
    i remember a time when new talent were throw into first team, owen,fowler,macmanaman,rednap,gerrard,carra,,
    who has benitez brought through, even babel doesnt get a chance,,he has never played for liverpool,so how can he be labelled a flop,
    he comes on with 15 mins to go in games were losing,and if we dont get draw or win he's to blame, its shame,
    Alex ferugson would play him! and play him and play him and play him,,wenger would also..just like he did with dennis bergkamp,he was a labelled a flop after 5 weeks at arsenal, yea we know de rest,,,,just like alex does with nani,,
    then you have a player full of confidence,, nani is not a great player,but he sure does strut around like he's a world beater,
    while babel clearly has no confidence,can see it in his eyes,
    my point is even Ronaldo would not be in a benitez side, Pacheco looks like an exciting player,so i cant see him been involved at liverpool much

Non of the bolded part is true apart from the bit about Nani not being very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL. Really starting to enjoy your posts.

O Shea is streets ahead of him , while Finnan and Carr are playing well for their clubs, even Steven Kelly while no great shakes has done far more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Frisbee wrote: »
    Ramsey and Vela.

Also Bendtner is going to have a great year I think.

There's plenty of other Arsenal youth prospects to watch out for, but this year, these are the main 1st team ones to keep an eye on imo.

Frisbee, you have man love for Vela, it's clouding your judgement. He's average enough who will eventually move on to an average career.

You need to let him go!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Why? Because you're from Sligo? And he played for Sligo Rovers? He's had as much sh!t games for Everton than good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

monkey9 wrote: »
    Frisbee, you have man love for Vela, it's clouding your judgement. He's average enough who will eventually move on to an average career.

I've been massively disappointed with every single performance Vela has put in so far this year barring last Sunday against West Ham, and have said as much many a time on the Arsenal thread.

Ramsey and Vela are both great prospects, and certainly, as the thread says, Ones to Watch in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Melion wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Eduardo Salvio and Angel Di Maria on bigger stages this year.

Thought we signed him 2 or 3 years ago, can't remember what happened but, it must have been fairly close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Coleman is one for the future but to say he is the best Irish right back after about 2 appearances (not even full apperances at that) in a high standard league, is nothing short of damn right f*cking hilarious.

Let him perform in the Premiership for a year or two and then you may have a case.

Why? Because you're from Sligo? And he played for Sligo Rovers? He's had as much sh!t games for Everton than good!

He had one poor game for Everton where he was playing left back against Benfica, a position that is a distaster for the lad. He can play anywhere down the right, but nowhere else which maybe is his one downfall.

When were his other bad games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

He had one poor game for Everton where he was playing left back against Benfica, a position that is a distaster for the lad. He can play anywhere down the right, but nowhere else which maybe is his one downfall.

When were his other bad games?
    Yes to be fair Times went out of their way to give him a plug in their plug in people to watch in 2010. The group also included people from other walks of life.
    Will be interesting to see who he copes with the rigour of the premiership though. Did you see Stephen Ward in the Wolves game Sligo Brewer against Liverpool. The full back position can be a very unforgiving position at times. Ward a good prospect but got a bit of a pasting that day.
    Would be nice if the likes of Ward, Coleman, Fahey etc start making some progress in the second half of season if only to up the LOI's profile. Fahey I think has a lot of potential but understand injuries have not been kind to him so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Yes to be fair Times went out of their way to give him a plug in their plug in people to watch in 2010. The group also included people from other walks of life.
    Will be interesting to see who he copes with the rigour of the premiership though. Did you see Stephen Ward in the Wolves game Sligo Brewer against Liverpool. The full back position can be a very unforgiving position at times. Ward a good prospect but got a bit of a pasting that day.
    Would be nice if the likes of Ward, Coleman, Fahey etc start making some progress in the second half of season if only to up the LOI's profile. Fahey I think has a lot of potential but understand injuries have not been kind to him so far.

conor powell off bohs is a much brighter prospect than ward id say he will be making the move across the water pretty soon either with fenlons new club dundee united or somewhere in england. im saying this cos when ward was at bohs people knew he would move but with powell we know theres something special there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

He was very good at Osasuna. Wouldn't write him off that easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

major bill wrote: »
    conor powell off bohs is a much brighter prospect than ward id say he will be making the move across the water pretty soon either with fenlons new club dundee united or somewhere in england. im saying this cos when ward was at bohs people knew he would move but with powell we know theres something special there.
    Good to see some of the LOI players getting a run across the water. Ideally speaking would be better if players were attracted to play over here. But would require an awful lot of cash injection to be put into clubs most of whom seem to be struggling at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement