Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD staff member 10 years in hotel

• 07-01-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

From Yesterdays Indo about the Montrose closing

Long-term guest Gary Moss (60) from Galway, who works as the commercial manager in UCD, has stayed at the hotel three nights a week for 10 years. He said the sudden closure of the hotel was "very sad, a terrible loss....It's been a nice old-fashioned hotel"

I hope UCD didnt pay for this guy to spend ten years in a hotel.

Seems very Alan Partridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Interesting little piece of info. Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If UCD paid for him to stay in a hotel for 3 nights a week for 10 years, there had better be something done about it! shocking altogether

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's crazy - I presume he's paying for it himself. He must be from Down the country somewhere... wonder why he didn't take a unit in Glenomena?

EDIT: saw he's from Galway, that explains it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Montrose is closing?? :eek:

I worked there as a students many moons ago. Great memories of the place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If he had a deal with them it could have easily cost less then him renting a place in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Love the Alan Partridge reference....wonder did that guy have an extra large plate for the breakfast buffet like Alan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Boston wrote: »
    If he had a deal with them it could have easily cost less then him renting a place in Dublin.

True

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Boston wrote: »
    peanuthead wrote: »
    True

True, if he was footing the bill himself. You can be pretty sure if UCD (taxxpayer) was paying it was full price!

A guy I worked with before negotiated a 20 euro a night rate in a 4 star city centre hotel because he was going to be here for a year working. Hard bargaining!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Pity about the Montrose closing, was there a few weeks back for a UCD quiz and the bar is really nice. Heard it'll be back open in a few months. The Burlington did the same a few years ago and no it's busier than ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

...I think I made a joke like this ages ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61824864&postcount=10

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Its only closing temporarily. They said they're going to be re-opening in mid-march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Its only closing temporarily. They said they're going to be re-opening in mid-march.

What they're saying and what will happen could very well turn out to be differnt though in three months time.

edit: That sounded too ominous on its own. I do hope it opens again in three months time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The Montrose is owned by Superquinn, whose current owners actually bought the chain for the sites, not the actual grocery business. The motivation was that a lot of the Superquinn sites were underdeveloped and had single-storey centres on them. Like the Superquinn centres, they were going to demolish the Montrose and build apartments, but obviously not happening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its cheaper to close for the quiet season than to keep a load of staff on in an empty hotel. Would be suprised if the bar closed as its always pretty busy.

Anyway on topic if anyone from the Tribune/Observer is reading this would be nice if some investigative journalism was done rather than the usual rubbish. Look forward to reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I know two guys who lived there for a semester last year. They would spend Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night there and then go home for the weekend.

They negotiated €20 a night which worked out at just over 300 a month, didn't have any electricity/tv bills so, bar food, thats all they had to pay. It included B&B so they'd stock up for lunch and then just buy dinner.

They found a nice place to live so moved out for the second semester. Must've been weird living in a hotel, but kinda cool at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jimmyfixit

Wow thats a sweet sweet deal. Its half the cost of my rent. To late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I know two guys who lived there for a semester last year. They would spend Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night there and then go home for the weekend.

They negotiated €20 a night which worked out at just over 300 a month, didn't have any electricity/tv bills so, bar food, thats all they had to pay. It included B&B so they'd stock up for lunch and then just buy dinner.

They found a nice place to live so moved out for the second semester. Must've been weird living in a hotel, but kinda cool at the same time.

Sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

Even if it was 20 euro a night its still the bones
    of 30k over 10 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

3 nights a week, 26 academic weeks in a year, 10 years,

26 x 10 x 3 x 20 - 15,600 (I think)

Which is like him getting a room in Glenomena for 4 years...

Tbh guys, it was almost certainly cheaper....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jimmyfixit

The commercial manager in UCD works 52 weeks less the holidays a year
    it also pays over 200k a year if you believe the indo. I would live in a hotel to make that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement