Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to drive uphill in ice?

• 07-01-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Had an incident this morning on the N2 passing Glasnevin Cemetary driving towards town. There is a bit of an incline for about 100m or so.

All traffic was moving along nicely, taking it handy coming up to it. Then some eejit in a van comes flying up the bus lane and forces his way in ahead of me. I just slowed to let him in rather than risk an accident. Anyway he then lamps on the breaks, so we're both stopped on the hill.

He is sitting there, wheels spinning - going nowhere - and all the traffic comes right up to the back of my car. When I eventually have the chance to move forward there is no grip. I also had another van up my hole flashing his lights :confused:

I eventually got moving again by putting on the handbrake when stopped, turning the wheel left (towards the bus lane) and then doing a hill start in 2nd gear. Got some grip by moving towards the bus lane and was then able to move back out.

I have very little snow / ice driving experience; and I'm thinking I won't bother trying to drive to work until conditions improve. But in case I need to make an emergency car journey - what are the recommended techniques for doing a hill start on ice?

Also, I notice on here a lot of giving out about other drivers (As I have just done :D) - but it may be a help to a lot of people to have a thread about how to drive in a variety of conditions....

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

starting in 2nd gear helps ive found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Depending on the incline, slowly let the clutch out, don't press the accelerator pedal, unless car feels like stalling.

If wheels are spinning, apply handbrake and brakes, try in second gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

So I took the correct course of action? Was a nit nervous though when the van behind me gave me no room to maneouver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yepp, you did the right thing.

The best way to approach icy hills is to keep on going and not stop (and facilitate other drivers to do so as well)

But if you have to stop, leave your frontman enough room to maneuvre, because if he ain't going nowhere, neither are you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If the hill is that bad I will wait 50m or so from the bottom of it until its clear and then take it in one go. Getting stuck on half way is the worst outcome as usually you dont even have anywhere to go back to (due to the goon who followed you too closely)

If its very steep then as above start in 2nd or even 3rd, with very gently acceleration, anything to stop the wheels spinning as on a steep incline spinning wheels will mean you slip backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Avoid Hills :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the hill is that bad I will wait 50m or so from the bottom of it until its clear and then take it in one go. Getting stuck on half way is the worst outcome as usually you dont even have anywhere to go back to (due to the goon who followed you too closely)

If its very steep then as above start in 2nd or even 3rd, with very gently acceleration, anything to stop the wheels spinning as on a steep incline spinning wheels will mean you slip backwards.

That's what everyone (including myself) was doing until your man in the van cut in ahead of me and stopped. I had no option but to stop aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's what everyone (including myself) was doing until your man in the van cut in ahead of me and stopped. I had no option but to stop aswell!
    I know this won't make you feel any more relaxed, but remember also that some icy hills will just be beyond you in your car. If there's not enough grip then all the technique in the world won't help. In that case all you can do is find an alternative route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Anan1 wrote: »
    I know this won't make you feel any more relaxed, but remember also that some icy hills will just be beyond you in your car. If there's not enough grip then all the technique in the world won't help. In that case all you can do is find an alternative route.
    An icy steep uphill often means an icy steep downhill follows! Maybe turn around in that case, cause you can get up an icy hill sometimes with a bit of momentum and low revs, but going down can be a different matter! You'll be going down regardless of what gear your in or how careful you are if they're bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

:D I found out first hand last night on a very steep hill covered in snow.....

1) Face the car backwards

2) Engange Reverse

3) Let half the air out of driving tyres.

3) Revert between 4000 rpm and tick over ,over and over whilst turning left and right until grip is found.

4) When grip is found continue straight path till grip is lost again and then just repeat above method. ( In my case allow for 20 minutes per 100 metres :D )

5) Escape :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Saab Ed wrote: »
    :D I found out first hand last night on a very steep hill covered in snow.....

1) Face the car backwards

2) Engage Reverse

You better qualify that that was with a rear wheel drive car !

Yeah, I heard that partially deflating the tyres was a good tip in a tricky snow situation alright. Probably picked that up from the Top Gear episode where they drove to the North pole !

I also meant to throw a box of dishwasher salt in my boot in case I need to grit a little bit of the road under my tyres if I get stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why hill start in 2nd gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Nah front wheel drive....Corolla Diesel . Useless pile of sh!te that it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

let some air out of your tyres. This improves traction and makes a big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Momentum tapping the throttle in a high gear.
    Be warned when things go wrong momentum will no longer be your friend. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

WindSock wrote: »
    Why hill start in 2nd gear?

Less wheelspin, first gear will just spin the wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Better for the driven wheels to be at the bottom of the slope, that way there's more weight over them.:)

Advertisement