Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

obtaining a gun licence when immigrating from e.u

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

calva wrote: »
    Hi all I want to leave France to live in Ireland but the gun licence system is greatly different to here. I hold a "permit de chasse" which enables me to hold shotguns and rifles which I can use more or less anywhere within my area or anywhere that I am invited by another Permit holder.
    As I understand it for Ireland you need land or landowners permission, how much land is necessary for unresticted shotgun licences? and how much for Rifles?Calva

Is "permis de chasse" a hunting permit? If that is your interest then you could join a gun club and you would not need in that case to acquire individual shooting permissions from landowners.

Note that there is a six month period before you can even apply
    for a firearms cert (Q13).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 calva

The larger calibers are quite common for sanglier shoots(wild boar)although most of these are done on battue(driven shoots) so a slug in a shotgun will do just as well at close range.
    I am well aware of what water does and am not fooled by a trckle in the summer.
    as for salt on roads, I have been stuck here for the last 3 days, they dont run out they just simply dont do it, other than motorways and then not the exits

yes a "permis de chasse" is a hunting permit but you need this to buy/ hold shotguns hunting rifles and ammunition but you do not need to state specific arms on it.
    the military stuff the other guys are talking about cannot be bought or held with this it comes into a higher categorie.
    The clubs are an option to consider, thanks for your sensible and relevant comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Calva,
    OT, but if you are returning here with your car, make sure that you own it for a minimum of six months or you will be hit with a big tax bill (VRT).
    Bonne chance!
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ah sure,he'll pick that up pretty quick around here...
    Just Empty Each Pocket and Expect In Return Nothing [JEEP&EIRN].

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ah sure,he'll pick that up pretty quick around here...
    Just Empty Each Pocket and Expect In Return Nothing [JEEP&EIRN].

and bend over while your at it ........so they can kick you in the ass.... of course:mad:

Yeah cheers pedro if tax is related to value I don't have too much to worry about

Yeah cheers pedro if tax is related to value I don't have too much to worry about

[font=&quot]Calva,
    The tax (Vehicle Registration Tax) is based on the Irish value of the car. Irish car prices are 30 – 40% higher than those in France.[/font] There is a calculator here https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator

You must re-reg it here withing a couple of days or it can be seized.
    Other points worth considering - It is more difficult to insure a LHD car here; it also is more expensive for those who lived abroad. Bring a letter from your current insurers showing your no claims bonus. (bonus/malus.)

My LHD car went back to mainland, thankfully bought by a departing E. European.
    Amities,
    P.

I compared similar vehicles (second hand) for sale on le boin coin and done deal the Irish ones seem to be lower asking prices.Looking at the revenue calculator It appears that like all tax men they think of a nummber then double it and tax you on that basis. It definitly wouldn't be worth bringing a vehicle from here.
    Insurance company's are the same everywhere tey can always make some reason to charge more or not to pay.
    Merci Pedro pour l'info.
    tu vien d'ou ?

I compared similar vehicles (second hand) for sale on le boin coin and done deal the Irish ones seem to be lower asking prices.Looking at the revenue calculator It appears that like all tax men they think of a nummber then double it and tax you on that basis. It definitly wouldn't be worth bringing a vehicle from here.
    Insurance company's are the same everywhere tey can always make some reason to charge more or not to pay.
    Merci Pedro pour l'info.
    tu vien d'ou ?

It's off topic here, but for a fellow shooter.......... You can bring a car in without any tax provided you have owned it for more than 6 months and are transferring residence to Ireland. En ce qui concerne la question, je suis de nationalité irlandaise mais j’ai vécu outre-mer pendant plusieurs années, e.g. en France (Paris et Yvelines), aux Etats Unis (NY) et en Asie (Singapour).
    P.

• Advertisement

Thanks pedro
    Tu a bien bouger comme meme
    salutations
    calva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

interesting thread, i am myself thinking about bringing my guns (two revolvers) to ireland from germany and have been wondering about how to go about that with irish laws, guns licences and all that…if it is at all doable etc…some interesting info here…
    also wondering about good gun clubs i might be able to join in and around dublin…any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nico13

salut calva

email moi je peus , peut etre t'aider pour trouver un club ds les alentour de Kilkenny et je doit admetre que ta decision de revenir ici et un peu suicidaire mais cela ne regarde que toi!

Advertisement