Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer technician

Options
  • 07-01-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi all, i was wondering what qualifications/certs would i need to be reconized as qualified computer technician ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

The A+ from CompTia, its 2 exams.

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

Barrypr wrote: »

is dat all i need ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

john 08 wrote: »
    is dat all i need ??

no but it the one people start with. people usual do the comptia Networking + next followed by some of the MS ones . which will cover server 2003 windows 2000 ,XP vista and 7 primary in the pro/ultimate editions. which will require you to have a level of experience of using them to pass the exams.

bear in mind there are 2 A+ ones at the moment 2007 and 2009. the 2007 exam is being dropped in august . so you need both exams done by then. unless your going for the 2009 exam

for info on all the main certs . free study guides and practice exams see
    http://www.mcmcse.com/
    there A+ practice tests are good example of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I am looking ot take the A+ exams soon, having done some self study, does anybody know if the online exam vouchers are accepted by irish test centres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,if i had a chance to go back in time...i'll do heavily in programming,all .net stuff and vb/vc/java !
    But as i do not have it,i recommend you to do it this way:

-A+
    -N+
    -Server+
    -Linux+
    -CCNA
    -Project +
    -Security+

then ,go with the flow:
    Microsoft 2008 Suite
    Cisco CCNP/CCSP

good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭jos22

ScottStorm wrote: »
    I am looking ot take the A+ exams soon, having done some self study, does anybody know if the online exam vouchers are accepted by irish test centres?

not sure but you can get vouchers from fas if ur on welfare payments if u have registerd with the ecollge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

john 08 wrote: »
    is dat all i need ??

Yeah pretty much, along with some good lab experience.
    rolion wrote: »
    Hi,if i had a chance to go back in time...i'll do heavily in programming,all .net stuff and vb/vc/java !
    But as i do not have it,i recommend you to do it this way:

-A+
    -N+
    -Server+
    -Linux+
    -CCNA
    -Project +
    -Security+

then ,go with the flow:
    Microsoft 2008 Suite
    Cisco CCNP/CCSP

good luck...

If technician route is what the OP is looking for I'd be inclined to guide him to do the MS Suite 2003/2008 before the likes of CCNA/Linux+/Project+/Security+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's no real IT equivalent to passing an exam and then becoming a Barrister or a Chartered Accountant. The only real way to be recognised as an IT Technician is to get a job as one.

But, the most suitable starting point from a Certification point of view is the entry-level A+, which covers hardware and workstation OS (mostly Windows).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 razbee

hi,just about to start this comptia a+ it technitian course,i dont have the a+, or much experience in computers, jus passed ecdl course recently ,is it gonna be tough for me ?or is it manageable ? do i have a chance in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

razbee wrote: »
    hi,just about to start this comptia a+ it technitian course,i dont have the a+, or much experience in computers, jus passed ecdl course recently ,is it gonna be tough for me ?or is it manageable ? do i have a chance in it ?

i think you have to do the A+ done 1st and then you do the A+ tech.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 razbee

well half of the people in the class didnt do the a+ one but have sum sort of experience in IT so dunno hw im gonna get on?

Advertisement