Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gormless minister

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

I clear footpath outside my property
    person slips on a small bit I missed
    Person sues me because that the kind of ****ty society we live in now
    I'm forced to pay 5-10k for trying to do a good deed.

This is why people refuse to take responsibility for it!

?????

Could someone not sue if you didn't clear and they slipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

?????

Could someone not sue if you didn't clear and they slipped?

no cos it was an "act of god / weather" and you have no responsibility to clear it. By clearing it you are taking responsibility for anyone who falls on that section you cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

no cos it was an "act of god / weather" and you have no responsibility to clear it. By clearing it you are taking responsibility for anyone who falls on that section you cleared.

Fair enough, but could you imagine it going to court in the unlikely event of it happening?

BTW, I presume you mean responsibility in the legal sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Misfeasance vs nonfeasance. In practice nobody is going to successfully sue an individual for 'missing a bit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Anyway all this clear the snow from outside your own house is a load of nonsense - I live in the centre of town i.e. no garden - therefore no tools (shovel, yardbrush etc). Am I supposed to skate down to my local hardware and buy all the needed implements - NO it's the responsibility of the local authorities to keep the pavements safe! In our local paper this week, when the local authority couldn't keep our streets and pavements passable, it was mentioned that they have managed to salt away €650,000 towards a new Town Hall (est.cost €5.5 million) - badly needed I'm sure. :mad:

• Advertisement

In practice for business etc they'd claim off your insurance. As for non-business it unlikely to go further I'd say.

Anyway all this clear the snow from outside your own house is a load of nonsense - I live in the centre of town i.e. no garden - therefore no tools (shovel, yardbrush etc). Am I supposed to skate down to my local hardware and buy all the needed implements - NO it's the responsibility of the local authorities to keep the pavements safe! In our local paper this week, when the local authority couldn't keep our streets and pavements passable, it was mentioned that they have managed to salt away €650,000 towards a new Town Hall (est.cost €5.5 million) - badly needed I'm sure. :mad:

I see what you did there. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

God be with the days when every corner shop was like HEctor Gray - full to the brim with useful items like shovels, brushes, iceskates, salt, pepper, seasalt, plough, harrow and tea.

Now its paninis, guacamole and rooibos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Is that you Des? Happy New Year! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Is that you Des? Happy New Year! :D

Many Happy Returns David ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am not looking forward to what happens when it all starts thawing, alot of the drains and sewers are blocked or partialy blocked with ice and all of what is frozen atm will thaw and hit the drains in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Council will just ignore it, and wait until homes and businesses are flooded.

its not that unusual for 3-4 cm of rain in 24 hours at any point during the year.

There hasn't (yet) been that much snow. I don't forsee major widespread flooding issues tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

its not that unusual for 3-4 cm of rain in 24 hours at any point during the year.

There hasn't (yet) been that much snow. I don't forsee major widespread flooding issues tbh

30 cm snow = 2.5 cm rain, so even 60cm would not be a rare daily amount in rainfall terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

A justified update to the discussion on this forum earlier in the year.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/mediazone/pressreleases/title-1895-en.html

Apologies if its been posted already. Ive been away from boards.

Advertisement